Target Darts.

Dartslive 100s review
I'm fairly new to the world of darts (other than cheap dart sets as a kid that had some sort of baseball game on the back of a steel tip board). I have played soft tip on a cougar machine (coin operated) 3 times at a bar and it worked very well. I don't currently have space for a coin-op game so I wanted to get a smaller home version for now. I bought a bristle board steel tip and have been using that for the past few months.

I looked into multiple units before deciding on the Dartslive 100s. Basically it was between the Archanid 800 or 750, the Viper extreme, or the Dartslive. After reading what reviews I could find it seemed like the Dartslive was the one to get. I've heard of the boards in this price range (150 to 200 US dollars) not lasting very long...and that concerned me. There isn't a lot of data out on the Dartslive but it seems to be sturdy.

The unit comes in a nice box which has an AC adapter packed in. It also takes 4 AA batteries which is a nice feature that most other ones do not seem to have. The batteries seem to be lasting fine. I've played probably about 70-100 games and it's working fine still. The manual is nice and in many languages. They also provided a template for the screws which it mounts to. That worked out very nice for mounting.

I have not tried out the darts that came with the board yet, but they look to be semi-ok darts. Probably better than most that come with these types of boards. A-Zdarts.com is where I got it and they provided me 6 free tungsten darts which actually turned out to be pretty nice. Certainly not high end but I would say mid-range darts. That freebie also made the purchase price of $200 feel better. Though I think it's worth it even without the free darts.

One thing that was immediately obvious to me is the holes in the board are smaller than the arcade machines I was using. In fact the tips I used on the arcade board do not fit in this machine and bounced out 100% of the time. I had read about tips not working before I got it so I was prepared with some Lippoints which work great. The Lippoint tips are super strong and seem to last for a very long time.

I'm using both 16 gram and 18 gram darts (manual says 20 gram is the heaviest you should use on it). So far there are not too many bounce outs. Mostly I bounce out if I throw it poorly, or if it hits exactly on another dart. In general I'd say bounce outs should be minimal for a good player. I found the short Lippoints appeared to work the best on the board (made in Japan).

Scoring has been %100 accurate so far. No miss-reads on any targets.

The only issue I had so far I was able to fix. I am using the 4 batteries vice plugging it in. At first the battery cover seemed a bit touchy. Meaning, the system would turn off and on just nudging the battery cover...like it was losing connection. In fact, at first it would do this reset during a game as I threw the dart onto the board. I looked inside at the battery cover and moved the metal which is housed in a plastic. After adjusting this it wasn't a problem again. I would guess if someone was using the AC adapter this wouldn't be an issue...but I have not tested the AC adapter yet.

The sound is pretty cool and is completely adjustable. That's a nice feature. I don't find the dart hitting the board to be very loud (some people claim it was loud and they claim it's not). My wife didn't hear it much in the other room, so it may not be too bad. Seems pretty normal to me, but of course much louder than steel tip.

Setting up a game is very easy and the menu is good. The manual gives you all the info you need for this. The display is really nice and easy to read. It's well thought out and executed. I understand this can be an issue on some of these machines. So far I find it's easy to read and provides you with the data you need. It would have been nice to get a marks per round after the game, but it's not a big deal for me.

It has a artificial intelligence player which has 5 levels. I being new at darts can barely beat the first level...so it seems to be set a little high. Such as, if I play cricket, the computer is a point b*tch and racks up points quite a bit. Sometimes the computer with hit 7 or 8 marks to rack up points. On 301 and 501 the computer seems be a pretty good finisher. I'm sure a fairly good player would beat the first level OK, but I found it to be about as good as the guy I play from work who is a pretty good player (something like a 24 handicap).

Overall I am really happy with it. It's set up next to my steel tip board and looks nice. Hoping it continues to work as good as it is right now.
Great review Golgo! very interesting to read about it and well explained, have a +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice review GOLGO. I would suggest adding pictures. Just be nice to see the battery door problem you are talking about and just the overall look of the board. Still a +1 from me.
(12-18-2013, 01:59 PM)uncle poop Wrote: Nice review GOLGO. I would suggest adding pictures. Just be nice to see the battery door problem you are talking about and just the overall look of the board. Still a +1 from me.

