Shot Darts

Pentathlon Royal 23g darts review

Before I start I just want to say Sorry Uncle Poop but its another nice gold set! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Ok lets get started. These are the Pentathlon Royal 23g Gold ti coated 90% tungsten darts. Pentathlon is a brand that comes under the Retriever Sports company that also make Elkadart. Everything is made in England including the cases and packaging. Obviously the tungsten will be imported but the darts are fabricated in their factory in Slough. The only U.K. brand that still has 100% of their stock made here from what I'm aware, which is nice Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

They come in a nicely styled box with a pic of Buckingham Palace, maybe the Queen throws these darts? The darts are fitted with medium alloy stems which are also fitted with "O" rings to stop them loosening, the flights are standard shape Pentathlon picture flights with the clear Pentathlon window, I think they were the first flights to have that feature. Supplied in the box is also a hard plastic case and point protector. They retail for £22.50 so excellent value for money!

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you can see from the pics they are another very nice gold set with a pretty awesome looking grip. It has a very gentle scallop in the middle and a short bull nose with the aggressive grip sections on the front and rear. The grip sections have lateral grooves cut along their length which gives the grip a kind of saw tooth feel.

Barrel Length:

Barrel Width:

The barrels were very closely matched but closer to 24g, so not sure why, but at least they were all near the same weight:

The weight of the full set up as supplied:

Detailed barrel dimensions:

The balance without stem or flight was just in front of centre, so a pretty evenly balanced dart:

Balance with supplied setup is spot on the centre:

Balance point with my own medium, short and extra short stems and Darts Nutz standard flights (get yours from Infinitidarts.com)

My natural grip with these darts:

They land in just the right angle for me:

Conclusion:

As I often say I don't usually get on well with darts that are aggressively cut. These look aggressive and have a lot of bite but the angles of the razor grip are not so severe as to be a hindrance, in fact they felt very secure without been off putting. Either that or I am beginning to improve my deftness of touch, I kind of hope thats the case Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The scallop part is a very gently curve and as I find with all scallop sections it is comfy in the fingers but I cant throw from there, I tried but it did not feel right, but strangely when I tried from the rear section it was better than the middle and almost as easy as my more natural grip.

I quite enjoyed throwing these darts, they actually felt lighter than they are and I think its because they are evenly weighted but they were quite zippy to throw, may be because the grip is providing an extra forward momentum? They seem to be flattening out as I threw them so I figure they will suit people who have a flatter style of throw.

They are great value for money but it does say 23g on the pack and mine were closer to 24g, could be I got the wrong set but at least all three barrels were only 7 hundreths of a gram in difference, which is nothing.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9 (another great looking gold set)
Grip: 9 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 7 (closely matched but nearer to 24g than 23g?)
Quality: 8 (would have been a 9 but for the above)
Value: 9 (superb value)
Suitability for me: 7 (surprisingly nice to throw and suited me better than I thought they would)

Best Feature: The Grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice reveiw Darren - I have wondered about the quality of the Pentathlon darts. Don't know anyone who has them so only seen pictures
Quality is fine from what I have seen, and the flights are a well known quality too. There is a few sets I would like to try yet. There is a set with a Dudbridge style grip I like the look of Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

LOL, those are some nice looking darts. Not sure without having them in hand but they may not work with my grip. Send them to me so I can check, send that board as well so I can try those darts out in their proper environment.

Great review as always Grip, I always look forward to your reviews. Maybe when I get my PureDarts order in I will review what I got.
Those are 24gm darts IMO. Mis- packaged?
Good review mate.
Great review mate. I like the look of these and had never even heard of them or knew that the brand that made the flights made darts.

Darts are on my want list lol.
Those are pretty darts!
(12-06-2013, 08:01 PM)uncle poop Wrote: LOL, those are some nice looking darts. Not sure without having them in hand but they may not work with my grip. Send them to me so I can check, send that board as well so I can try those darts out in their proper environment.

Great review as always Grip, I always look forward to your reviews. Maybe when I get my PureDarts order in I will review what I got.

The grip is quite grippy but its nice and uniform and closely spaced so there is no adverse angles with big gaps to throw the dart off unless your gripping it too tightly.

(12-06-2013, 09:12 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Good review mate.

Thanks Pops!

