Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

specific 20 practice routines???
Been playing league for three years now and just can't seem to get better at CONSISTENTLY hitting the 20!

I hit triple 1 more than the triple 20.  And I'm really good at hitting the single 1!!!

I know...practice, practice, practice...but what I'm looking for here are SPECIFIC practice routines to build up my consistency on the 20.

I'm not even that bad at getting the occasional triple 20...it's the consistency that drives me mad!

Practice ideas anyone?!?
I'm curious about this too. I'm all over the triple 5 ... struggle with the 20 though.
(02-16-2017, 02:23 AM)Dbt13 Wrote: I'm curious about this too.  I'm all over the triple 5 ... struggle with the 20 though.

I throw lefty, gonna guess you throw righty?  That would explain the triple ones for me and triple fives for you...we're both tending to hook our throws...
(02-16-2017, 02:37 AM)lennon909 Wrote:
(02-16-2017, 02:23 AM)Dbt13 Wrote: I'm curious about this too.  I'm all over the triple 5 ... struggle with the 20 though.

I throw lefty, gonna guess you throw righty?  That would explain the triple ones for me and triple fives for you...we're both tending to hook our throws...

Yep- Good observation!  I guess a hook to the 5 is a little better than to the 1 so I'm glad I'm a righty!
I'm definitely doing something wrong as my darts often tend to enter the board with the flights leaning a little towards the right.
(02-16-2017, 03:00 AM)Dbt13 Wrote: I'm definitely doing something wrong as my darts often tend to enter the board with the flights leaning a little towards the right.

Mine mostly go in straight, maybe a slight 5% lean to the left some of the time but nothing extreme.

My misses mostly go to the right of the target, below the target, or a combination of both.  It's like the misses are being pulled across my body and down.
A1 has made a staggering difference in my ability to hit the 20s

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=25466

(02-16-2017, 05:21 AM)pugtato Wrote: A1 has made a staggering difference in my ability to hit the 20s

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=25466

I've done A1 before and it is NOT a specific 20 practice routine.
I agree with the A1 routines not being specific to the nasty middle number. I have found banging the board has been working pretty good so far though, and not with a hammer when you miss. Throw at what you want to hit has been working pretty good thus far but not as often as I would hope for.
Just throw 21 darts at the 20 (single, double, triple does not matter). If you miss one start over. It's great to practice your 20's and good for learning to handle pressure too.
Darts: Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 LP 25g
Experiments: Lots
Results: I hit the board most of the time  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Playing reams of 01. Especially 1001 to give you longer on the 20's, with of course a goal at the end of it with having to set-up & hit yer check-outs.

I know this sounds an obvious one... but what else d'you need.... it's as specific as you can get in my opinion. You can up it to 2001, 3001 respectively.

Mate... the problem here, is your mechanics... and how much practice you've put your mechanics through the paces with. I have the same problem, my Darts drift to the Right ( I'm right handed ). Some times, and quite often when I'm playing... the Darts live a precarious existence on the dividing wire 'tween 20/1, some times my darts are all in the 20 segments, but right on the wire, I've scored enumerable amounts of 100's, 140, 180's and at least Two Darts, if not all three have been tucked up right against the wire.... there's also been bloody umpteen amounts of Darts, on the other side of the wire... ending up with scores of 9, 24, 62, 64, 83, 81, 123 ect.

I know why it's happening... my elbow keeps drifting to the right when I bring my fore-arm forward to throw my darts. I'm not keeping it still and fixed hence the darts are drifting.... it's a mechanics thing.... but because I'm inconsistent with my practice over the years ( I've not really put in the hourly practice 7 days a week ), there-fore my darts are inconsistent. Also more importantly, my arm is doing this because I'm inputting too much conscious muscle usage, your problem may be down to snatching the fore-arm ( when bringing fore-arm through on the throw the muscle tightens up and prevents a smooth follow-through direct to the intended target ), rather than drifting the elbow out.... the genesis of both is still too much muscle input, too much tension going through the Shoulder/Arm/Hand.

Do you put in a minimum 1 hour practice very day, every month through-out the year....?

