Cuesoul

Balance Point of darts
I never used to check the balance point of my darts simply because I always held the darts at the front regardless. But since I have been checking them for reviews in most cases no matter where the balance is without stem and flights it seems the manufacturers supply a setup that moves the balance to or close to the centre.

This seems to tally with our "Where do you grip your darts" poll in that most people must be middle grippers and the darts companies are taking that as the average person. I know our poll is close between middle and rear grip: https://www.dartsnutz.net/showthread.php?tid=2801 but I think they are still catering more for the middle grippers.

The old saying is that you should hold the dart at or close to the balance point so does that mean us front grippers are at a disadvantage? Should we use shorter barrels and short stems to push the balance to the front? By doing that we are losing the stabilising affect of a longer stem are we not?

What say you oh wise people?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Well I'm a rear gripper and I throw fairly flat and fast so I think it is better for me to have long shafts and and smaller flights. Regardless I set up my darts to my throw overall not for certain aspects of it. I don't think it matters in the long run. If you throw your darts and you are have a problem with the flight adjust accordingly. Well that's how I see it
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
So is the old saying of holding the balance point a myth? I cant think of many top champs who are front grippers, Bob Anderson is one, not sure if Priestly is.

But why are the supplied set ups seemingly pushing the full set ups balance to the centre?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

This brings up something I've been wondering about. If the barrel is shorter than the ones we normally use would we need to use a longer stem? The balance of the barrel could be in the same part but our throw would be off by the shortness of the dart. Or does my inexperience show and if I use in-between now I would just swap out that stem to the new dart?
Priestley is a front gripper and to be honest I don't know. It's not something I have thought about. I throw my Priestley's from the rear with slickstick shafts and small taylor DMX flights and they fly straight for me. Mind you my Priestley's are 20g so not very long so maybe I do hold them fairly near to the centre? I will need to check
I just went and threw for a few minutes with a variety of darts, alternating between front and (my usual) middle grips. Mostly, they all seemed to fly and land the same no matter where I gripped them. But with the longer sets, if I held them up front I'd sometimes poke myself in the face (which is why went to a mid-grip and shorter stems in the first place). The one exception is a set of short 22g bombers -- I can't control them well if I hold them way up front, even though the balance point is way forward.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Well we are looking at pretty much straight barrel shapes. I prefer a front weighted barrel especially if it has some kind of stem or scallop for the back finger and thumb. I would say the balance point for my current darts would be toward the front that is where a lot of the weight is. I may need to check that when I get home.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to hold a dart. I used to hold a dart with two fingers and thumb. I have since moved to a three finger and thumb hold. I feel I hit closer to my targets and the darts do not feel loose in my grip. What would be ideal is to rearrange my hand so that I have the thumb and another finger on one side and two other fingers on the other.
If you can put your darts in bed needed you may even hold them with cheeks of your moon,no one cares if you can hit target
180-1(33)

true there is no right or wrong way, but I think the companies seem to supply a set which makes you think that they are catering for middle grippers, this would need a scientific study to determine if a dart thrown holding the centre of gravity/balance point is the optimum place, but to do that they would need a robot arm to throw it each time to make sure its only the grip point thats changing.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I think that we have to look at how much change a long stem with the same flight changes the balance point, my observation is thet it is very minimal, less than 5mm. Although I do love and appreciate your reviews Grippo the eraser that you use in them could give an inaccurate reading due to being so wide unless you are using one of the leading edges (sorry buddy, dont ban me lol). A more accurate reading would be to use something extremely thin and try to counter balance it with your hands until you find a point where it wants to tilt one way then the other, then you would make a visual assessment using one of the rings on the grip (if any)where that balance point is, place them on a piece of paper that has a line drawn on it at the according balance points, or use windows paint or photo shop to draw a line.

Throwing darts as we all know is akin to an individuals finger prints, I am assuming that a rear gripper has no problem releasing the dart at a point up angle were a front gripper needs the weight at the back to help achieve this, Thats probably why we all prefer different positions on the barrel. (Its only a guess lol)

I have a center grip or ever so slightly forward of the BP for two reasons, first is I can feel if I am griping the dart in the right spot just by feeling if it is trying to slightly tip backwards, and two, during the release the dart is at a backwards angle and my thumb cannot push the darell because it is tilting backwards (if that makes seance).
For many years I always preferred a longer barrel and came to this conclusion due to having overly large hands, but as I progressed and my throw changed along with some serious thought on what type of barrel would give my throw the most benefit, I now lean towards the shortest barrel my big mits can handle (40-45mm), A shorter barrel can be corrected by a flight quicker due to having the weight of the extremity's closer to the BP, unfortunately for me a short 26g dart is hard to find but for those who prefer something lighter there is more options available, I now use a Hamilton style Unicorn Gripper dart that fly's straighter than any 50/+mm straight barrel I have ever thrown, or rather corrects itself extremely quick even with pear flights and short stems due to being a shorter barrel that is tapered on both ends keeping most of the weight near the BP so the flights can do there work easily, plus the added benefit of being a fat dart (makes for better release) it has a long tapperd nose, combine this with long points and grouping in a bull shouldnt be a problem for someone a lot better than I lol.
A shorter barrel should also have the advantage of the tip doing smaller rotations opposed to its longer cousin if there is wobble in the throw.

I do think Grippo's earlier comment of a shorter barrel for forward gripers would suite the majority, but not all, in particular (for the latter) those who release point down who need the added weight at the rear to aid in correcting this.

My 2c
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
Some good points G, I think this is something that needs further investigation and testing, if I get chance I will do a few experiments myself.

I understand what your saying about the eraser for testing the balance but I actually picked that because I was thinking its close to the width of a finger or thumb (except your enormous appendage) so would be more like the balance we achieve when holding the dart. It would be nice to find a way that is more specific though. Maybe suspending the dart from some string until its level?

One thing I did try was to balance the barrel over two sets of scales to see if I could equal the same weight on each scale, it was not easy to do though as I think the scales are not so accurate when the weight is on the edges.

I will get something better eventually Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yea, the string dosent work, tryed it lol
you could put a match or a nail on the eraser, then you sorta shimmy it around until it wants to drop one way then the other, you will get a general idea within a 1mm of the BP, but you will never balance it.
MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's
hmmm, it can be awkward if its got deep or wide space edges or razor grips, I will try a few things out.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dart balance bdebbane 3 753 06-22-2018, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Balance between practice and web cam darts Tom12481 4 525 02-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Last Post: wongerchi