Darts Buddy

Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing

I had an one question. - Japanese soft style throwing is not like steel style throwing. Why?

So I study it and I can find answer.

I think steel style is better than Japanese, because it is more safe than Japanese.
Interesting ,,,, I tend to agree their is a difference,,,And I think it has a lot to do with the difference in the weight of the darts some what,,,,as typically the steel darts weigh 8+ grams heavier,,,,and in my case ,,, My 11 grams soft tip barrels vs Taylor's 26 gram gen 3's 15 grams of difference ,,,, would make most people throw them differently,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But through trial and error I have found a set of Unicorn Mantis 19g that I can throw the same way soft or steel ,,, at least I think ,,, 2017 will prove it 1 way or the other ,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-07-2017, 03:36 PM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Interesting ,,,, I tend to agree their is a difference,,,And I think it has a lot to do with the difference in the weight of the darts some what,,,,as typically the steel darts weigh 8+ grams heavier,,,,and in my case ,,, My 11 grams soft tip barrels vs Taylor's 26 gram gen 3's 15 grams of difference ,,,, would make most people throw them differently,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But through trial and error I have found a set of Unicorn Mantis 19g that I can throw the same way soft or steel ,,, at least I think ,,, 2017 will prove it 1 way or the other ,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Weight is very interesting point, too.

Beginning of soft darts, board segment was not so strong. It was too weak and makers made a guide line - setting weight 18g.

Weight limit made a different darts culture, too : )

And I think that balance also make a different throw feeling. 

Balance make different throw experience.
Love this sort of discussion +1
I think the throw should be the same regardless, its just that with soft tip the weight is usually lighter, but you could throw the same weight in steel tip as soft tip, I don't think my throw changes when throwing soft tip?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-07-2017, 06:54 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I think the throw should be the same regardless, its just that with soft tip the weight is usually lighter, but you could throw the same weight in steel tip as soft tip, I don't think my throw changes when throwing soft tip?

I think you don't need to change when you throw soft tip.

Because 

1) Japanese player also throw heavy soft tip barrel (20g or more) like Japanese soft style. They still throw their own style.

2) My barrel is soft tip barrel. Just conversion tip. - That means it's weight is not over 20g. : )

3) When I throw soft tip barrel, I throw steel darts style. : My style is confirmed steel style. Hahaha.

I divide two throw - that is just how to and where to use muscle. 

I think that throwing style is not only weight but also darts culture. Yes. that is Japanese darts culture. I check many Japanese pro player's videos and I know they have a trend - > I just analyze it.

Japan have long time steel darts history. But that wasn't make Japanese soft darts culture. 

Many Japanese pro players didn't get information, so they grow up themselves. 

If they didn't get injuries, I don't check it. But I see many players who got injuries. (Korea also too)

So I study throw style and I made this video : )
(02-07-2017, 06:44 PM)Steve_00 Wrote: Love this sort of discussion +1

Thank you : )
Could some of the difference come from the need to have a flat throw in soft-tip to prevent bounce-outs as opposed to steel-tip where the darts can enter the board at an angle and still stick?
I like the video you did. The comparison was very clear in the throwing. Thank-you for that.
I've always thought there was a difference between the way softtip players throw vs. pdc players but couldn't confirm it.
Your video take cares of that!
MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I started in soft tip in the USA ,,, and when I started I did not know who's who in the dart culture,,,, but what I did know was because every dart that stuck in the board was always sticking straight out at the same angle ,,, I worked at getting my darts to enter the board at that precise angle ,,, still do today ,,, one of the reasons Phil Taylor is a favorite darter of of mine,,,,,,, I can tell you my throw with my old 13 gram darts is quite different than my 19 gram darts of today,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-08-2017, 12:50 AM)bkbum Wrote: Could some of the difference come from the need to have a flat throw in soft-tip to prevent bounce-outs as opposed to steel-tip where the darts can enter the board at an angle and still stick?

I agree your opinion partly. Because I also find that other country players (like USA, SPAIN)  have something like Japanese players.

But other county players don't same because their base is steel darts culture. But Japan is not. Their start point was zero base. So they didn't know how to throw. That is important point. : )
(02-08-2017, 03:16 AM)Mr.K Wrote: I like the video you did.  The comparison was very clear in the throwing.  Thank-you for that.
I've always thought there was a difference between the way softtip players throw vs. pdc players but couldn't confirm it.
Your video take cares of that!

Thank you. Video help you, it's my honor : )
(02-08-2017, 04:27 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: I started in soft tip in the USA ,,, and when I started I did not know who's who in the dart culture,,,, but what I did know was because every dart that stuck in the board was always sticking straight out at the same angle ,,, I worked at getting my darts to enter the board at that precise angle ,,, still do today ,,, one of the reasons Phil Taylor is a favorite darter of of mine,,,,,,, I can tell you my throw with my old 13 gram darts is quite different than my 19 gram darts of today,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Phil's barrel is very interesting. He uses heavy weight shaft (almost 2g), so that makes his unique barrel flight. (I tested it. hahaha )

I agree that your old 13g darts is different than your 19g 

: )
I'm not so sure myself, the video of Taylor throwing in soft tips looks the same as his steel tip throw to me, may be some people consciously make a slight change and others don't, I will have to check my own throw with both to see but I don't think I do anything different but I could be wrong?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(02-08-2017, 10:41 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I'm not so sure myself, the video of Taylor throwing in soft tips looks the same as his steel tip throw to me, may be some people consciously make a slight change and others don't, I will have to check my own throw with both to see but I don't think I do anything different but I could be wrong?

Yes. Phil doesn't change his throwing when he throw steel or soft. He always throws his own style : )

I think we don't need change our style. But we must check barrel's setting and balance before throwing. Changing balance is very big point when you throw.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do some darts players lick the tips of their fingers before throwing? tropicalpalmtree 30 1,153 02-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  When your throwing is interrupted Crusher17 11 409 01-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Darts Fans: Yusuke from Japanese Guy TV Dartsweb 32 2,345 12-04-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Throwing from right vs left of oche portsetonloyal 7 448 05-27-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Rollback
  Japanese Guy TV darts by Winmau LethalEagle 14 803 04-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Throwing too hard ... Borisbbadd 10 525 03-07-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  What Were They Throwing? Zero 8 681 12-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Throwing Really Thin Barrels portsetonloyal 12 1,261 11-28-2019, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Guinness333
  soft vs steel Eso Rimmer 24 1,276 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM