Light weight darts
Some interesting comments on the heavy weight thread, so how about the other end. What are the lightest weights you have tried? What did you think in terms of throwability?
Lightest I have gone to is 20gm. Control to me is not so good, it is if you don't have anything in your hand virtually so lighter than this to me will make this feel even worse.
I see the there are 12g ones available. I would like to try them just for fun but will not buy them just to try. Also would like to try the 48g ones as well, again just for the experience.
My normal match darts are anything between 21g and 24g, but the lightest set I've hit a 180 with is 6g - the Voks Mosquito's - although they are more training darts to make sure you throw and follow through correctly.

The lightest "proper" darts I've used are the A180 Stephen Buntings at 12g - great darts. Have also got and used other lightweight steel tip sets such as the 14g Hankey's, 15g Priestley's and 15g Bunting's among others.
Tried some Harrows soft tipped miniature darts. Basically a brass cylinder with 2ba threads each end... 1.6 grams of the very finest knurled zinc copper alloy. Bolt on a conversion tip and your own stem/ flight system and wham!

Well actually you get a whisper - these are super quiet - and any low mass dart should have a low energy impact with your board so generate less noise compared to a heavier dart.

Light darts are loads of fun but for me they require more active focus on my part in the throw. Have a wayward throw and it will miss by a mile.

I like them as it does reset my head for a different set of darts - And any proper set of darts after them feel like substantial bits of kit with lashings of inertia to throw against.

I would guess it would be mentally taxing to throw very low mass darts for extended periods and they will amplify any wobbles, variance and errors in your throw - you could get frustrated quicker as small errors will turn into a wide miss.

Light darts also have less penetration - so if you have a limp/soft/gentle throw you may have a dart hit the target but fall out. Easy to fix with scuffing the tip of silver points.
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
Lightest is 12g ring grip darts that was bought during my exploratory days to see what I like.

Although that was sold I'm again considering buying some smooth 12g for practice, but don't really want to pay £35 for them knowing that about £28 of that is mostly for the Stephen Bunting branding (of which I care zilch about).

I quite regularly use some 17g copper tungstens though.
(08-29-2019, 01:58 PM)Jefferz Wrote: Lightest is 12g ring grip darts that was bought during my exploratory days to see what I like.

Although that was sold I'm again considering buying some smooth 12g for practice, but don't really want to pay £35 for them knowing that about £28 of that is mostly for the Stephen Bunting branding (of which I care zilch about).

I quite regularly use some 17g copper tungstens though.

There is the Designa Ultralight Range, although nothing in a smooth barrel. Considerably cheaper for just trying out really light darts though.
[Image: 5GPKrWp.png]

B: 23g   S: Short   F: No.6   180s: 2/25
(08-29-2019, 02:19 PM)jt4527 Wrote: There is the Designa Ultralight Range, although nothing in a smooth barrel. Considerably cheaper for just trying out really light darts though.
Cheers. The ring gripped ones were the ones I used to have. Now, I'm specifically looking for totally smooth 10g or 12g as a practice darts. And because I'm quite liking smooth barrels right now.
(08-29-2019, 02:43 PM)Jefferz Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 02:19 PM)jt4527 Wrote: There is the Designa Ultralight Range, although nothing in a smooth barrel. Considerably cheaper for just trying out really light darts though.
Cheers. The ring gripped ones were the ones I used to have. Now, I'm specifically looking for totally smooth 10g or 12g as a practice darts. And because I'm quite liking smooth barrels right now.

I've also got my eye on the Bunting 12g darts just to try both a really light darts and a smooth barrel, but I think I might just get the 12g Designa razor grip set just to try the weight out - really can't afford Target money for dart I may only throw a few times Smile

(08-29-2019, 02:58 PM)jt4527 Wrote: I've also got my eye on the Bunting 12g darts just to try both a really light darts and a smooth barrel, but I think I might just get the 12g Designa razor grip set just to try the weight out - really can't afford Target money for dart I may only throw a few times Smile

Yeah that's it, it's hardly worth shelling out that amount if they're only going to be thrown occasionally. I'll either wait for Darts Clearance to sell something similar at a much more reasonable price, or wait until they curiously pop through my letterbox immediately following a drunken weekend  Rebel  dunno.
(08-29-2019, 02:58 PM)jt4527 Wrote:

I've also got my eye on the Bunting 12g darts just to try both a really light darts and a smooth barrel, but I think I might just get the 12g Designa razor grip set just to try the weight out - really can't afford Target money for dart I may only throw a few times Smile

could try these for 15 quid

https://www.puredarts.co.uk/iceberg-soft...-only.html
(08-29-2019, 03:11 PM)philliesricky Wrote: could try these for 15 quid

Cheers, but they have to be either 10 or 12g. I have some 17g copper tungstens which are almost smooth.
My usual weight is 22g but I have in my collection the 12g Stephen Bunting Gen1 Nano grips and the 21g Version. 12g darts aren't great to throw but after a little while with them you kind of just get used to them. Very unforgiving on the accuracy.

I also have a set of these Harrows Mini Fun Set That I used to pose my Newborn son with when he was born. Tried to throw them but with my dustbin lid hands there wasn't much success in even getting them to stay in the board.

I do think it is good to have a Light set and a Heavy set in the arsenal just to test every now any again. Helps to recentre yourself, grip/stance/action etc
THE JESTER
(08-29-2019, 03:11 PM)philliesricky Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 02:58 PM)jt4527 Wrote:

could try these for 15 quid

Thanks for the link, but definitely looking to go all out and as low as 12g if I am going to do it!

For competition, I throw 22g and 23g darts

So my kitchen scales only measure to the gram, not tenths. I expect a tolerance in accuracy. I've got a set of Bottlesen Hammer Heads weighing in at 13g (barrel/point) and 15g fully assembled. They are fun to play with.

SPACE FOR RENT

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which dart weight to choose? Heavy or light? The D'Artist 70 136,643 01-25-2020, 08:14 AM
Last Post: BadMojo
  Light darts Matt.1994 22 1,594 05-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Last Post: holmesness
  How to manage weight difference between steel and soft darts? Che-Min Tsai 11 686 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Who has changed weight drastically. Dart weight that is. cubdog 16 1,289 01-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Red'75™
  Light darts Kaigen Moore 20 1,874 11-27-2018, 03:27 AM
Last Post: The G
  Is there a "What weight darts do you throw" poll? Greener 17 3,836 07-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Last Post: puddin
  LIGHT DARTS FOR REAR GRIPPERS ? ChrisTheFish 11 1,510 04-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Last Post: benjarnis
  ultra light darts venom 19 6,194 03-27-2018, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
Star Yeah Buddy, Light Weight Fred-180 11 1,817 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Fred-180
  MVG Darts Weight blacko 23 5,520 12-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Last Post: XuHi