Harrows Darts.

pulling darts
##New working link## A short while ago I posted a video of my throw (take a quick look here if you wish: [url=https://youtu.be/qlYGb4EBOvA[/url] ) and the main issue with my throw is that I pull darts down and to the left. Now I and others have identified this as a  flaw, I have been working on eliminating it form my game. Its not gone very well. Whatever I do my arm just for some reason decides to pull left, even when I'm concentrating so much upon making sure it doesn't work. If I try too hard I just push it into the one. What can I do to sort this? Thanks for any advice peeps.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
21g Harrows Fire
The video's not coming up for me, but maybe it has something to do with subconsciously reaching for your next dart before your throw's finished? I remember someone saying not so long ago about if your arm isn't straight and release is off, the dart will go one way with an early release and the other way when released late.

Without seeing the video I don't know what your rhythm's like, but maybe you could practice counting during each part of the throw, so 1,2,3: pick up the dart, adjust your grip side to side and forwards. 4,5,6 sight your target, straighten your arm, elbow up. 7,8,9: pull back, shoot the dart, point at the target.

That sounds like a very slow, deliberate throw to start out, but I guess after a while I guess you could compress the steps into a 2 count, and later into 1 count each. If things start feeling like they're going awry then you can always go back to a longer count.
(02-07-2017, 12:34 AM)Steve_00 Wrote: The video's not coming up for me, but maybe it has something to do with subconsciously reaching for your next dart before your throw's finished? I remember someone saying not so long ago about if your arm isn't straight and release is off, the dart will go one way with an early release and the other way when released late.

Without seeing the video I don't know what your rhythm's like, but maybe you could practice counting during each part of the throw, so 1,2,3: pick up the dart, adjust your grip side to side and forwards. 4,5,6 sight your target, straighten your arm, elbow up. 7,8,9: pull back, shoot the dart, point at the target.

That sounds like a very slow, deliberate throw to start out, but I guess after a while I guess you could compress the steps into a 2 count, and later into 1 count each. If things start feeling like they're going awry then you can always go back to a longer count.
Thanks Steve yes my throw is pretty quick and the reaching for the next dart thing could be a big factor and I will definitely try what you have suggested. Cheers
21g Harrows Fire
(02-06-2017, 10:30 PM)liam_winnard Wrote: A short while ago I posted a video of my throw (take a quick look here if you wish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKwVUwssoXw ) and the main issue with my throw is that I pull darts down and to the left. Now I and others have identified this as a  flaw, I have been working on eliminating it form my game. Its not gone very well. Whatever I do my arm just for some reason decides to pull left, even when I'm concentrating so much upon making sure it doesn't work. If I try too hard I just push it into the one. What can I do to sort this? Thanks for any advice peeps.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Also cannot see the vid. First thing I thought of is to letting go of the darts slightly earlier. Second thing is your shoulders' alignment with your body. Move your upper body in such a position that your arm cannot do anything else but move straight. If I stand too straight facing the oche, my arm also goes left, if I stand a bit more sideways I can hit at least 60 per turn without even aiming, because all darts go very straight.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

RELAX. Take all the tension out of your Shoulder, Upper-arm, Fore-arm and Hand... takes time over practice. How long have you been playing darts..?

Relaxing the Body, is far more important than body position. People snatch or pull darts because they're using too much muscle input to move the Arm to throw the dart. Not, in my opinion cos this ain't lined up, or that ain't lined up, or this foot should be there, or that foot should be here. Stand how feels natural and comfortable.

Again, these things become refined with practice over time... but for me this is basically it. Relaxation, and training your body to use minimal muscle input when throwing, also keep your non-throwing Arm relaxed too.

