Harrows Darts.

Flinch?
As a beginner I've learned that what my eyes are doing is critical. If my focus on the target is absolutely unwavering, I do much better.

The problem is, when I draw back and the dart gets near my face it often breaks the focus of my eyes for a fraction of a second. It's almost a flinch. Telling myself to ignore the dart is like saying "don't think about the word rhinoceros". It makes it worse.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance!
whm on Cape Cod

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk
This is a tough one. To be honest this is one of the few problems I have not struggled with! You could try to bring the dart back lower but I would bet that would throw off your stroke and your accuracy would suffer. For me, I focus strongly on the target to the point that everything else blurs away. This is what I did in the military as a shooter and a sniper and I still use this when I shoot handguns or archery recreationally today. It takes practice but you can do it.

Part of it for me is the anticipation of the dart going down range. The closer I come to the draw back happening the greater my focus. All else blurs away and I never see the dart until it is almost at the board. I only see the dart when I take up my stance and get in position to throw. I like the dart to be lined up with the target but almost immediately after that the dart blurs away and all I see is my target.

Wish I had a better suggestion for you but laser focus on the target, after setting up, is the best I have. Even if I am throwing in a bar I don't hear conversation around me or even the music that is playing. I am sure ther are many more experienced darters here that might have a magic pill!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(02-12-2017, 06:40 AM)ranger86 Wrote: This is a tough one. To be honest this is one of the few problems I have not struggled with! You could try to bring the dart back lower but I would bet that would throw off your stroke and your accuracy would suffer. For me, I focus strongly on the target to the point that everything else blurs away. This is what I did in the military as a shooter and a sniper and I still use this when I shoot handguns or archery recreationally today. It takes practice but you can do it.

Part of it for me is the anticipation of the dart going down range. The closer I come to the draw back happening the greater my focus. All else blurs away and I never see the dart until it is almost at the board. I only see the dart when I take up my stance and get in position to throw. I like the dart to be lined up with the target but almost immediately after that the dart blurs away and all I see is my target.

Wish I had a better suggestion for you but laser focus on the target, after setting up, is the best I have. Even if I am throwing in a bar I don't hear conversation around me or even the music that is playing. I am sure ther are many more experienced darters here that might have a magic pill!
Thanks for your thoughts. You're right about bringing the dart back lower. That does through off the stroke. I think I must have to focus more intently on the target right from the start. From your description, your focus on the target is of an entirely different level of intensity from mine! Many thanks.

I have had the same problem over the many years I've been playing, and my eyes haven't gotten any better in that time.   Where I once could throw without glasses, I now have bifocals.  When I take my dart back I temporarily block the view of the target on my dominant eye and I focus more with my left eye until the dart clears my line of sight.

As a beginner, your throwing motion is likely not an almost automatic thing just yet where repetition of the same throw over time becomes almost second nature.  I still look to where my target is, but I tend to rely on my stroke to get the dart there with a level of consistency because it's not your eyes that are going to get the dart there, it is your stroke.  I have found if I overthink things, that is when they tend to go south more rapidly as your focus is not where it should be.
Agreed.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(02-12-2017, 04:03 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I have had the same problem over the many years I've been playing, and my eyes haven't gotten any better in that time.   Where I once could throw without glasses, I now have bifocals.  When I take my dart back I temporarily block the view of the target on my dominant eye and I focus more with my left eye until the dart clears my line of sight.

As a beginner, your throwing motion is likely not an almost automatic thing just yet where repetition of the same throw over time becomes almost second nature.  I still look to where my target is, but I tend to rely on my stroke to get the dart there with a level of consistency because it's not your eyes that are going to get the dart there, it is your stroke.  I have found if I overthink things, that is when they tend to go south more rapidly as your focus is not where it should be.
Thanks for the comments. This is all helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one, and that it can be worked through.

I have this flinch. The elimination of this is one of my number one targets for 2017. Sadly, I don't have any better suggestions than those already offered I'm afraid.
Being an aimer too, I suppose we're more susceptible to it than the rhythm throwers. I do think it's likely related to not being relaxed.
(02-12-2017, 11:52 PM)Jefferz Wrote: I have this flinch. The elimination of this is one of my number one targets for 2017. Sadly, I don't have any better suggestions than those already offered I'm afraid.
Being an aimer too, I suppose we're more susceptible to it than the rhythm throwers. I do think it's likely related to not being relaxed.
I think you're right about not being relaxed. When I'm throwing darts my brain is having a nonstop conversation with myself.... Note to self: STFU!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked Weird flinch I've picked up BRawsKO 3 447 10-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Getagrip