No problem...I will post some pictures this evening.
This is a picture of my two boards setup. My floor is slightly sloped because of a drain, so the two may appear not perfectly in line. I had to use a laser to get the proper height for both of them.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Below is a picture of the battery holder piece which initially was giving me some trouble. I was able to slide that metal a little to the left to line it up better which seemed to fix all my issues with it.

Thanks for the update pics! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for the pic update. Helps show what you were talking about in the review.
Wanted to give an update on the board now that I've been using it quite a bit.

So far the board still works as good as it did when I got it. I've been throwing quite a bit on it...both with it on and off. The plastic which divides the scoring beds has some slight dents here and there. Nothing major, but it's taking some wear. Everything still seems to score fine.

Surprisingly I'm still on the same batteries and they seem to be going strong. That's quite a bit of battery life!

The robot player sometimes can be really good! I'm at least able to beat him a bit now (we're talking robot 1 out of 5...5 being the hardest). Yesterday I was playing cricket and I was probably averaging 3 marks per round. He cleaned me out and I would guess he was probably 4.5 marks per round. I was thinking, really? This is the easiest? But sometimes they don't play too well. I'd say the strategy against the computer is different than a real person. For instance, if the computer close bulls early, he'll pound those until you close them out. Pointing like crazy. Still, it's fun here and there to play against something. And makes for a little more realistic timing between throws.

The free darts I got from A-zdarts were not bad. I'd guess they were $25 tungsten darts a piece. That would be a nice little starting kit for a beginner.

I would say if someone had the room and extra cash it would be worth getting a coin-op machine used. Around here there are a lot of Valley cougar machines. Some of them have taken a huge pounding over the years, and they still work quite well! I'd imagine if you found one in good shape it would last forever in a home environment. I've seen them go around $500-800 on ebay. I know there are arcade auctions where you could probably get one for $100 if there were not too many people trying for them.

I however don't have the room right now for a machine and the footprint of this board is tiny. Especially nice with the battery option.
battery life is good then!

So far it sounds like its doing well, will be interested on future reports, cheers! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

good info. glo
its nice that the board is holding up well
i like shooting at my steel board at home to much to switch
but i think i would get a dartslive because of reviews like yours

next time you get beat by the "robot"
say this "MEAN ROBOTS SUCK" FROM TRANSFORMERS 2 LOL

are they using valley cougar boards in the pubs in st. louis or did they upgrade to dartslive or arachnid?
(02-02-2014, 06:46 PM)181-3dartout Wrote: are they using valley cougar boards in the pubs in st. louis or did they upgrade to dartslive or arachnid?

The pubs I throw in are using older machines like the Valley cougars (one bar has newer valley machines). These are small bars which probably won't upgrade to something like a Dartslive ever. But I don't know about the downtown bars. We did play on one Archanid machine, but it didn't seem like a nice one.

Most of the bars around here have both steel and soft which is nice. They seem to alternate days for the leagues.
Im about to put a bid on an Arachnid 2 standup machine that looks good . I have played on it before so I know it works well
just been looking to see if i can get one of these in the UK ........£207.70 !!!! mental price for a dartboard at 100 maybe even at a push 150 i'd be tempted
(10-07-2014, 02:36 PM)jamie373 Wrote: just been looking to see if i can get one of these in the UK ........£207.70 !!!! mental price for a dartboard at 100 maybe even at a push 150 i'd be tempted

That's insane!

That's about what I paid in Canadian dollars!
in GBP I paid roughly 130 including shipping
yeah its too much and not conducive to encouraging the soft tip game here but of course you can get cheaper boards but if this is the best I want that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dartslive 100s... Review... Of sorts Jugger 27 11,564 08-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Jugger