Darts Buddy

The dart that feels good when throwing.
Certain darts feels good in your hand and when throwing. You know what I'm talking about. You buy a set that you like the looks of but when you hold and throw them they just don't have that "oh they feel good thingy" Trust me your spinning your wheels get rid of them. There are certain darts that will bring that mental smile to your brain - they are the ones and you know it. My feel good arrows are straight barrels with good grip like my Rasta's, McCoy Sharks and my Winstanley's. On the no list are smooth darts, front loaded ones. Take my word for it when you have that good feeling thats the dart. Now when you have a down period of time throwing your darts u know its Not the darts but you!
You're so right. When I mess around with other darts and then pick up "the ones" again, it's so obvious that they're "the ones" that I feel like I owe them an apology.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(11-28-2013, 04:36 PM)brenthahn Wrote: You're so right. When I mess around with other darts and then pick up "the ones" again, it's so obvious that they're "the ones" that I feel like I owe them an apology.

Good reply take a rep point buddy. Yep Ive felt the same way after wasting time on a dart that I thought would work. I just traded a set of Broadswords to McInnis because of them not having that "feel good thingy" They may be the ones for someone else so why should I keep them.
Good thread! Wonder where the idea for this thread came from
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
he copied it off me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nah my post earlier was his muse
I agree completely. My new darts feel great and I was worried they wouldn't. They feel so good in my fingers and fly sweetly. +1 for this thread!
What dart feels good to you? And what do you think about the "feel good" concept?
(06-19-2017, 11:15 PM)Cat Wrote: What dart feels good to you?  And what do you think about the "feel good" concept?

I'm assuming this query was to the forum in general and no particular member, so I'll give it a shot.

I like darts with an aggressive grip, in the 24-25 gram range and either straight barrel or slightly tapered barrels.   I'm not fond of those bomber looking darts that are heavily front loaded.

Now I always throw with medium nylon stems and kite flights, so that takes a bit of tweaking on my part as to where I hold the dart prior to throwing.    Some darts fly well if holding them just behind the balance point and I have a couple sets that I actually grip them where the stem screws into the barrel.     I want my darts to land almost perpendicular to the surface of the board, so adjusting the grip allows them to do this.

As for the "feel good" concept, I agree whole heartedly.    A dart has to feel like it fits the hand and is comfortable enough for me to be able to pay attention to the task at hand rather than how the dart feels awkward or slightly off.
It was for me a nice straight simply ringed barrel and still is for the most part.  However I've recently been throwing some RD Galactic's that are in a word "brilliant".  Upon receiving them and opening the packet I was like, "What a bloody awful looking thing and this grip will not suit me!".

Well I was wrong (per usual Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) and will not judge a dart on looks ever again, not that I did really before.  Be it funky/ugly looking I can't argue the results.

It comes back to something I'm always on about, no matter the weight/grip or profile of a dart if it's well balanced it's all one needs to get good results IMHO. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
For me I've recently decided that the crucial key to knowing if a dart is right(for me) is whether I'm aware of it or not while throwing. I found that with darts that have dimples here and there(eg Winmau Snipers, later Simon Whitlocks etc) I become  too aware of those distractions when I'm throwing and it puts me off. It kind of causes 'extra unnecessary mental processing' which interrupts my rhythm.
For me a dart needs to keep out of the way.

Overall I find that I suit a dart which is tapered, with a smooth uniform profile, elliptical, has decent grip, is longer than 50mm, and less than 7mm(which gives me a reassurance in the back of my mind that I can group them) wide. Weight doesn't feel that important but if I had a perfect weight it would be around 23g.
I agree, you basically know after just one throw if you will like a dart or not.

I don't really have a feel good criteria for my darts. I prefer darts under 50mm with a medium level of grip, but I also have many darts over 50mm that feel good and I can throw well.

There are just two things that I can't stand: scallops and shark grip

Lately I got the Showtime Revolver darts, a beautfil dart, but the first throw was so awkward that I just knew they will never work for me. I got so much spin on them, that there was no point in trying to get them working. Put them on the stand, as I like their look, but just not a dart I can throw.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Some felt great and some felt horrible but there is just no way of knowing before giving them a toss. I can get two practical identical looking sets in the same weight from different manufacturers and one might suit me yet the other might not. No way of telling no matter the shape/weight in my case.

Guess I share the same conclusion as GWN that it's all about balance.
(06-20-2017, 12:05 AM)vanJupp Wrote: I agree, you basically know after just one throw if you will like a dart or not.

I don't really have a feel good criteria for my darts. I prefer darts under 50mm with a medium level of grip, but I also have many darts over 50mm that feel good and I can throw well.

There are just two things that I can't stand: scallops and shark grip

Lately I got the Showtime Revolver darts, a beautfil dart, but the first throw was so awkward that I just knew they will never work for me. I got so much spin on them, that there was no point in trying to get them working. Put them on the stand, as I like their look, but just not a dart I can throw.

IIRC you bought a set of Galactic's at 24 gram.  Weren't to your liking if I recall as well.

(06-20-2017, 12:11 AM)joeriw96 Wrote: Some felt great and some felt horrible but there is just no way of knowing before giving them a toss. I can get two practical identical looking sets in the same weight from different manufacturers and one might suit me yet the other might not. No way of telling no matter the shape/weight in my case.

Guess I share the same conclusion as GWN that it's all about balance.

Becoming wiser and wiser beyond your years Joeri. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(06-20-2017, 12:17 AM)Great White North Wrote: IIRC you bought a set of Galactic's at 24 gram.  Weren't to your liking if I recall as well.

Yeah, I did and I wasn't really keen on them, when I got them. But back than my throw was really messed up and it was never that they felt bad, they just didn't fly well.
But it's a difficult dart I would say. Just grip at two spots, special shape, balance point a bit difficult.

I actually gave them some throws, when I was cleaning my collection and they flew a lot better for me, still not to great, but I would say they are neither a feel good dart or a feel bad dart, just probably manufactured a bit too much overall.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jerking after a good first dart.... Entropy92 17 879 09-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Entropy92
  Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing jayouloun 41 12,237 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  Darts, does it draw good people or make good people... BDG 9 980 12-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Vid, me dart throwing style & adjustments since previous advice / commentary CalixNL 9 877 11-29-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Any recommended resources for finding good dart locations while traveling? Kavel 6 678 10-20-2018, 11:21 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  Two Types of Motor Strategy for Accurate Dart Throwing Getagrip 11 6,219 10-18-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Ed180
  What's a good, midprice rear grip kind of dart? bballa 26 5,923 05-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Last Post: matthiaskoetz8
  Lets talk outs - any three dart out is as good *Saber* 26 5,231 10-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: mc1958