Double Top Darts.

3 out shots to think about at 101
I have often wondered why players go for T17 (51) when they have got 101 left as surely if they hit it they are not going to go for the bull with 2 darts in their hand. This got me thinking and I suppose from hitting the T17 you would have lots of options to leave your favourite double with 50 left. The other solution is that hitting the single a 25 would leave you a final single for tops (40) so it would set it up nicely, but what if you opponent is on a finish you would have not had a shot at the double yourself so could lose the game setting it up with 3 singles, rather than going for the finish. For me I would still go the old T20 route as the single leaves you 81 which is T19 or T15 for a shot at 12's or 18's. It is also worth remembering this is your route for your traditional 9 darter with back to back 180's then the T20 leaving you 81 so it should be a well rehearsed shot for the majority of us that practice 141 regularly on the off chance of the 2 180's happening. These in mind the T19 first could be an option as a T19 leaves 44 so all your favourites are an option with a single number or the single leaves you 82 which is Bull for D16 or a 25 would leave a S17 for tops again. I am not a great lover of D20 so this is why my preferred shot is T20 first but I also feel it is the shot you have been throwing all for your first 12 darts so keep them there. Let me know your choice of shot from 101 as its always good to hear it from others point of view. I will leave you with this thought though if you are way in front in this leg but a couple of legs down the T17 bull is always a great shot to really annoy your opponent and throw him off his game so may help you get the win 3-2. My party piece for 101 is T11 T6 Bull and this brings the house down but have only ever hit it twice in matches when a long way in front and the game had already been won by my team.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.[/php]
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I don't go T17 because I'm not great at it (yet). And a S17 leaves 84, with no single dart option to get to 32 or 40. I usually go T19. Hit it and I'm at 44 with one dart to reach either 32 or 40 (or 36). Hit the single and T14 will still get me to 40.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

I'm a t-20 or t-17 guy - depends on how I feel at the time.
If they pull it off then it will be a great shot!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
There is only one segment on the board that will leave you without a finish if you hit it with your first dart from 101, and that is the S2 (99 is not a 2 dart out). Being that it is right next to the 17, I tend to avoid that shot if I have 101 left and 3 darts in my hand.

I tend to stick with the T20 first dart. 41 and 81 are both pretty handy 2 dart outs, and so are 100 and 96 if you slip into the 5 or 1 with the first dart.
The logical throw for me is at the 20's after all, most of my previous throwing is in this area and if I get a few I'm set for a D top finish (my favourite).

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  shots drifting right yemfrench 2 654 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Rod Dogg
  Wrong out shots ( 3 darts in hand ) BigE 274 30,198 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Milkysunshine
  Memorizing Out Shots darwin1200 35 12,135 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Last Post: BigE