What Does Q school mean?
I have to agree with you Brough, I stayed away from this thread for a few days as I could see it possibly turning in a negative direction.

Darts is not a strength sport. Muscle mass does not improve or hinder the ability to lob a dart 5'8". Also as shown by the number of different styles in throwing by top pro men there is no wrong way as long as it gets there consistently where you aim it.

Last time I checked a woman's shoulder and elbow joints were the same as men, yes hips are different but shoulders and elbows are the same. so there is not physical limitation.

Younger generations coming up now will produce a new breed of female players that will compete at a higher level than today's women if the governing bodies can generate interest and incentive for them. We are seeing it already, I read Suzuki won a tournament last weekend with a 120 average.

Thoughts on BDO and the prize money from the posts I have seen on Facebook. I don't think anyone in there right mind thinks it should be equal. There is a big difference in equal v.s. fair. If the Men attract the highest viewership, sponsorship, attendance and participants then they should be rewarded with higher prize money. But there should also be a reasonable formula to figure out a fair prize pool for the women and then bumped a bit to encourage the growth of the Women's game or at least making it feasible for Women to travel to the event. Only 2 women traveled to the event from any great distance. Most of the participants were from England or a ferry ride at worst away. Might as well called it the BDO English Open.
Would Love to swap the Piranha Razor Grip for something else.  Bought them and never used them
The points about darts being a pub game, male participation being so much higher, and the disparity in prize money are all valid, and I agree. But I don't think the talent pool being smaller is the only reason. I don't believe the difference between the number of male and female players is proportional to the huge gap in ability. I think there have to be other reasons as well.

I'm not an expert on this subject however there is plenty of research that confirms this. On the contrary, I've never read anything that proves that there is no difference at all between males and females. I've read a study where they compared pretty much male and female beginners, and the difference was noticeable.

Linda Duffy, who is a sport psychologist and former top darts player, has written some very interesting papers on this subject as well. She believes that there are psychological differences, in the way the male and female brains are wired, which leads to males excelling more in some activities, including darts. There is also a definitive difference between the two genders in hand-eye coordination, which men tend to be better in.

I also believe that in a given population of men and women, if you measure some specific abilities, women tend to be more consistent while there are more men in both ends of the spectrum. So the majority of people who are either among the best or the worst in that specific ablity, are males. That could be another reason that there is such a disparity in top players between males and females at the very top.
Great debate.

With the range of techniques in darts even minimal differences in body structure can be overcome. Look at Henderson - better than any woman player but a technique that is contrary to good darts. Whereas I have a technique that is smooth but can’t hit a dart with a dart board.

Hand eye coordination in adults between genders is also negligible. May make a difference through teens (when players are starting perhaps) which could explain the general ability difference between genders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How a good technique relates to success in darts - I think that's another question we'll never figure out. We're always hearing about the requrements for a great technique, yet there are many players who are throwing in a very unorthodox style and are having great success.

I would say probably those players who have a good technique, are more able to sustain a consistent performance on the top level. The likes of MVG, Anderson, Taylor, Wade, Wright etc all were relatively consistent throughout their careers, as their throwing action is very solid. I think. That could be the reason why Ian White is so good and consistent in the floor events, he's probably got the best throwing action of all the PDC players. On the TV stages though, he often fails. His hand is shaking visibly which suggests to me that the problem is not in his action, but it's a mental block, which makes him play worse under pressure. He is doing the same movement but if your hand is shaking from the tension, you are just not going to be that accurate

But take Mensur Suljovic, you would never tell anyone to throw like Mensur and he's still playing fine, a top 10 player, winning TV events. I believe players with a more unorthodox style of throw (Suljovic, Cullen, Henderson, VVDV) are more inconsistent, on their day they are brilliant but they find it harder to sustain the same levels of performance. Mensur in particular, I think has often proved to play worse under the pressure of the big stage IMO. Unlike White, I think the problem is less mental, and more in his throwing style, which can easily fail under pressure.

How all that relates to the difference between men and women, I'm really not sure. But another interesting point, I believe the top women players on average are throwing heavier darts than the top male players. The most notable reason for this is believed to be that the women throw softer/with less force, so they need a heavier dart which flies through the air easier. If we accept this, that there is a difference in technique between the average men and women, it's totally plausible that this might be a reason for male players performing better on average. The only thing we can't be sure about, whether this is confirmation bias, due to the low sample size. There are not hundreds of lady players in the spotlight so the difference between weight of darts used might be smaller than I'm inclined to think.
(01-23-2019, 12:08 PM)Phenohyte Wrote: I believe the top women players on average are throwing heavier darts than the top male players. The most notable reason for this is believed to be that the women throw softer/with less force, so they need a heavier dart which flies through the air easier. If we accept this, that there is a difference in technique between the average men and women, it's totally plausible that this might be a reason for male players performing better on average. The only thing we can't be sure about, whether this is confirmation bias, due to the low sample size. There are not hundreds of lady players in the spotlight so the difference between weight of darts used might be smaller than I'm inclined to think.

Anastasia 22g
Anderson 23g/24g
MVG 23g
Lisa Ashton 24g
Trina Gulliver 23g
Darryl Gurney 23g
John Henderson 24g
kyle anderson 23g

Going through who has their weights listed outside of Deta who is 28g most the women seem to be in that 23g-24g range like many of the top men.  The number of men using 20g and below is quite small.

So I do agree that many women at the recreational level throw heavier darts, or at least my wife and daughters it would appear once they have honed their skill to a certain level they throw very similar weights to men.
Would Love to swap the Piranha Razor Grip for something else.  Bought them and never used them
(01-22-2019, 12:35 PM)derrickyoung Wrote: We are seeing it already, I read Suzuki won a tournament last weekend with a 120 average.

The joy of fake news. It was soft-tip, on boards and with game settings that see the top male players average as high as 140+.