Target Darts.

Tension
Dart players often complain that they have been very tensed at crucial points of a match and have therefore been unable to take what after all seemed to be a big opportunity for a win or a good chance to fight back. You all know these ugly situations of being on this nice double 16 in the deciding leg, three darts in your hand, but it simply must be in 'cause you are down and out if you fail. Nerves are coming in. Your hand is shaking, your knees feel like melted butter in the sun, and you praise God or Buddha for just this dart to go in - but God is out for dinner at the moment, Buddha is having a meditation on his own, and so you blunder. Your opponent goes on with a smile on his face and kills his dirty 60 points left with two straight darts.

Later you think what was going on with you. If you would have been up with two legs you would have hit that double 16 nearly blind. Bloody nerves you say, and you are right. It's all a matter of thinking.

If you go there with the thought on your mind that you HAVE TO HIT 'cause else you will be lost, the chance is big that you will miss. It's that simple and that hard: Don't think of winning or losing. Simply think of PLAYING. When I got to such an important point in a match I quietly said to myself: simply play. Don't waste one single thought in the whole match on losing. Strike out this word in your mental dictionary, you won't need it in play. Learn to control your thinking. Whenever you get aware of such a *negative* thought during a game give yourself a short mental rest and say "Stop!". Raise your shoulders, take a breath and stand up the ochy in full concentration with only one thing on your mind: Play. That's enough for most situations where you feel tensed.

But sometimes your hand won't stop shaking and you can't find a focus on the board. If the situation is that hard I want to introduce you to a simple relaxation exercise which only requires a little practice. It is called "The Quiet Place".

Take yourself ten minutes of time, as often as you can. The best would be each day, at least once a week. Sit down and relax. Now with one hand press the thumb of the other hand. Think about a quiet place you like. This can be a tropical island where you lay down in the sun, that confortable chair in your living room or anything else you find quiet and relaxing. Keep this thought for about five or ten minutes, and keep your thumb pressed during this time. If you repeat this exercise regularly you will later only need to press the thumb of your hand at these nerve - shaking moments in a match and all tension will be gone.

citation; darts base
Has anyone tried it? does it work?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I tried it - but pressed my thumb too hard and broke it.

Thanks a bunch
You eejit!

LOL!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Tension is a killer to your throw. I've had a couple bouts with Dartitis and it totally wrecks your game--along with your head and it seems the harder you try, the worse it gets till you get it straightened out. I'm fortunate enough to have worked through my bouts with it and came out the better shooter for it.
Bump....auto suggestion is a good thing to have in your tool box.
Good bump Cat. I needed this reminder.
Very interesting Saber mentioned quiet place. This is very similar to something I used when trying to become a very good bowler. That was called the quiet eye method.
https://calm201.wordpress.com/2012/05/11...come-from/
That is a link to information about that method. You may wonder why I sent you to that site when you read the headline but that is not the important part just read the article it even mentions darts.

You can look up more information on this from other sites (quiet eye) however it was dealing with concentration and making the shot. Getting yourself in the proper place to lessen tension and improve performance. It worked most times for me but is also takes concentration and relaxation to complete, but it is tool in the learning process and takes work to get there. Those steps of relaxation can be what Saber is explaining, when trying this.
Tonight while practicing my Random A3, I finally felt a properly relaxed for a few shots. Even a couple in a row. They found their mark perfectly -- but not effortlessly.

That is very important... there was effort involved, but no squeezing the dart or forcing the shot. It was amazing. I could remember the effort it took and I could repeat the throw. I liked that feeling very much.

OTOH, it underlined just how far I am away from doing that in competition.

I think this relaxed, focused and attentive state is a key part of the mental game -- maybe even the foundation?
(08-14-2015, 03:01 AM)BigE Wrote: Tonight while practicing my Random A3, I finally felt a properly relaxed for a few shots. Even a couple in a row. They found their mark perfectly -- but not effortlessly.

That is very important... there was effort involved, but no squeezing the dart or forcing the shot. It was amazing. I could remember the effort it took and I could repeat the throw. I liked that feeling very much.

OTOH, it underlined just how far I am away from doing that in competition.

I think this relaxed, focused and attentive state is a key part of the mental game -- maybe even the foundation?

Relaxing is key to throwing good darts. It is something I am very much working on, and as i get better at it, seeing some solid results!