Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Noob seeking help/advice on purchase
I am hoping to get some help choosing some darts to purchase.   I am on a constrained budget so I am pretty much tied to the money range of these darts.  And I am house-bound and don't know any darts people locally to ask.  This is a project I decided to try a month or so ago for entertainment, recreation and exercise.  (It's a long story, but I enjoy just competing with myself. "Can I do this just a little bit better?")

So a couple weeks ago I bought a no-name bristle board on Amazon for $20,,,, I didn't want to spend more if it turned out that I wouldn't like darts after all.  Ditto a set of darts, cheapo darts you can find with any number of company "logos" (same darts with various names on it), all the same with "seller's" paint-job.  I'd never thrown a dart before, so it was just to see if I enjoyed it.

It turns out I am liking it pretty well and thought I might try out something a tad better.  I was hoping some folks on here might have some experience with one or more of these darts which are in my "learning/trying" stage budget.  So any input would be most welcome.  Oh yeah, due to my financial situation, purchasing from Amazon is my only option.

Harrows Genesis 25g.

Red Dragon Razor Edge 23g.

Red Dragon Javelin 24g.

Red Dragon Hell Fire B: 24g.

Red Dragon Amberjack 5: 24g.

I would welcome any and all input on these (or others in the same price range that can be found on Amazon.)

Thanks so much,,,,
I don't have any experience with any of these but I think your in the right weight to start out.
The Harrows look really nice and seem to fit a middle gripper which is safe
The Amberjacks have grip for front and rear so you can choose as your game develops.
It looks like you're on a roll.
(07-26-2019, 04:14 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: ,,,,,,,, I think your in the right weight to start out. ,,,,,,, seem to fit a middle gripper which is safe,,,,,,  have grip for front and rear so you can choose as your game develops.

Thanks for the reply.   Having never flung a dart in my life until a couple of weeks ago that is EXACTLY the kind of input I am seeking. It's the sort of thing I would not have thought about or considered on my own. 

(Yeah, I meant to say "flung", at this stage that best describes what I am doing,  but the many on-line advice & tips videos are helping with that.)
You've picked some good darts! Not just budget darts.

A couple classic great similar but less expensive options:
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/search/resul...Multi+Ring
I love the Multi Ring. It looks MUCH better in person BTW. Also, you pay the £12.49 (under $16) since you won't have to pay VAT (tax).

Many people love the Dark Thunders; it's another great classic dart:
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?...0266d309ad
there's many great Designa options that don't break the bank and will allow you to experiment with various weights/shapes.

And one more, from Darts Clearance on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20g-22g-24g-Tun...%7Ciid%3A1

Welcome to the most frustrating fun you can have!
 As far as you choices, I would try the Javilins or the Amberjacks. Reason being they both offer multiple grip options, front,middle & rear as Slingblade mentioned. I would stay away from the razor grip as that is the most aggressive grip there is and I think a middle style would be best to start with. If I remember right, dart grips are rated from 1-10 with 1 being the least aggressive. I would think the razors would be up there...a 9 or 10.
A side note here...Do your self a favor and pick up the book "Darts- From Beginning to End" if you can swing it. This book will teach you from the basics all the way to winning. Most important (to me anyway) it teaches you HOW to practice.
Good luck on you journey into the darting world.....you'll have a lot of fun and meet some great people!
Shoot well Spalpeen!
(07-26-2019, 02:29 PM)Baloos Wrote: Reason being they both offer multiple grip options, front,middle & rear as Slingblade mentioned.,,,,,, I would stay away from the razor grip as that is the most aggressive grip there is and I think a middle style would be best to start with. If I remember right, dart grips are rated from 1-10 with 1 being the least aggressive.,,,,,,,
A side note here...Do your self a favor and pick up the book "Darts- From Beginning to End" if you can swing it.

It really helps me when several people agree on something while passing on advice,, thanks.  And thanks on the mention of "aggressive grip",,,, another thing I had no idea to consider.

