Darts Buddy

Allergic to coatings - frustrated
Hi guys,
after a few more experiments I'm pretty sure (and very frustrated) that I'm allergic to the broadly used titanium-nitride coating.

It all started with the Adam Smith-Neale darts (black coating) which I can't throw any longer.
After a few throws with them my fingertips start to hurt.
This is not from too much pressure or any kind of cramping.
The skin looks perfectly normal, only the flesh underneath is aching and tingling.
It feels as if you have been pressing thumbtacks into the wall for some minutes and then your tip of the thumb gives up.

Recently i noticed the same feeling after throwing over an hour with my beloved van der Voort darts (blue coating).

I googled and found some rare mentions of titanium-nitride allergies.
Ironically titanium-nitride coating (gold coating) is also used as an antiallergic.
It seems like I'm the one in a million who's being hit.

At the moment everything looks like I should just forget about beautiful colorful darts and that I'm stuck with plain tungsten.

Does anybody else have similar experiences?

Or does anyone know a method (or service provider) to remove a coating?
I know that it should work theoretically with a sandblaster.

A last option would be to coat the complete dart golden, because this color/composition does not trigger anything.
Is a coating over an existing coating possible ?
After watching this  video (notice the rainbow colours) I placed a new set of darts in my electric oven for an hour, on maximum (250 c for my oven) to see if I could get the multi colored effect, which I thought would look cool, it didnt work, by the way, I dont think  I either had enough direct heat, or, not not enough oxygen or something (I dont think there will be any corona virus on them though) and I dont have a blow torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxcVg2Dfck

I am not sure how permanent the rainbow colours are, by the way, or, how durable it might be (propane can get a fair bit, hotter than butane (after a quick check on google)) the guy doesnt say what gas he used, but, judging by the speed of the colour change the temperature must have been very high, it might have even been oxi.

If you have a blow torch and like the colour black maybe try this idea, on a set of plain tungsten darts to create a black coating ? it is meant to be permanent and durable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfUA1-J1E9M

I havent tried it, but, it looks quite promising and apparently gives a permanent, dark, almost, black coating.

I imagine your problem might be quite rare, like you say, but, that is two possibilities you could probably try out.

The darts I placed in the oven had black  specs on when they arrived which I thought might have been a bit of paint or something, which was one of the reasons I gave it a try thinking it might burn it off, as well as add a bit of colour, I let them cool in air and they do look newer and cleaner than before the oven treatment, but, look like normal new tungsten darts, after cooling down (so, probably wasnt a complete failure, as it removed the black bits from inside the knurling).
Yes its me, I checked in the mirror. 

Current throwing weights of 18 to 24 grams.

Current darts set up :- 23 gram, darts clearance (no name scalloped darts) with a 50 mm barrel, 41 mm nylon shafts + standard flights.
Really interesting. Have you tried going back to a non coated dart, and to make sure the problem goes away?

I've heard of people self painting their darts. Supposedly nail polish works great, and acetone (nail polish remover) on a cloth cleans excess polish that ends up not in the grooves. I keep meaning to try it; I might sneak some of my wife's polish.

So you might try painting over the coating, and it might be a way to add unique color your plain tungsten darts going forward.
All my darts are just plain tungsten. There's no reason why you have to buy any that are coated, and you can sell those that you own that are coated. No point in making things complicated.
That'd be tough to have some favorite darts that don't agree with you. Some of my darts act like they are allergic to my throw always trying to run to a different part of the board. LOL
Do what has been suggested and release them back into the wild and go with non coated barrels. If you paint them you'll change the dynamics of the grip but worth a try to see if it helps your condition. Best of luck
Thank you all for your replies and thoughts.

With black coated darts I even get a tingling feeling in my left hand where I only hold the dart for the next throw.
When I change back to a non-coated dart the fingers feel normal again after some hours.

