Double Top Darts.

Higher & Lower
Having trouble atm. I've been playing darts fairly regularly for just under a year and I've recently started practicing at home more regularly.

Unfortunately my new practise regime results in more frustration than anything.

My biggest problem seems to be accuracy, I often throw too high or too low, it's particularly noticeable on 16s, I'll often put some in 11 and 14.

I'm trying to get my elbow up more and follow through but atm the follow through doesn't seem part of the throw, if that makes sense? It's like I follow through for the sake of it.

Anyway, waffle. Anyone have any pointers or experienced similar problems?
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 
I'm not a big fan of moving along the line to throw at numbers, but many people do that and they seem to have a better degree of accuracy when they do instead of staying in one place along the line. Perhaps if you tried to get in direct line with the 16 wedge and throw more directly at it your results would improve.

You don't mention where you stand at the line, but I think most folks try to stand with their throwing arm when raised to be in line with the 20 and 3 wedges straight up and down along a center line on the board. You also don't mention if you are a righty or lefty. Some folks have more problems when throwing across their body at numbers.
If you are staying in line, and it sounds like you are, then the problem is likely forcing the follow through. My experience is that this will cause darts to fly high or low.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(02-08-2017, 01:08 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I'm not a big fan of moving along the line to throw at numbers, but many people do that and they seem to have a better degree of accuracy when they do instead of staying in one place along the line. Perhaps if you tried to get in direct line with the 16 wedge and throw more directly at it your results would improve.

You don't mention where you stand at the line, but I think most folks try to stand with their throwing arm when raised to be in line with the 20 and 3 wedges straight up and down along a center line on the board. You also don't mention if you are a righty or lefty. Some folks have more problems when throwing across their body at numbers.
Yeah, I've mixed it up but I'll usually stay in line with what I'm aiming at. I'm a righty and maybe it could be something to do with throwing across my body. Thanks
(02-08-2017, 01:37 AM)ranger86 Wrote: If you are staying in line, and it sounds like you are, then the problem is likely forcing the follow through. My experience is that this will cause darts to fly high or low.
Yeah it feels forced, tbh I'd have given up on it a while back as I feel I've regressed in some ways, but as it seems so important I'm determined to get it right. Any pointers for getting it more natural?
(02-08-2017, 02:01 AM)Blurds Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 01:37 AM)ranger86 Wrote: If you are staying in line, and it sounds like you are, then the problem is likely forcing the follow through. My experience is that this will cause darts to fly high or low.
Yeah it feels forced, tbh I'd have given up on it a while back as I feel I've regressed in some ways, but as it seems so important I'm determined to get it right. Any pointers for getting it more natural?

For me it was just practice and then more practice.

I found it useful, when practicing grooving my throw, to do it during A1 where the pressure of hitting the target is low.  Follow through was the big thing I changed so it was just a matter of sticking with it until it became natural.  This way of throwing for me is now 100% natural but it took me months (probably 3 or 4 months) of practicing 4 or 5 times a week before I got there.

Your mileage my vary depending how ingrained your present throw is but it will probably take a while!

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
I know my throw looks snatchy ,,,where when you release the dart and you hand looks like it stops or even jerks back ,,,I know I do this sometimes ,,, I been throwing way to long to worry about how it looks ,, results are everything,,, so when I do catch myself short arming it or snatching my throw ,, it usually means I did not set myself at the oche to give my arm and elbow plenty of free space to make a solid shot,,, as in I did not plant my weight on my left foot and lean forward enough to get a go throw,,,, if you can picture that in you mind ,,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts consistently go higher than target Bob dart 4 783 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Berlin180
  RE: How to throw darts that hit lower portion of the dart board Dumbeedum 12 2,962 09-02-2016, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Dartbuggy