Harrows Darts.

Switched to Bullet Style...Feel like dart is "flipping" during flight
Hello friends,

I recently started shooting with a set of 26g Datadart Night Force darts. I love the feel of the bullet style darts but they're flying a little strange for my liking. I almost feel like they're "flipping" during the flight to the board whereas they fly out of my hand point up and wobble their way to the board, causing them to land point down almost violently and abruptly.

Any reason for this? I use the Harrows clic flights, short length. I've run through a couple of mechanical things (elbow placement, follow-through, etc). measurements are 41mm and 8.1mm.

Any ideas?

John
Longer stem may alleviate the "kick" in the dart through the air and its abrupt entry angle.
I agree with Great White. Try medium or long shafts. I've found that short shafts don't go very well with heavily front loaded darts as there needs to be a balancing effect the other end with longer shafts. Larger flights such as vortex and maxair will add to the stability.
(02-14-2017, 06:27 PM)jdispaldo Wrote: Hello friends,

I recently started shooting with a set of 26g Datadart Night Force darts. I love the feel of the bullet style darts but they're flying a little strange for my liking. I almost feel like they're "flipping" during the flight to the board whereas they fly out of my hand point up and wobble their way to the board, causing them to land point down almost violently and abruptly.

Any reason for this? I use the Harrows clic flights, short length. I've run through a couple of mechanical things (elbow placement, follow-through, etc). measurements are 41mm and 8.1mm.

Any ideas?

John

Concur with the others that your stems are likely too short.  What were you throwing before?  With a new barrel, I like to initially match the overall length (so barrel + stem + flight) with a "tried and trusted" setup. 

So if, say, you were using a 50mm barrel with short stems, then you'd put medium stems on a 40mm barrel.  That at least gets you in a ballpark, then you can tweak from there.
Where exactly are you gripping, and how hard? which darts mate? Any clear close-up photos of your grip? And do you arc them straight back, with your fingers held firm, or do you manipulate the darts during your rearward stroke? Any slipping fore or aft?

The only reason i ask is because it is possible to have nice flight patterns with heavy front loaders on a short shaft, but maybe that's just me, and I have been known to be odd.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Or just switch to longer shafts and larger flights as suggested. That way, no need to think too much.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Quit clic system and put tweenie or medium plastic stems with standard flights
I throw with bullet type darts an use very short stems and slim flights. I've experienced the "flip" before but my situation was different, my stems were actually too long and I had to switch from shorts to very short stems. I also , had to move my grip back just a tad like only a couple of mm's.

But like Ancient Darter, I am weird and throw with a lot shorter dart than most people.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switched arm now for 2 months Darts1234 3 267 10-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Darts1234
  Why do I feel the need to grip the shaft? Dartingmad1 7 517 02-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Acidus
  What Dart Shape and weight for my throw style and grip? hawk45 7 1,005 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Darts Flipping/Unstable During Flight tension33 6 1,215 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Mounty
  Which Bristow style dart has the most grip? Invictus 8 1,181 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Invictus