I just browsed dartscorner in search for some plain tungsten alternatives.
Meanwhile nearly all new interesting darts are coated. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Painting the coated grooves may be a solution.
Pink, red, brown or clear? (I just had at look at my wife's nail polish Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. )
But I have to do this when she doesn't see this. Otherwise she'll declare me completely insane. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Can you put the darts in a high speed drill and take some extra fine sandpaper to them to remove the coating? The coating would still be in thr grooves, but this should remove it from the outside.
(04-09-2020, 08:01 PM)Zero Wrote: Can you put the darts in a high speed drill and take some extra fine sandpaper to them to remove the coating?  The coating would still be in thr grooves, but this should remove it from the outside.
This could work for the smooth ASN darts, but not for the Voort darts which are only coated in the grooves.
I am a little skeptical, because such a coating is also used for drills to make them harder and more resistant to abrasion.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the best solution will be to just buy some new darts. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Sometime I can still get customs with a square grip if I'll find no new dream dart.
wacko idea

how about a copper plating to it?

get some old copper coins - real dirty grubby ones - put them in a cup
pour in some fresh lemon juice

let the citric acid melt away the copper oxide patina to the coins... drain the solution to a new cup - remove and dry the coins (Which will look shiny and new)

then the cup of used lemon juice? drop in your darts.

The copper ions stripped away form the dirty coins should want to stick to the metal of the darts - The flip side is tungsten is pretty resistant to it... but aluminium/ iron/nickel are pretty good... so it will have some effect their - Not too sure about how it will adhere to a titanium nitride coating.

I've only done this on a set of 80% nickel tungsten darts - made them a bit grey and dull - but they feel a bit dry in my hands but I guess if the copper does bind to the iron/nickel it will also corrode and make a nice warm feeling like a proper Copper/tungsten dart will.

may try it on my ugly Winmau Tuscans that have a dreadful full length titanium nitride rainbow coating.

daft idea - but who doesn't play about with baths of acid during a global pandemic - just me eh?
Ryk is currently using:-

Arrows - 16g Harrows Girls Lolita (Reflex Conversion C type):: Stems Edgeglow Purple Short :: Flights Rie Hoshino Marathon :: - Winmau Blade 6
::

(04-10-2020, 08:51 AM)Ryk Wrote: wacko idea

let the citric acid melt away the copper oxide patina to the coins... drain the solution to a new cup - remove and dry the coins (Which will look shiny and new)

The copper ions stripped away form the dirty coins should want to stick to the metal of the darts - The flip side is tungsten is pretty resistant to it... but aluminium/ iron/nickel are pretty good... so it will have some effect their - Not too sure about how it will adhere to a titanium nitride coating.

I've only done this on a set of 80% nickel tungsten darts - made them a bit grey and dull - but they feel a bit dry in my hands but I guess if the copper does bind to the iron/nickel it will also corrode and make a nice warm feeling like a proper Copper/tungsten dart will.

may try it on my ugly Winmau Tuscans that have a dreadful full length  titanium nitride rainbow coating.

daft idea - but who doesn't play about with baths of acid during a global pandemic - just me eh?

That was very mad-scientist-y, but I liked it.  What about just using finger condoms: https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-rubb...did-310269
(04-10-2020, 04:22 PM)Zero Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 08:51 AM)Ryk Wrote: wacko idea

may try it on my ugly Winmau Tuscans that have a dreadful full length  titanium nitride rainbow coating.

That was very mad-scientist-y, but I liked it.  What about just using finger condoms: https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-rubb...did-310269

I really love crazy ideas, please continue!

But the finger condoms seems to be a U.S privilege Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"CVS.com is not available to customers or patients who are located outside of the United States or U.S. territories. We apologize for any inconvenience. "
Love the chemist approach!

I had the idea last night that maybe clear shrink wrap might work too; might be slippery but cheap/easy, worth a try.
Today I tried the nail polish suggestion on my VDV darts.
It seems to be a success, the paint holds on the coating and my fingers don't react strange.

At the moment the darts look ugly as hell, since there is way to much paint in the grooves (and the color turned out strange).
I haven't removed enough paint yet so the grip is unsatisfying. It went down from a 9 to a 6-7.
I just treat it as a proof of concept.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Brilliant! The polish shrunk your stems tho.
Great that it worked!

I bet you could find some electric blue paint or polish and make them actually look like they do in the Winmau promos.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mccoy Titanium coatings question Gotanypop 0 279 03-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Gotanypop