Harrows Darts.

Hello from Indiana
Hi!

So, new here and new to darts in general. 

Grew up in the 80s with one of those 'Made in England', at least that's all that was printed on them, dartboards with the metal spiderweb stapled on the front and the baseball game printed on the back. Put a lot of holes in the drywall of my room back then. 

Fast forward to this past Christmas, my wife bought the kids one of those cheap Halex soft tip boards for $15.00. My son and I played a lot of games on it but got frustrated with all the bounce outs and the general crappiness of it all. 

So, a little about me and my hobbies - I tend to go a little overboard when I get interested in something. Problem is, this is Indiana, so all my research and ordering pretty much has to be online and there's a lot of trial and error.

I ended up buying some replacement tips for those soft tip darts, darts kept bouncing out still, so ordered different ones and some heftier darts to go with them. I ordered 3 sets of whatever soft tip darts on Amazon that had the best ratings and a few packages of tips in various shapes. Somewhere around 500 tips total. Still wasn't happy, so I did some more research and decided to go with steel tips.

Ended up ordering a Blade4 and a big red Winmau surround for the board. Looking at steel tip darts though, there are so many weights and shapes I didn't know what I wanted - I decided to just pick a weight - went with 23g.  Then as for shape and grip, just ordered some - picked out 6 different sets of points from Darts Corner from Designa in various shapes and tungsten content (80-95%), a couple Harrows sets too since I wanted to see what a 'complete' set looked and felt like. Also ordered a couple grab bags of flights off ebay and Darts Corner and a variety of stems in various lengths. 

This past weekend I bought the paint and board to paint a chalkboard scoreboard, I like painting so I figure I could make one easily enough. Going to make one of those Cricket combo ones, even though I have no idea how to play Cricket. Installing a light this week so the board isn't so unlit in my office here. 

Generally, I am terrible at darts, but it's only been a couple weeks really that I've been playing - I can beat my 11 year old, but not by much really. We play a lot of 501 - it helps him with math, he's ok overall, but I think having to quickly multiply by 2 or 3 and add in his head is good practice. 

I played an Around the World a day ago and it took my 122 throws to complete and that was just using the single spots. 

501 gets played daily and a lot more practice for me outside of the games since I have the board setup right behind my desk. For x01 games, I let him close without getting doubles and I end up throwing doubles forever and end up having to close on a D1 since I've screwed up every other run at doubles. I did hit a 140 the other day, so that my highest so far.

That's me.

Hi!
Welcome! Flight school is a great way to improve if you are looking for some practice drills.
Hello and welcome aboard the Nutz forum and the grand game itself. :hithere:

Nicely done on the intro and a definite +1 for you and your son enjoying the game together. :thumbup:
Welcome to the forum, good introduction too. Great bonding exercise with your son, which of you will hit a 180 first and gain the bragging rights?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Welcome to Nutz

Cheers
Tez
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
Hi mate and welcome aboard, welcome to the world of darts too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Don't worry too much as you have only been playing a short while but it sounds like your keen so just keep having fun for now and you will be surprised how quick you will improve Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(02-20-2017, 06:50 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Welcome! Flight school is a great way to improve if you are looking for some practice drills.

Thanks, downloaded and registered for the Part 1 awhile back and sent in $20 for the advanced Flight School stuff earlier today. Part of my getting into 'something' includes learning as much as I can, so this is great! 

(02-20-2017, 07:07 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Welcome to the forum, good introduction too. Great bonding exercise with your son, which of you will hit a 180 first and gain the bragging rights?

Ahh, I'd love for it to be him, but I think I will. I was close with my 140 - T20 T20 20 - of course, had I actually hit it, it would have been just by-chance. Seem that when I throw - I can get two darts right next to each other and then the third does it's own thing. Obviously, I am doing something different with the third, but it feels like I am following the same motion as the first two throws.

Meh, it's all still new and I need a lot more practice - it helps that the practicing is fun, so I don't mind at all.
welcome to DNF!
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
Welcome to the Nutz! 2 in one family! Great intro and great to see the forum doing you both some good. Any questions - feel free to toss them out as the Nutz know their stuff. Again, welcome!
Hiya rxiv, welcome to Nutz Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Great intro, and by the sound of it, you'll fit right in here !!!

Plenty of help & advice when you need it. Enjoy your new hobby Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Match Darts : MvG 23g Masterdarts  /  Dartboard : Bulls Advantage 3
Hello and welcome to the forum and the crazy super addictive game of darts! Awesome intro! Settle in and enjoy! Lots of great advice and friendly people here! You're in the right place!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Welcome,,,,Enjoy,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hello and welcome Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..
Welcome to the forum! :hithere: There's a ton of information on here that I'm sure you'll be able to use to help both you and your son improve at this great game!

Currently Throwing: Harrows 22g Bristows
Currently Throwing At: Winmau Blade 5

Just wanted to thank everyone for the welcoming - glad to be part of the community. 

Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from Indiana MarcSirkin 14 231 11-30-2020, 12:50 AM
Last Post: sercolini
  Hello from Indiana, USA Brice14 17 566 12-26-2018, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Bloodycut
  Hiya from Northcentral Indiana, USA Kevin Bell 30 1,469 12-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Ahoy from Indiana Mike Blackthorn 18 967 03-24-2018, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Mike Blackthorn
  Hello from Indiana!! dirkrc51 15 1,167 03-17-2018, 03:47 AM