It really does just come down to practice.... the Kinetics of Movement, and simplification of the amount of muscles used to throw the darts.
(02-17-2017, 12:22 AM)kresike Wrote: Just throw 21 darts at the 20 (single, double, triple does not matter). If you miss one start over. It's great to practice your 20's and good for learning to handle pressure too.

Are you suggesting to go for 21 in a row at the 20 before stopping?!  I'd seriously be there all day at this point lol...Think I need to start with a game called 9 darts at the 20 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-17-2017, 01:18 AM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: I know why it's happening... my elbow keeps drifting to the right when I bring my fore-arm forward to throw my darts. I'm not keeping it still and fixed hence the darts are drifting.... it's a mechanics thing.... but because I'm inconsistent with my practice over the years ( I've not really put in the hourly practice 7 days a week ), there-fore my darts are inconsistent. Also more importantly, my arm is doing this because I'm inputting too much conscious muscle usage, your problem may be down to snatching the fore-arm ( when bringing fore-arm through on the throw the muscle tightens up and prevents a smooth follow-through direct to the intended target ), rather than drifting the elbow out.... the genesis of both is still too much muscle input, too much tension going through the Shoulder/Arm/Hand.

Do you put in a minimum 1 hour practice very day, every month through-out the year....?

It really does just come down to practice.... the Kinetics of Movement, and simplification of the amount of muscles used to throw the darts.

I am a voracious practicer...1-3 hours a day, minimum, for the past three years...which makes this endeavor doubly frustrating...and yes it's constructive practicing, not just firing darts at the board...

You are correct about the elbow, (me being lefty) mine loves to drift left, but that's not all...if I do manage to keep it straight then the hand sometimes loves to flap across to the right (yes just the hand) at the end of the throw.  And let's not forget if I do manage to get both of these right then there's that tricky thing called the elbow drop...which isn't so bad on 20 but on everything else...well you get the idea...
I personally believe it's a mistake to concentrate on hitting a certain number, even one as important as 20's, as what you're really trying to do is improve your consistency. If your throw is consistent it will deliver regardless of the target.

That's why I think a drill like A1 is useful here and the fact that it is not a specific 20's drill is irrelevant. The strength of A1 is that it helps you develop and groove your throw in a low pressure environment; the throw is more important than the result... but as your throw improves so will the results.

If you're dead set on concentrating on 20's then something like 100 darts at 20's will probably help as long as you don't get too carried away trying to beat your score. This should be part of your practice (IMHO) that deals with developing repeatable mechanics rather than winning games or beating your score. There's a place for that in practice but I don't think this is it.....

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(02-17-2017, 02:51 AM).  Banz Wrote: I personally believe it's a mistake to concentrate on hitting a certain number, even one as important as 20's, as what you're really trying to do is improve your consistency.  If your throw is consistent it will deliver regardless of the target.  

That's why I think a drill like A1 is useful here and the fact that it is not a specific 20's drill is irrelevant.  The strength of A1 is that it helps you develop and groove your throw in a low pressure environment; the throw is more important than the result... but as your throw improves so will the results.

If you're dead set on concentrating on 20's then something like 100 darts at 20's will probably help as long as you don't get too carried away trying to beat your score.  This should be part of your practice (IMHO) that deals with developing repeatable mechanics rather than winning games or beating your score.  There's a place for that in practice but I don't think this is it.....

I am coming around to this thinking about A1...I've always been (and still am) terrible at it.  And it seems such a simple task to get two in the fat of each number (20-13) five times.  But one or two darts inevitably go in the triple, double, the small single area or just miss.  In the past I've found it incredibly frustrating and have simply gone back to practicing triples, doubles and bull...

I fully agree with your point on consistency across the board translating to consistency on individual numbers.

I did the A1 routine twice today and it took me well over an hour each time to finish.  George says to move on to A2 when you can complete it  "in a little more than five rounds".  Well I didn't count but it had to take me well over 30-40 rounds to complete!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Practice routines Roberts7286 11 809 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Mairtin Seoige
  Pre-tournament routines jones81 1 857 03-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Dorian