Unicorn

New to the forum? New accounts have a few restrictions...
Get asked this one quite often.  For security reasons, new accounts have a few restrictions.

You will be unable to:
  1. View profiles
  2. Add a signature
  3. Add a website in your profile
  4. Send private messages (PM's)
  5. Post a URL (link).  Targets those who join just to promote unauthorised products and services - including spammers of course.  Count varies according to operational need, but never exceeds 5 posts.
This is unfortunate - but necessary in today's world.  After 5 posts - logout and login again.  The restrictions will be lifted.

Any questions or concerns feel free to post in this thread.

Reminder: Thought I'd leave a note to read the Important Update in the How to Register Guide.  Still see a lot of people using their email address as a Forum Name.  Not recommended!
In addition, and to make this clear - for security reasons - only one registration per member permitted!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Lol - unfortunate phrasing perhaps.  Most of these aren't new, we've had them for some time.  Just thought it was time to get it down in black and white.

Get a ton of questions about this.  Both on the forum and contact page. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

cheers...
Perhaps it may be an idea to restrict the ability to display images too. Also, if the editor provided for new posters is just plain text then that can cover lots of security measures.
(09-28-2020, 04:54 PM)Jefferz Wrote: Perhaps it may be an idea to restrict the ability to display images too. Also, if the editor provided for new posters is just plain text then that can cover lots of security measures.

We've talked about restricting images quite a bit.  As we speak, not suppressing them for anyone with the exception of legacy attachments.  Because that's a different mechanism.  When we have, for one reason or another, registrations went up - but not participation.  Some folks just want to look at pictures.  But participation is the end goal, and makes this a slippery slope for sure.

Forcing source editor mode (text only) by group is more of a challenge.  All or nothing is easier, but point taken. We have restrictions in place, but for obvious reasons - I'll not get into them here. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

cheers...

Update, Nov 2020:  Images are restricted for guests.
I co-administer a forum and we constantly have a problem with new members getting onto the site to sell non related products or post topic unrelated posts. They quickly get removed but it becomes time consuming. I think we may implement something like what you have done here, good idea! -JEP-
The administrators on here do an outstanding job keeping the unrelated and sometimes disgusting posts out of harm's way. Tip of the hat folks!!
hi i think i have been barred for something i dot no about i am not good on computers so please accept my sincere apology if i have done wrong.
Nope.

The system just preventing you from doing certain things.  All explained in this thread, especially the first post.

Edit:  If you're asking about listing in BSS per this post - you can't do that either - not until you have 50 posts.
Am new here and having a hard time navigating.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(10-02-2021, 10:20 AM)Rusticbull Wrote: Am new here and having a hard time navigating.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Forum Guides are your friend.  Maybe start with # 2. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Having been a member of many forums, and owning a forum myself (not currently working, I understand the restrictions placed upon newbies.
I see above you thought of restricting the display of images.
This is my second post. I saw a picture I wanted to see larger and got a message that I was restricted. Is this normal?
Thanks
(05-25-2022, 02:11 AM)Inferno Wrote: Having been a member of many forums, and owning a forum myself (not currently working, I understand the restrictions placed upon newbies.
This is my second post. I saw a picture I wanted to see larger and got a message that I was restricted. Is this normal?
Thanks

Actually - it's your first post.  And yes, we have attachment restrictions under 5 posts.  Depends on the mechanism used for the pic.  If it says something like the below, you've hit it:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Edit:This was a legacy restriction - not sure it's required nowadays.  So I've made some adjustments - check now.
(05-25-2022, 11:19 AM)nixer55 Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 02:11 AM)Inferno Wrote: Having been a member of many forums, and owning a forum myself (not currently working, I understand the restrictions placed upon newbies.
Thanks

Actually - it's your first post.  And yes, we have attachment restrictions under 5 posts.  Depends on the mechanism used for the pic.  If it says something like the below, you've hit it:

Edit:This was a legacy restriction - not sure it's required nowadays.  So I've made some adjustments - check now.
Yup, that was the message. It's working now. 
My first post must not have gone through. I was trying to post a picture, I think. It was late in the evening, I was tired, my cat wanted attention and there were fighter jets overhead. Yeah, that's what happened. 

So this is post #2. Three more to go and I can post a picture of the barrel I'm trying to identify.
(05-26-2022, 02:34 AM)Inferno Wrote: Yup, that was the message. It's working now. 
My first post must not have gone through. I was trying to post a picture, I think. It was late in the evening, I was tired, my cat wanted attention and there were fighter jets overhead. Yeah, that's what happened. 

So this is post #2. Three more to go and I can post a picture of the barrel I'm trying to identify.

You can post pics now if you use Guide # 9 - maybe the view issue put you off.

Best location for unknown darts is the UFO sub-forum.  Just start a new thread there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Tips for the Forum: Help the forum get better and check your image size ! Fred-180 52 17,744 06-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Phil D