Why start Heavy
Smile Hi to all members.I don`t post much but i have been wondering about this for some time & would really like to see the opinions of experienced & beginner players.....
When starting darts,many,many moons ago  boohoo ,the advice to beginners was always,"better using a heavy dart son",now i understand that for most people new to the beatiful game ,a heavy dart/medium stem/standard flight is the most forgiving & the weight & setup will correct the dart in flight to the board.
Now the opposite ,if you think of the majority of north American & Asian beginners,they will be playing soft tip darts....so a Heavy dart is not an option,so to my point....
Is it not better for beginners to use a lighter dart ? as surely the grip/throw/release/follow through would have to be consistant & smooth to get such a light dart to the board,which in turn would develop a smoother action & with this the rest of the game would fall in to place,when the beginner is then introduced to proper practise routine.
Since he/she has developed a nice smooth action they should enjoy the practise & game more,without arm strain/wrist niggles/shoulder discomfort and all the other niggles that come with throwing a heavier dart when your technique is not developed properly ??
I look forward to reading your thoughts
Cheers. Smile
I think a heavier dart would be better. I've been throwing for a little under 2 years but I still find a light(say around 17g or less) dart to be more difficult to control until I adjust to it.

I also don't think that a light dart would give a smoother action - quite the opposite because it requires more force to throw, and this would distract from your throwing mechanism that you're wanting to develop.
(10-27-2018, 07:51 PM)Jefferz Wrote: I think a heavier dart would be better. I've been throwing for a little under 2 years but I still find a light(say around 17g or less) dart to be more difficult to control until I adjust to it.

I also don't think that a light dart would give a smoother action - quite the opposite because it requires more force to throw, and this would distract from your throwing mechanism that you're wanting to develop.

Yep i understand i was just wondering how best to go with someone new to darts,if your answer is correct & i too started with a heavier dart,then how do soft tip players develop their throw when using such light darts ?
As you say a 17g or less is difficult until you adjust to it but if that is all you are throwing the adjustment won`t be needed.
Cheers,it`s a hard one to be sure of as there are answers for and against.
I'm the wrong person to ask about soft tip darts I'm afraid as I've never used them. Our friends from across the pond can best address anything to do with soft tip.

In theory I suppose that if you're sticking with 17g then it won't be a problem. it's just that the majority of darts available are in the 21g-25g range, so limiting oneself to 17g or less will give very little choice for when they do become better.
They say its more forgiving of in consistencies etc, I am not sure if that truly is the case but I think its more a case of when your a beginner you dont have that deft feel and fine motor control of your throw so the heavier thicker dart often feels better and easier but ultimately I think you can learn to throw anything with time Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Soft tip is a tough art really. When I started darts, I basically had to start with soft tip being from this part of Asia. I went up to 20gm barrels straight away as I felt better with the weight. I didn't improve till someone begged me to try a lighter dart, and it helped develop my throw action and awareness of my bad habits with release and follow through. But really, there is no right or wrong. Lighter barrels mean there's no margin for error with your throw, it's less forgiving but it's great practice, like a Champion's Choice board (a dart board with ultra thin trebles and doubles).

Though I must say I'm happy more manufacturers are pushing the weight limit of soft tip, more models going beyond 20gm and catering to different grip types.

And if it makes you feel better, some steel tippers use darts lighter than we soft tip players do, just look at Ted Hankey and Stephen Bunting. Everytime I tell my friends about Bunting's choice of dart, it never fails to baffle them.
Current Dart in Use: Quantum Darts Paradox 17.5gm
I started with steel tip throwing 27's...now I'm doing both so I'm throwing 20's using the same dart for both. I have heard that the heavier darts are more forgiving and have tried it out....slightly better but not so much that I will change darts for steel. A long time ago a buddy of mine threw a 40g dart....for the most part,he scored no better than I with my 27's. In my feeble opinion,as I'm only a 50-60 avg, a lighter dart may be a bit more frustrating when first taking up the game but I think things will work out the same.  Big Grin
Well thanks to all who put in thier tuppence worth to my question,good to see all the diffrent opinions.I myself am just like the majority of players....i tinker....stem/flight/barrel length & weight etc & to be brutaly honest i quite enjoyed my short but interesting dip in to the super light(for me) darts.I tried 18g & found it going pretty good then i tried the 16g took a bit of getting used to but i throw in a steel tipped league & so it`s back to my regular...DPC GUN METAL/MCCOYS STEALTH/BOTH 25G /SHORT RING STEMS /30MM TARGET NANO POINTS /STANDARD FLIGHTS.
I also put conversion points on both sets of light soft tip & both were good.
I would also say that if you do play soft tipped a good set is the BULLS @ 501/18G....really great grip /short/extra short stem & kite flights were really good for me ,even managed to get 5 x 180`s....Just wish i could get some on a match night....i can dream,cheers  Smile
There is a lot of stinkers ...... er I mean tinkeres in here Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts suddenly feel too heavy MarkC 10 379 07-15-2020, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Cooper84
  Which dart weight to choose? Heavy or light? The D'Artist 70 136,791 01-25-2020, 08:14 AM
Last Post: BadMojo
  Doubles to start... World Grand Prix Kenny1872 24 1,012 10-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Kenny1872
  Heavy Darts PecosJoe 11 650 08-28-2019, 10:55 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  Heavy Weight [emoji2484] james_fenton 7 312 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Tournament Play Slow Start DAVEISTHENAME 4 237 07-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Last Post: JB_Fraser
  My Dart Start Spencerdl 73 8,731 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  League start Ed180 9 511 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM