Unicorn

PDC World Championship field expanded to 96 players
Quote:THE biggest tournament in darts is to expand further as the William Hill World Championship grows to include 96 competitors and a record £2.5 million prize fund, including a huge £500,000 to the 2018/2019 champion.

In the biggest development for the tournament since its move to London's Alexandra Palace a decade ago, the World Championship will continue its remarkable growth both on and off the oche this year.

The sport's biggest event has seen 72 players in recent years competing in a festival of darts across the Christmas and New Year period, with live coverage on Sky Sports being broadcast worldwide.

The introduction of 24 further qualifiers will see the field increase to 96 competitors, with additional professionals joining an expanded group of international qualifiers which will include two female contenders.

Six additional sessions will be added to this year's schedule to accommodate the extra matches, providing greater opportunities for fans to see the World Championship live following the sell-out interest at Alexandra Palace in recent years and a 30 percent increase in Sky Sports’ live coverage to over 110 hours.

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2018/06/04/recor...ampionship
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Will be interesting to see if any of the top females in the BDO side play in these qualifiers as I think that would then rule them out of playing Lakeside. My guess is the females will both be from Asia - probably that Chinese girl from the WCOD and maybe Mikuru Suzuki.
(06-04-2018, 03:13 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Will be interesting to see if any of the top females in the BDO side play in these qualifiers as I think that would then rule them out of playing Lakeside. My guess is the females will both be from Asia - probably that Chinese girl from the WCOD and maybe Mikuru Suzuki.

Doubt that will be possible, as there is a UK Qualifer and a Rest of the world one.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
I just read it again properly and realised it was 1 from the UK.

I know they will earn a bit of money if they qualify, but it will be interesting if any of the top players like Lisa, Deta, Lorraine or Fallon play the qualifiers, especially if only one can go through, but would the others then lose their Lakeside spot just for trying?

Another possible thought is that Ed Lowy has said a while back that the PDC have been looking at the ladies game - are they revisiting it with this with the intention of starting up a separate ladies tour in the next year or two?
Just seen this on the CDC FB page

All of us at CDC are EXTREMELY proud to announce that the top-ranked American and top-ranked Canadian player on the 2018 CDC Points list will join the PDC North American Championship winner at the William Hill World Darts Championship at the Ally Pally.
Top ranked American at the moment is Butler - who is the top Canadian, is it Fatum?
(06-04-2018, 03:33 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Top ranked American at the moment is Butler - who is the top Canadian, is it Fatum?

Can't find this years rankings, but i think it's the 2018 ranking not the 2 year, i'll keep looking
(06-04-2018, 03:30 PM)mc1958 Wrote: I just read it again properly and realised it was 1 from the UK.

I know they will earn a bit of money if they qualify, but it will be interesting if any of the top players like Lisa, Deta, Lorraine or Fallon play the qualifiers, especially if only one can go through, but would the others then lose their Lakeside spot just for trying?

Another possible thought is that Ed Lowy has said a while back that the PDC have been looking at the ladies game - are they revisiting it with this with the intention of starting up a separate ladies tour in the next year or two?

I guess they might give the spots in the future to the best ladies on their normal tours. So best lady on the Challenge/ Development Tour qualifies for Ally Pally + 1 international spot for the ladies. Might be a start to get them to play in the normal PDC tours. I can't see a female tour from the PDC. It does not help them in anyway.

Also you get more in the first round of the PDC worlds, than as a finalist in the BDO worlds. At least in the last BDO worlds.

So it could be financially interesting, but hard to predict how the interest will be.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
£500K for winner! WOW! Rees got £3000 for the first BDO worlds if I remember, thats around £18K in todays money Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Ok found it the CDC guys as of now would be Darin Young USA, the Canada one would be up for grabs, would Mawson play for Can if not Snook
So pleased they have increased this to 96, I wanted this for a while but didn't think they would make such a big jump. Really looking forward to this now.
Mack The Knife
Great Opportunity, I very much like this change Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Glad to see that they are competing! And I’m glad to see the sport just keeps growing! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
 ✯✯✯Mac-Attack99
༺Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I No.5 soft tips༻
༺Flights: One80 Black/Grey Roman Warrior༻
༺Shafts: Dartscorner Logo Black Nylon༻
2021 180’s: 1/15
2021 Hat: 2/200
Overall Live Tournament Wins:7
2021 league weeks won: 
Saw something on Twitter that the 32 Pro Tour qualifiers will play the "Internatial" qualifiers. Can only guess that was a PDPA request as basically the 16 who would have qualified for the first round are now in the prelim.

Will be interesting to see what info is still to come, still not seen a detailed breakdown of the prize money, the match lengths or the format for each session.
Mack The Knife
Love the changes, bigger, better, onward and upward.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2021/22 World Championship mc1958 0 39 07-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  2020/21 William Hill World Championship mc1958 682 22,529 01-06-2021, 05:40 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  2020 Players Championship Finals mc1958 62 2,186 12-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Dave_79
  2020 Players Championship mc1958 192 9,959 11-04-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Tomek Brzykcy
  2020 Players Championship Finals mc1958 3 269 09-30-2020, 03:20 PM
  2020 PDC World Darts Championship discussion sjmattitude1982 578 33,800 01-17-2020, 02:18 PM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982
  2019/20 PDC World Championship news/qualifiers mc1958 39 2,475 11-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Mack
  2019 Ladbrokes Players Championship Finals mc1958 66 3,835 11-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Grahamwffc
  2019 Players Championship mc1958 654 27,116 10-16-2019, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  DPNZ Announces Expanded ProTour mc1958 0 220 03-25-2019, 06:18 PM