Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Speaking of rules, practicing during a match...
Anyone know if it is allowed to practice during a match. This kind of came up in our pick up game on tuesday night. Someone had robin hooded a flight and only had slims left and he took a couple throws at the open board during the final match. No one really had a problem with it and we let him. I was just curious though if it is legal to do this? I would think not, just does not seem sporting is all.

He eventually stopped and got a set of flights from someone that were the same shape as the ones he had been throwing the whole time.
Hi,
I would say that he was definitely out of order and broke the rules, which state it's alright to have a couple of throws before the game starts. The match referee must enforce this to be fair to the other player....harsh maybe but these are practice throws aren't they and in a final. IMHO

Cheers,

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Yeah that sounds like a rule breaker to me
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
we're getting quite picky on the rules today lol c'mon it's friday chill out people lol
its Friday the 13th YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

It was a pick up tourny we do on tues no real rules or refs. Just courtesy and common sense.
In an official match it would be against the rules
I believe it could be a stipulation from league to league. I can say that for our league practicing during a match that you are an active player in you are not allowed practice throws. If you watch any professional match and they damage their gear (they always have spare supplies) they replace it and keep on playing without throwing more practice darts.
Same with all the leagues I play in. No practice during the match if you are up and playing.

League High Peg Outs: Monday 160, Tuesday 170, Thursday 170, Friday 160
In our league you and your opponent are allowed 3 turns at the board before corking for the match. Once the match starts, you are not allowed to practice between turns no matter how many boards are open.

However, they don't strictly adhere to the 3 turns at the board prior to beginning a match. I've seen games where both players take up to 5-6 turns at the board before the cork in this version of our dart league. Now the league that was run when I first started playing back in the mid 80's was firm on the rules and I saw quite a few arguments ensue over folks wanting more than 9 darts to warm up a bit before play.
I just throw until I get a good cork and say thats me cork !!! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(09-30-2013, 03:32 PM)*Saber* Wrote: I just throw until I get a good cork and say thats me cork !!! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

That's how my wife likes to cork. She'll sometimes throw 3 darts to the board and walk up and take 2 out, leaving the closest to the bull in the board. I play along since she plays so little and hardly ever beats me no matter how hard I try to keep things close.

Here's one for the books. One night my wife and I were playing against her sister and her husband in my man cave. The ceilings are low on the ground floor and top out at 7' 3". We were on an out in 301 and my wife tossed 2 darts at the double 12 and missed outside. Her third dart skimmed off the ceiling and landed dead in the center of the D-12 for the win. After that, every time she had a dart at an out, she'd try to skim it off the ceiling like it was going to work every time. I've had to repaint the ceiling and skimming is no longer allowed.
They just think different then men.
I have a very low ceiling where I used to keep my dart board. 6'6" approximately where the oche was and 7' where the board was. Needless to say I skimmed the ceiling/punctured the ceiling tile often...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sick of losing? Stop practicing T20! Jugger 63 9,743 12-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Zero
  Practicing at a shorter distance? Sleeping Soon 13 1,851 01-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: cubdog
  Practicing your "mental game" during solitary practice JohnK 24 33,839 01-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: William.dyer
  Nerves - Fine practicing, shaking during match Zac619 4 25,129 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Zac619
  Practicing too many variations of your motion expos1994 4 1,418 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Adams
  Practicing the stroke brenthahn 12 4,087 05-12-2015, 03:53 AM
Last Post: BigE
  What are the rules. nimrod33 7 1,966 01-29-2015, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ni518079