Darts Buddy

Walking and Waiting
I've started adding a new element to my practice routine. After every turn, I pull my darts, walk to the other side of the room, wait a few seconds, and then walk back to the oche. My reasoning is that in a match you have to wait and then re-orient yourself every time, so why not in practice? On the one hand I get fewer tosses per practice session, but on the other hand I think it's making me more "mentally ready." Opinions?
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

I've seen a tutorial by Bobby George years ago, he mentions this as well. Makes sense, I do the same. I'll walk back pass the oche an extra 3 paces, and then turn and walk up to the line. Good way to practice, so your rhythm sort of stays consistent.

Cheers, Haggis...
I too do this from time to time, if time permits. I'll hit the fridge, get a cold beer, take a couple sips and toss 3 to the board. Sometimes I'll fiddle with the CD player and crank the volume up a bit louder than I like just to simulate some venues where the music is loud.
Great observation - thanks for the post.
Yeah I seen Booby George mention that too, and its quite a good idea really Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I ll try this..
I'm not so called, a real darts nut!!
such a simple thing that could prove to be very useful, thanks for sharing.
I think that's been my problem. Takes me a few throws to warm up then I'm really in the zone but come match night or team practice night it all goes. Pairs matches are even worse. I actually thought about this last night and I timed my throw so that i would have an idea of how long to wait between throws.
Ayup Comrades

I incorporate this into my routine, i think it is good practice.

Shed
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/njoyone1
Slightly off topic but a query really watched the masters on tv & noted that of the 16 players only 1? James Wade is left handed & yet all the players pull their darts & walk off the raised oche bit on the right hand side as you look at the board, which some times means the opponent has to check/abort his throw as the guy who's just thrown is walking down his throwing arm side, it would seem logical to pull/ walk off the left side except for J Wade or any other lefty, is there a rule to walk off this side & why walk part way back on the raised bit, why not pull & exit close to the board more or less in front of the score caller. Is it just we've always done it this way or is there a bit of gamesmanship involved. I can understand it in pubs etc ( limited space folk milling about ) but on a purpose built set up it's something I don't fully understand. Sorry for this if there is obvious reason, just that in some other sports it could by classed as impeding ( Thinking Squash)
(02-06-2015, 12:18 PM)Little al Wrote: Slightly off topic but a query really watched the masters on tv & noted that of the 16 players only 1? James Wade is left handed & yet all the players pull their darts & walk off the raised oche bit on the right hand side as you look at the board, which some times means the opponent has to check/abort his throw as the guy who's just thrown is walking down his throwing arm side, it would seem logical to pull/ walk off the left side except for J Wade or any other lefty, is there a rule to walk off this side & why walk part way back on the raised bit, why not pull & exit close to the board more or less in front of the score caller. Is it just we've always done it this way or is there a bit of gamesmanship involved. I can understand it in pubs etc ( limited space folk milling about ) but on a purpose built set up it's something I don't fully understand. Sorry for this if there is obvious reason, just that in some other sports it could by classed as impeding ( Thinking Squash)

Good point mate. Personally, as a leftie, I think it's a good thing to make everyone turn right and walk awayGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

On a local level though most boards are positioned in such a way that there's only one possible route back.
I too think this is a great idea and will incorporate it in my practice sessions.
I pretty much don't have to worry about that, as Jack (my nutty darting cat) always finds a way to provide a unique, novel and sometimes painful distraction...lol....ouch! One of the reasons I have 2 boards is as a distraction for Jack. I absolutely can see the logic in the pause and change of pace, and, hopefully, will be incorporating that in to my practice as Jack grows older and settles down a bit. This is why I wander around on this forum....always something to learn. Nutz rock the house.
Never thought about, but now I thing, it is really helpfull to do this. I will practice in my sessions. Thank you for your tip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.