If things stay good I'll pick up that book, thanks.
Noticed the Amazon request after I posted.
Here's an Amazon.uk deal on a great classic dart; packaged/painted a little differently it's the Steve Beaton dart, another generally well liked classic dart:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C...UTF8&psc=1

I'd look at Darts Clearance on ebay.

You can get 10 sets of standard flights for £2.70 and 5 sets of nylon stems for £1.49. That should keep you going for a good while.

Plenty of choice of darts for £10 to £15 a set.

There's a set that looks a lot like Eric Bristow darts for £10.99

I expect a lot of players started with something similar. I know I did.
The RD Razor's Edge Phase 1 were my first 'serious' dart when I got back into the game after a decades long absence. I had the 26g version, which I don't see as available in your link.  Not a deal breaker, but you may find a little heavier dart helps steady a fledgling throwing motion.

Aggressive grip along the length of the barrel, so a decent choice no matter where you hold the dart.  They shouldn't slip, that's for sure.  As your game progresses, you may find that grip a little too sharp.  Hard to say, everyone's different.  Certainly a solid and no nonsense dart well suited to developing throwers.

But it's also useful to have barrels with a little more shape, and I see some in that list.  I personally find a thicker barrel can help with grip at times.  Especially when it gets tentative, and you have little confidence.  But again, it's impossible to speculate, we're all so different.  Some of these things you just have to try for yourself.

cheers, and good luck...

Edit: I see some suggestions to give the Razor's a pass.  Can't argue with those statements - aggressive grip is a two edged sword. No pun intended. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  I too eventually moved on, but threw some decent darts with my old Razor's.  Eventually passed them on to another new player, but not without some regret.  Threw my first max with those darts. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My advice is a little bit different I think:  Many dart players get hung up on the dart itself but I would encourage you not to do that.  99% of them will tell you tungsten is better than brass, after all, "none of the pros throw brass darts" etc etc, but I do not believe that.  I have as much fun throwing brass darts as I do any other kind of dart, no matter how fancy they are.  So, my advice would be to get 2 sets, one of the less expensive tungsten sets you mentioned, and a cheap brass set as well.  It will be a lot bigger, and different to throw, but throwing different size, shape, and style of darts can be very illuminating when examining your own mechanics.  For the most part, darts are interchangeable.  The dart itself matters very little. Whether you hit the target is matter of a combination of two things:  perfecting your mechanics and confidence.  You hit what you believe you are going to hit, and good mechanics will help with consistence and grouping.

Try something like this big brass dart on Amazon.
I have to agree that it's not the dart it's the player. I'm pretty sure I'm like most of you and have lots of darts that I don't throw anymore but really if you practice with one set and improve your throw you'll improve pretty fast, or more steadily, than if you get all hung up on trying so many different darts, like I have done.
We're all supporting your new found love of the game buddy. Now go practice LOL
Thanks everyone for the input and comments.  They really we were helpful in making me more comfortable in making a selection.

So I ordered the Amberjack 5: 24g.  The comments lead me to think I wanted an option that would allow some tweaking where I grip the dart and to begin by avoiding a too aggressive grip in the beginning.  If I got that wrong it my mistake, not the any of the posters.
I think you'll be happy; it's a quality dart. Anyhow as mentioned above, it's more about the player than the dart. Hope they arrive quickly and enjoy!

Enjoy your new darts and please let us know how it goes for you! I hope this game is everything you need it to be for you and more. It is for me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-27-2019, 01:23 AM)Zero Wrote: Enjoy your new darts and please let us know how it goes for you! I hope this game is everything you need it to be for you and more.

Thanks, for the kind welcome.

@ Everyone.   Thank you all for the considerate replies, they were very helpful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EDIT -Hunting Monsters - DC PURCHASE -thread detailing my dart decisions CalixNL 76 2,731 05-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  Best light darts to purchase? MB_AV 3 481 04-04-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  Where to purchase Peter Wright darts? Dwing 3 809 12-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Last Post: The G