Target Darts.

Wildly inconsistent
So I've been darting for the last 6 months. LOVE THE GAME! I was progressing rather quickly. Here is where the problem begins. After 2 months i was averaging 46mpr in 501. Had a handful of 180s. Then a read a drill to measure your ability. Its basically 20 turns at 20. Then get your average. Thrn 1 turn around the board shooting doubles. 1st dart 9pts 2nd 6pts 3rd 3 points. Add that up. Then 3 turns of cricket shooting each number one turn each. I was around 170 most times. THen all df a sudden my 501 average dropped to around 40 and i was struggling to break 110 on my darts score. Im back to a 46mpr but im not getting any better. Any words of wisdom or advice?
Consistency is basically what separates us and the pros. It's the hardest thing to get right. There are no quick fixes. We might be capable of the odd 80-100 average leg but it's being able to do it regularly that makes an amazing player.

Just keep practicing.
We all flatten out at times in our darts progression.  For me it's having a routine in practice sessions that develops/works on all parts of ones game.
Regardless on how well your sessions go stay with and trust it.  Adjustments can be made if for example your scoring has diminished then up the % of time spent on scoring, but still keeping the other aspects of your routine going as well.
Trust the process and staying focused will certainly yield good results.  All the best with it and keep up the hard work. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
happens to me daily

was throwing a steady 60+ average to begin with earlier this morning, then couldnt average over 45 for about 5 legs,...then settled the final 5 legs at around 55

you have two choices, either back away and come back another day or power on through
I think a lot is in the mind, sometimes we try to hard and the more we try the harder it is to hit the targets, sounds backwards but I think that is my main problem, when I just throw casually kind of I throw great but as soon as I need to do it for a specific reason I throw worse than a beginner!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My advice would be to take the pressure off yourself and stop counting your successful darts for a while.  

The way I see practice is you are only as good as your weakest link. . . the dart furthest from the target.  Find what gets more consistent grouping from a throw that you feel in control of.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the advice. I think im putting to much pressure on myself. I did have my son record my throw and noticed i was getting up on the ball of my foot when i was theowing. Turned my foot and locked my lnee. Stopped that bad habit.
(02-15-2017, 04:39 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I think a lot is in the mind, sometimes we try to hard and the more we try the harder it is to hit the targets, sounds backwards but I think that is my main problem, when I just throw casually kind of I throw great but as soon as I need to do it for a specific reason I throw worse than a beg
 I think this is absolutely true about me.
(02-15-2017, 06:06 PM)Dbt13 Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 04:39 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I think a lot is in the mind, sometimes we try to hard and the more we try the harder it is to hit the targets, sounds backwards but I think that is my main problem, when I just throw casually kind of I throw great but as soon as I need to do it for a specific reason I throw worse than a beg
 I think this is absolutely true about me.

Yes I know it is my problem for sure, yesterday while talking on the phone I was just throwing some darts and hit 2 140's and a couple of 100+ as soon as the phone call ended I thought "I was throwing well there lets see if I can keep it up" so I throw again and 26, 45, 81 etc etc so I stopped lol!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inconsistent throw Philip Uys 8 1,938 04-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Blaze259