Darts Buddy

File size error attaching pics
Getting File Size Error Attaching Pictures

For some time, the forum has promoted the use of picture sharing sites like Imgur as the most effective and resource neutral way to share your darting pictures.  However, as many members know, you can also 'attach' pictures to a post. In this case, the image is uploaded to the forum host, and loaded when the post is viewed.  The picture is displayed as a 'thumbnail', and enlarged when clicked.  This method has become increasingly popular lately, but can have significant drawbacks for the forum if not used appropriately.

Recently, we had some issues with overly large files.  As a result, all allowed attachment types were reviewed and size limits implemented.  This will prevent large files from overwhelming forum storage quotas, or causing other problems.

Going forward, any picture exceeding 512k will be rejected and you'll see a 'file size' error message.  Please note, this doesn't effect share links in any way.  Only pictures and other files uploaded via the 'Attachment' screen are impacted.

So how can I attach pictures?  Well, we still recommend using photo sharing sites, but if you want to attach an image, here's some steps you can take to limit the picture size:
  1. Reduce your camera's default pixel scale. Reduce to around 1024 X 768 - or less - for attachments.  Take your picture and check the size on your device. Must be under 512k to upload successfully.  If not, reduce the scale further as required.
  2. If you don't wish to change your camera settings, you'll need to resize using software before uploading to the forum.  On Windows computers, Paint or Photo Gallery have this capability.  Research your device to find the most appropriate application.
  3. Update: Change size online.  Example site: https://resizeimage.net// (Hint: Upload your pic and just do the resize bit.
At the end of the day, attachment limits may be inconvenient, but reducing picture size has a positive effect on the forum.  Both from an 'under the hood' perspective, and member reading enjoyment.

Good darting! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Edit Nov. 2019:  Added new site for resizing. But lot's of options out there.   

We'll also be further restricting attachment sizes to 512k.  This is plenty big for a picture, meant to load full size when selected.
(01-12-2019, 03:15 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Edit: removed quoted FAQ

any advice on doing this for Iphone users? im not sure if i can even change the size until its already in the post. any help is appreciated.
 ✯✯✯Mac-Attack99
༺Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I No.5 soft tips༻
༺Flights: One80 Black/Grey Roman Warrior༻
༺Shafts: Dartscorner Logo Black Nylon༻
2021 180’s: 1/15
2021 Hat: 2/200
Overall Live Tournament Wins:7
2021 league weeks won: 
Not an iPhone user, but a quick search gives me this:

https://www.imore.com/how-crop-resize-ph...e-and-ipad

Edit:  And iPhone users with Tapatalk do it quite easily, because they're uploading a link.  Which isn't effected by file size limits...
(01-12-2019, 06:02 PM)Mac-attack99 Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 03:15 PM)nixer55 Wrote: Edit: Removed quoted FAQ

any advice on doing this for Iphone users? im not sure if i can even change the size until its already in the post. any help is appreciated.

Adobe Photoshop Express is a good app for all sorts of photo stuff, and can certainly resize photos - free too!

https://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshopexpress
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

B: 23g   S: Short   F: No. 6   180s: 0/13
(01-14-2019, 03:58 AM)CalixNL Wrote: https://imgur.com/a/CDdzKGL

So there is no Way for imgur To show the picture in My forum post.

Yes there is.  Select a picture in your Imgur account.  You'll see "Copy" and a down arrow to the right side.  Select the down arrow and "Get Share Links".  Then select "BBCode Forums" and press the copy button.  Position the cursor in your post, then paste.  Select "Preview", and your picture will appear.  If everything looks good, you're ready to post!

Edit:  Ah iPad.  That might not work, not sure the iPad app supports share links.  Sorry Calix...
(01-14-2019, 04:18 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Hey Nixxer!!
Thanks.
I didn’t see the bbcode way,

But after I uploaded it on imgur, I was able to get the link. Copy it, and paste it into the DN REPLY URL

Dead link removed

Which seems to work fine, although your pictures are on the large side.  Good to know for iPads.  BTW, resized the picture in this quote for demonstration.  Good etiquette when quoting posts would be to remove the picture all together.  Easier to read and follow the thread.  Here's the FAQ for that:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33723
I'd say Calix pretty well has the hang of it - on an iPad!  Well folks, there's your iPad tutorial!