(12-06-2013, 10:27 PM)Hackett180 Wrote: Great review mate. I like the look of these and had never even heard of them or knew that the brand that made the flights made darts.

Cheers! I don't know if all the range is available in U.K. shops but it should be soon, there is some nice ones, I like the Legacy and Legend models too. The Cape Carnaveral are nice and these Mt Rushmore:

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review. I am tempted because my grip would put my thumb right where the concaved part is and middle finger just on forward grip and index on rear. I use more a 42 mm barrel. How you think these would work being longer?
Once again, great review mate - only seen them in 25g on Puredarts site, good to see a close up and how (in my opinion) nasty those lateral cuts are, there dosent seem to be any care taken whilst gouging those out, scratching into the back of the barrel - great amount of grip though.

Similar grip to the McCoy Panther Claws by the look of it.

+1 for the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-07-2013, 01:33 AM)kalaben Wrote: Nice review. I am tempted because my grip would put my thumb right where the concaved part is and middle finger just on forward grip and index on rear. I use more a 42 mm barrel. How you think these would work being longer?

Thanks Kal, I think as its a 6mm difference it may depend on what stems you normally use, if you normally use say a medium stem then you could affect the balance by using short or extra short, its worth a try.

(12-07-2013, 02:16 AM)REBEL Wrote: Once again, great review mate - only seen them in 25g on Puredarts site, good to see a close up and how (in my opinion) nasty those lateral cuts are, there dosent seem to be any care taken whilst gouging those out, scratching into the back of the barrel - great amount of grip though.

Similar grip to the McCoy Panther Claws by the look of it.

+1 for the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Greg Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think it must be a hard thing to get perfect with lateral cuts, not sure as I have never machined anything, but I have noticed that on other darts with the same kind of cuts, I think that could also be why its harder to get the weight right too as they must start with cutting the main grip out to produce a certain weight then depending on how the lateral cuts go it will reduce that weight further but may not be as exacting if you see what I mean. Of course they could always drill the centre more to remove some weight.

Now that I have tried this grip though I fancy giving those Panther Claw a try too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(12-06-2013, 10:56 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 08:01 PM)uncle poop Wrote: LOL, those are some nice looking darts. Not sure without having them in hand but they may not work with my grip. Send them to me so I can check, send that board as well so I can try those darts out in their proper environment.

The grip is quite grippy but its nice and uniform and closely spaced so there is no adverse angles with big gaps to throw the dart off unless your gripping it too tightly.

(12-06-2013, 09:12 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Good review mate.

Thanks Pops!

(12-06-2013, 10:27 PM)Hackett180 Wrote: Great review mate. I like the look of these and had never even heard of them or knew that the brand that made the flights made darts.

Cheers! I don't know if all the range is available in U.K. shops but it should be soon, there is some nice ones, I like the Legacy and Legend models too. The Cape Carnaveral are nice and these Mt Rushmore:

I haven't seen any of the American line on the u.k. Websites- just here in the US. Horizon Darts carries them as well as Mueller
Hmmm, may be they just for the U.S. market then?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Just bought a set of these last week for 18 pounds. Was thinking this was pretty cheap so looked around again at prices and now they seem to be higher and to much in US ($60+). The place I bought mine are out of stock. hehe Bought mine at puredarts.co.uk Hope to have them this week.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pentathlon TDP T4 24g darts review Getagrip 11 6,104 02-04-2021, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Pentathlon Old Faithful 001 23g (Dartsclearance) Don Q 13 781 06-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Don Q
  Reviewed Pentathlon Darts index mc1958 3 1,828 06-11-2020, 08:23 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  American Pentathlon 001 (DartsClearance) Review atison 21 3,170 03-13-2020, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Cloud 9
  Pentathlon TDP T6 24g darts review Getagrip 13 5,848 11-07-2019, 05:56 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Pentathlon TDP T1 23g darts review Getagrip 24 13,881 03-31-2019, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Mac-attack99
  Pentathlon TDP T2 23g darts review Getagrip 18 11,799 02-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Anyone throw these Pentathlon's (Darts Clearance) atison 10 2,072 02-07-2018, 01:42 AM
Last Post: atison
  Pentathlon TDP T5 22g darts review Getagrip 12 5,605 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM
  Pentathlon TDP T3 23g darts review Getagrip 15 10,496 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM