Shot Darts

Sick of losing? Stop practicing T20!
Disclaimer... I am in no way in a position to give real advice on how to become better.  But, I am incredibly observant and obsessed with over-analyzing everything.  I have noticed some things over the past few years.  These observations are based on live game settings in league and tournaments.

This somewhat mirrors some things our esteemed colleague Saber has said more than once...

Sounds ridiculous right?

But... but... but.... but... How will I ever score enough points to win????!

How will I ever hit a zillion 180s???!!!

Here's a secret..... You don't need 180s to win, you don't need 140s to win... heck most of the time you don't need 100s to win!

First off, unless you are one of the rare few that have all the pieces of the puzzle (If you are one... I hate you), you need to decide what your goal is... Do you want to be the person that gets a pat on the back for hitting big scores, or do you want to win?  It's unfortunately going to be one or the other for most of us.

If you want to win (like I want to win), it's time to stop throwing hundreds of darts at T20 in practice and warm-up.  

My first observation over the past 3 years is that at least 90% of all players "warm-up" by throwing at the T20 almost exclusively... the 10% that doesn't... are the best players in the league....

My second observation is.... Most of the time (I'll estimate at least 70%) if one player hits a 180 in a leg... they usually lose that leg... weird right?  I thought it was very weird.

My third observation was that even the best players, get stuck on doubles... more than they would ever like to admit... even if it's just allowing one or 2 more chances... they are leaving the doors open.  You NEED to hit doubles.

Fourth observation... Many people put up a big score in warm-up... and look around to see if anyone saw them... often even announcing "Another 180 in practice... why can't I hit them in a game" (this is called a humble brag)

I made practice and warm-up changes this year, and had the best winning record I have had since I started (by far), I believe I lost only 3 singles matches all season, all to MUCH more experienced and "better" players.  Every one of those games, I was right in it on every leg, usually sitting on a double while they checked out.

What did I change?

Well... I take very few practice shots at the 20s anymore... no more than any other number, and likely less.

I start my pre-night warm-up shooting at the bull for, say... a dozen or so darts... then I chase the doubles around the board 1-20... every one of them until I hit them all.... then I throw random numbers in my head and try to check them out.  If I have time after that I chase the fat numbers... and/or the trebles on every number.  No extra focus it put on any particular number.

When I take some time to practice, I do a variety of drills that involve using the entire board... still... no extra focus on any one number over others... If anything I would say the Bull gets more work than the rest, but not by much.

Why do I think this works?

The most obvious reason would be that all the extra practice on the doubles is making me better at hitting doubles... that is true... but not the only reason.

Some other ideas...

Physical:
In the simplest form... Warm-Up... You can only warm yourself up properly for a game of darts, by throwing at every section of the board.  If you want to warm up every single muscle fiber that you may possibly need, you need to shoot at everything you may possibly need to hit.

Mental:
Confidence... We all know this game is mostly mental... when you know for a fact that you have worked on your doubles, and that you have hit every single double on the board... today... I believe those nervous "shakes" go away... I found more than once, my brain saying "I don't care what double I need to hit... I can hit any one of them".  This same mentality goes for the fat sections.... If you know you can hit any number, your confidence will skyrocket and you will be able to dig yourself out of trouble better when you find it.

I have won many of my games without really putting up too many huge scores... lots of 60s... but my doubles have been considerably better than in the past (now if only I could remember more of the outs!  Shut up Leaky!)

I little long winded, but I figured I would throw this out there, share what I have seen and maybe find out what others have noticed.

Couldn't agree more.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Spot on, to many people are worried about big averages & how many 180's they get, look at the show us your 180 thread for one, i notice the same alot of guys dont practice doubles or only there favorites
Should be the sticky post of the year.

Chris..
Great post  :thumbup:
Throwing Black PVD Coated Target Agora A01’s 22g darts at a Winmau Blade 5

Highest checkout - 141 (T20 T19 D12)
Best leg - 16 Darts x2

Totally Agree Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts - 21g DF01 Daytona Fires with Carbon TI Short Shafts.
Highest Checkout: Trebles Board 157, Doubles Board 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Think of it it terms of a graph. Throwing at 20's is only practice on the X axis. You can miss by a couple inches and still hit a 20. Any monkey can learn to do that, even literally blindfolded. But as soon as you need control of the Y axis as well, you're toast.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Great post Jugger,

As Bobby George says "Points for show, doubles for dough"

Cheers
Tez

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
Good one Jugger, plus 1. :thumbup:
A lot of wise words here, Jugger. Thanks for sharing your opinions. I think this is well observed and totally true. 
+1 from me
Spot on mate, I'm hoping that my opponents aren't reading this... :thumbup:
if you learn how to hit the 1 and 5 you will know how to not hit them when you are going for the 20 if you get me
rod dog Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Good shout mate
I've said it a thousand times...around the board on doubles!... so undervalued and it can actually be really fun too! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-11-2017, 04:48 PM)Walker Wrote: Good shout mate
I've said it a thousand times...around the board on doubles!... so undervalued and it can actually be really fun too! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Very fun... and sometimes infuriating!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(04-11-2017, 04:52 PM)Jugger Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 04:48 PM)Walker Wrote: Good shout mate

Very fun... and sometimes infuriating!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Unfortunately for me it's usually very infuriating...and sometimes fun!
Haha

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to stop changing darts? Eyebala 56 7,853 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Mac-attack99
  Losing a casual game MarcTH 17 1,281 11-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  Practicing at a shorter distance? Sleeping Soon 13 2,004 01-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: cubdog
  How to stop darts slipping in hand? Dartingmad1 11 2,645 01-26-2018, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Doubledouble
  Practicing your "mental game" during solitary practice JohnK 24 34,000 01-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: William.dyer
  Nerves - Fine practicing, shaking during match Zac619 4 25,203 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Zac619
  How to stop changing throw? Troll 10 2,271 04-03-2016, 01:27 AM
Last Post: TNSIN
  Practicing too many variations of your motion expos1994 4 1,461 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Adams
  Practicing the stroke brenthahn 12 4,178 05-12-2015, 03:53 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Speaking of rules, practicing during a match... uncle poop 13 4,027 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Lefty544