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-14-2019, 04:24 AM)nixer55 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 04:18 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Hey Nixxer!!
Thanks.
I didn’t see the bbcode way,

But after I uploaded it on imgur, I was able to get the link. Copy it, and paste it into the DN REPLY URL

Which seems to work fine, although your pictures are on the large side.  Good to know for iPads.  BTW, resized the picture in this quote for demonstration.  Good etiquette when quoting posts would be to remove the picture all together.  Easier to read and follow the thread.  Here's the FAQ for that:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=33723

Thanks!

I caught my self doing that , the removing quoted picture, in a comment Saber posted with his monster  darts , I was asking what kind of dart he was using.

I got some good practice finding a Good ssize for sharing pictures.

So sharing the hosts link is Better for the forum? Should I go delete all my photos in forum posts ??? lol. I don’t want To clog up the system.

Edit.
Thanks!

I’m not sure how I got the first post of the barrels picture so big, I don’t even remember and it was only like 10 minutes ago . Best I forget .
(01-14-2019, 04:34 AM)CalixNL Wrote: Thanks!

I caught my self doing that , the removing quoted picture, in a comment Saber posted with his monster  darts , I was asking what kind of dart he was using.

I got some good practice finding a Good ssize for sharing pictures.

So sharing the hosts link is Better for the forum? Should I go delete all my photos in forum posts ??? lol. I don’t want To clog up the system. Lol

Posting pictures via share link is easier on forum resources, and don't have the number limit of attachments.  Everything you posted before is fine - no need to delete or remove attachments.  And well done on the iPad work! +1...
Ironically....the photo is not loading up right now In my reply box as it was before.

Bit more fiddling around another time..

I guess imgur is just a bit off and on....newly experimenting....I can see this working with all file hosting sites

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Updated Guide with link to an online image manipulation tool.  Just upload your image and reduce it's resolution.  Then download the result:  https://resizeimage.net/

Also found a funny cartoon on the subject: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Click to enlarge

OK, insider joke. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(05-14-2019, 03:14 AM)nixer55 Wrote: Updated Guide with link to an online image manipulation tool.  Just upload your image and reduce it's resolution.  Then download the result:  https://resizeimage.net/

Also found a funny cartoon on the subject: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Click to enlarge

OK, insider joke. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I've used Imgur as a picture host in the past and edited my links to scale the on screen image to 640x640  (by appending a lower-case L to the filename in the image link).   But I'd like to display smaller images which can be enlarged by clicking as it was in the quoted post.

Can this be done using an image host?  I did look about for the answer so I hope I didn't miss something too obvious.
(07-13-2019, 04:25 AM)laconic Wrote: I've used Imgur as a picture host in the past and edited my links to scale the on screen image to 640x640  (by appending a lower-case L to the filename in the image link).   But I'd like to display smaller images which can be enlarged by clicking as it was in the quoted post.

Can this be done using an image host?  I did look about for the answer so I hope I didn't miss something too obvious.

Not that I'm aware.  If you find a way, let us know.  Be pretty cool!

cheers...
Updated OP with a new online site for reducing photo resolution, the easiest I've seen.  Just upload your pic and go with the defaults.  Works just fine for jpg's.  Haven't tried the other formats, but should be the same.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've stumbles on tapatalk and sharing pics is pretty easy. It asks for file size
small 384x512
medium 768x1024
original 3024x4032

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attaching Non-Image Files to a Post nixer55 0 292 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  can't view pics Maineiac 15 7,627 04-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Easy Way To Post Pics To The Forum Banned 9 6,769 05-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Cat
  Attaching Images to posts using forum options Getagrip 2 7,450 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Getagrip