Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Need advice from rear grippers
Hi

I have now found myself a nice set of darts I'm practicing with. Barrels are 50.9 mm long and I have some medium stems from Target 48 mm. That gives me a dart of total length of 98.9 mm.

Sometimes I feel they are a fraction too long and I tend to get a little fishtail, if I'm not throwing and gripping the dart absolutely perfect. 

To make it a bit easier for me I have thought about getting some Intermediate stems from Target at 41 mm giving me a dart that is 7 mm shorter. This will almost fore sure lower the chances for getting a fishtail etc.

I know the stems alone are kinda cheap but since I live a log way from a dartsshop I have to pay for postage, to receive the stems, so therefore I would like to ask you here, if you think that I would help me getting some 7 mm shorter stems for my setup?

Thanks!
Bit off the wall... but you could cut the tip off a set of flights (cheap basic ones!) ... this will let you slide them in "deeper" than usual into your stems as much as you trim off the tip of the flights. - I'd measure with a marker pen first, then cut after you are sure... And remember you can always cut more off next time... you can't put it back on!

Measure twice; cut once.

Not perfect but the effect will move the centre of pressure caused by the flights closer to the barrel of the dart - so should mimic a shorter stem. until you can get a set of them.
Ryk is currently using:-

Arrows - 16g Harrows Girls Lolita (Reflex Conversion C type):: Stems Edgeglow Purple Short :: Flights Rie Hoshino Marathon :: - Winmau Blade 6
::

(01-26-2019, 01:59 PM)cpohd Wrote: Hi

I know the stems alone are kinda cheap but since I live a log way from a dartsshop I have to pay for postage, to receive the stems, so therefore I would like to ask you here, if you think that I would help me getting some 7 mm shorter stems for my setup?

Thanks!

You may run into another problem with shorter stems.   Your flights will be closer to your hand being as how you're a rear gripper and that little bit of distance may find your flights nicking your fingers on the release depending on how you hold the dart in your hand and what size flights your are using in your set-up.
I'm a rear gripper, my barrels are 48mm, shafts are 35mm, so shaft and barrel measures 83mm, a lot shorter than the OP's .
I've never had any problems with flights catching my hand, I wouldn't say my grip is any different from most peoples.
Thanks for your tips everyone. And thanks for pointing out the issue with going shorter stems and flight closer to my hand. Though I have played with short stems too which is only 34 mm and gave me a total of 84.9 mm. The flight didn't hit my fingers when throwing that short dart, so I guess the Intermediate won't be a problem either, but the dart felt too short, meaning the tip of the dart felt too heavy and out of balance.

So now I have tried a "too short" dart and a "too long dart" feelwise for me, so that's why I thought that an Intermediate stem would do the trick. I guess I'm still in the trial and error state, so I'll try buying some.

Again thanks for answer and this nice forum Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I am a rear gripper use mardle 2 darts for the excellent rear grip
I use those stems which give me enough length to also use their number 6 flights( I used to use kites because of my rear grip to prevent my hand flicking the flight on release) -as a result I throw a true dart that does not fish tail...... it’s another thing if it goes where I want!!!! ? lol
So I love that length of stem and would recommend.... I use the progrip white
J
Hope it helps
Thanks Papa. So which length of stems from Target Pro Grip do you use?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts for rear grip - rear grippers post your faves in here Getagrip 150 67,534 01-16-2021, 12:16 AM
Last Post: BDG
  Rear grippers - favourite bomber? southpaw_8585 30 1,588 05-26-2020, 09:22 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Darts for stem end of barrel grip - stem grippers post your faves in here Getagrip 34 10,607 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Last Post: The Barrel