Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Aha moments?
How many do you have?

I've been trying to build a consistent throw, to which then I can begin to hone with practice, and what ive been looking for is predominantly comfort and repeat-ability.  so is the throw comfortable to me? am I confident in it? and can I repeat it to some degree?

Well in this search i have tried 4 different barrel shapes, 5 different weights, 2 different stem lengths and 3 different flight shapes. Having settled on a dart setup i moved to my grip which ive tried about 4 variants and today my 5th when I had that aha moment, everything now feels comfortable, repeatable, honeable,.....the only change I have had to make due to the grip change is my barrel weight dropping from 25gm to 21gm 

over 4 sets of 3 legs my average went up from low 50's to low 60's and my grouping was noticeably better, time will tell if its just a one off or if ive hit a patch of form that goes again though

the odd thing is the grip change involved the placement of a finger a few mm lower down on the barrel (If you imagine how a finger resting against the side of the point is lower than the fingers on the barrel, thats what ive done but on the barrel, so two on the side and ring finger slightly below centre)

tiny things in this game!
I'm still waiting for my aha moment but it's good (and bad in a way) to know that they do happen.
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 
(02-14-2017, 04:42 PM)Blurds Wrote: I'm still waiting for my aha moment but it's good (and bad in a way) to know that they do happen.

Its taken me 4 months with an hour+ a day of practising and probably £200+ worth of darts etc, I wish i'd of found my grip first though, would of saved me a fortune in darts

Now to decide between lewis pixels or carrera c4's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-14-2017, 04:51 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:
(02-14-2017, 04:42 PM)Blurds Wrote: I'm still waiting for my aha moment but it's good (and bad in a way) to know that they do happen.

Its taken me 4 months with an hour+ a day of practising and probably £200+ worth of darts etc, I wish i'd of found my grip first though, would of saved me a fortune in darts

Now to decide between lewis pixels or carrera c4's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
People are already joking I'm buying so much stuff!
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 
I have a throw that can often work great, I would say its totally manufactured, now my issue is that as soon as I put myself under pressure it no longer works smoothly and jerks and sticks and goes completely to pieces but when that happens I think I start adding things in to try and make the darts go where I want and its frustrating as I then cant go back to what I previously thought was my new throw but then the next day I can pick up the darts and throw the way I have kind of programmed myself to do it and it works great then as soon as I start getting serious again the same problems happen, its so annoying!

I hope your small change stays as a part of your throw and you can keep it working for you Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-14-2017, 05:05 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I have a throw that can often work great, I would say its totally manufactured, now my issue is that as soon as I put myself under pressure it no longer works smoothly and jerks and sticks and goes completely to pieces but when that happens I think I start adding things in to try and make the darts go where I want and its frustrating as I then cant go back to what I previously thought was my new throw but then the next day I can pick up the darts and throw the way I have kind of programmed myself to do it and it works great then as soon as I start getting serious again the same problems happen, its so annoying!

I hope your small change stays as a part of your throw and you can keep it working for you Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I suffer/suffered from that too, ill step up in league to play and all of a sudden i cant hit anything but 5's, then i start tweaking my grip again and like you that is a bandaid that then stops working so i tweak again

hopefully this sticks though!
I know with me its purely mental, once I get that mental block out the way the dart group really well and accuracy improves massively.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-14-2017, 05:20 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I know with me its purely mental, once I get that mental block out the way the dart group really well and accuracy improves massively.

pretty much the same, i dont think for me its helped that every league game ive had a different setup or different grip then as soon as it goes awry im tweaking mid game/throw even.

Im hoping now ive found close to my ideal setup and my most comfortable grip I can just power on with practice, the hardest part will be the mental side when things do go south a bit is to just accept it and plow on and fix with practice rather than setup/grip

took me years to figure that out in my golf game mind, even today when things arent going well i will tinker with things mid round trying to get back to that repeatable setup/swing that I can rely on
Sounds like my progression over the last several months. I went from my thumb, ring, middle and forefinger all holding the dart to removing my ring finger from the equation and moving the grip toward the point a bit more; several back and forth changes in dart weights; and changing my stance from my foot being parallel to the oche to not parallel and back. I still haven't figured out where along the oche is best for me to stand. I've moved up and down as much as a foot and see no notable difference. For now I'm aligning the middle of my front leg (right) to the bull. This game could drive one to therapy if you let it.
Favorite Darts (For Now):  Target Precision Ariane - 20g
Other Darts Owned:
- Accudart - (Don't Recall Model - Purchased in Late 80's) - 17g
- US Darts Fuzion Ringed Grip - 19g
- Unicorn World Champion van Barneveld, Silver Natural Phase 1 - 21g
- Unknown Brand Purchased a Few Years Ago - 22g
- Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 2, Natural - 24g
(02-14-2017, 06:26 PM)JDinMD Wrote: Sounds like my progression over the last several months. I went from my thumb, ring, middle and forefinger all holding the dart to removing my ring finger from the equation and moving the grip toward the point a bit more; several back and forth changes in dart weights; and changing my stance from my foot being parallel to the oche to not parallel and back. I still haven't figured out where along the oche is best for me to stand. I've moved up and down as much as a foot and see no notable difference. For now I'm aligning the middle of my front leg (right) to the bull. This game could drive one to therapy if you let it.

seems to be a theme emergin amongst those looking to improve or find their game!

Well last night I started with my 21gm Gando's and after averaging in the 30's first 2 legs I got it back up to low 50's,.......played like that for a while before switching to my 25gm Gando's and got up to the mid 50's

My dilemma is I like the barrel width of the 21g's but not the lightness, and i prefer the weight of the 25g's but not the thicker barrel width,.........im thinking something 23/24gm with a slim-ish barrell will all in likelyhood be the right ballpark for me.

As far as my practice went though the only thing i changed was perhaps my alignment, but only by an inch or so, stance/grip remained the same throughout 2 hours of practice, first time ive ever done that!
aha moment did not last long,....if anything it declined me into a slump of low 40's average and not snatching/pulling the dart rather bad, no feeling of accuracy at all

I've since reverted to a modified version of the grip i first threw with when i was youngerand im back to high 60's,......although history is likely repeating itself haha
Still on my first set of proper tungstens,
I have had them for nearly 40 years not sure if they are one ones yet ( lol ) ?
Back to using my Elven 19gm,throw far better than with my cut down 21gm mvgs.
Slingin' for Satan 
The Devils hand.......
I will torment you
OTMAPP......FYW
I think for me the journey on dart style/weight/stems/flights is about over. I prefer a straight barrel, with lots of grips and no shiny bits, short stems, pear flights, and a weight of around 22/23g,................any darts i buy moving forward will fit this category but it wont be about finding anything better, more dart tartism i guess

my grip is still a progression to something i feel is the most repeatable/dependable, but once i find that i'll start honing it over a period of months/years and spend more time on practice routines
My "aha moment" came after two years of throwing like crap with my first set of 23g tungstens which was too long and thin for me. I was in a pub in England and a couple guys who saw my throw told me I needed a barrel that was shorter and thicker than what I was throwing. So I bought an eight-quid set from the bar that fit the bill, shorter, thicker and two grams heavier.

The previous year in California I played a full league season and could only manage two 140s all year - I was as bad at steel tip as I was in soft tip (in a soft tip league later I also managed only two 140s for a full season). On that day in the English pub, after maybe an hour throwing with my cheap new set, I threw two 140s in a row for the first time in my life.

How I wish those two guys had watched me throw in California.