My advice would be not to fill your head with changing positions on the Oche all the time... your position on the Oche should be one that comes natural, stand how you feel natural. Focus your efforts then on training your throw mechanism with minimal muscle usage. One caveat though, is when you have the Dart pulled back and ready to launch forward.... you must keep the Shoulder, Upper-arm and elbow still when releasing Fore-arm and Hand forward to throw, when throwing the Dart only the Fore-arm and hand should be moving, doesn't matter before that when setting up your throw, just when the hand goes forward to throw..... but this is where relaxation comes into effect, it your using minimal muscle usage, you won't pull the arm out of line and hence pull the Dart, or snatch the Dart.
I'm no expert but I do remember Wayne mardle discovering (after he retired) that when he was bringing the dart back to throw, he was sometimes holding the dart at a bit of an angle, meaning that he had darts sneaking left into the 5 bed. Could have something to do with them going left? Perhaps not. But I would also try relaxing, maybe you're over thinking things, I'm totally guilty of that.
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 
I cannot see the video either and would like to take a look. Can you put it up again or fix the problem with it being down ?
Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback all I am taking it all in to account. Here is the new link to the video (I will edit the link in the thread aswell) : https://youtu.be/qlYGb4EBOvA
21g Harrows Fire
(02-07-2017, 12:43 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: RELAX. Take all the tension out of your Shoulder, Upper-arm, Fore-arm and Hand... takes time over practice. How long have you been playing darts..?

Relaxing the Body, is far more important than body position. People snatch or pull darts because they're using too much muscle input to move the Arm to throw the dart. Not, in my opinion cos this ain't lined up, or that ain't lined up, or this foot should be there, or that foot should be here. Stand how feels natural and comfortable.

Again, these things become refined with practice over time... but for me this is basically it. Relaxation, and training your body to use minimal muscle input when throwing, also keep your non-throwing Arm relaxed too.

My advice would be not to fill your head with changing positions on the Oche all the time... your position on the Oche should be one that comes natural, stand how you feel natural. Focus your efforts then on training your throw mechanism with minimal muscle usage. One caveat though, is when you have the Dart pulled back and ready to launch forward.... you must keep the Shoulder, Upper-arm and elbow still when releasing Fore-arm and Hand forward to throw, when throwing the Dart only the Fore-arm and hand should be moving, doesn't matter before that when setting up your throw, just when the hand goes forward to throw..... but this is where relaxation comes into effect, it your using minimal muscle usage, you won't pull the arm out of line and hence pull the Dart, or snatch the Dart. 

Great post!

It's amazing how easy the dart gets to the board when you relax.  It's a lot like golf, firm but not tight.  You can't release properly if you are too tense.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
Hi Liam.
Are you standing straight on the oche? it doesn't matter if not its just for a frontal view on the video its easier to see your alignment when your dead centre.
I can clearly see your hand going a cross your body, its something I suffer with too. What I do to help this is ONLY think about throwing straight while I'm practicing and NEVER think during a match. It doesn't matter what your target is everything is a straight throw to the target so I use A1 as my straight shooter. I lift my hand up and make a mental cue of saying 'SET' then I hold for a second and then make a mental cue of ' AND' on the drawback the in one motion I throw the dart with the cue ' THROW'. Now hold your arm there nice and straight until you hear the dart hitting the board. So SET.....AND..THROW.
The next thing I do is throw 100 darts at 20, using dart partner app to count when I hit and miss, its about a straight dart so doubles ,trebles and singles all count. The app has a routine called 100 darts triple I use to count but I just hit the single button whether I hit a triple or single.
The advice above about relaxing is golden.
(02-19-2017, 08:43 PM)Tom12481 Wrote: Hi Liam.
 Are you standing straight on the oche? it doesn't matter if not its just for a frontal view on the video its easier to see your alignment when your dead centre.
I can clearly see your hand going a cross your body, its something I suffer with too. What I do to help this is ONLY think about throwing straight while I'm practicing and NEVER think during a match. It doesn't matter what your target is everything is a straight throw to the target so I use A1 as my straight shooter. I lift my hand up and make a mental cue of saying 'SET' then I hold for a second and then make a mental cue of ' AND' on the drawback the in one motion I throw the dart with the cue ' THROW'. Now hold your arm there nice and straight until you hear the dart hitting the board. So SET.....AND..THROW.
The next thing I do is throw 100 darts at 20, using dart partner app to count when I hit and miss, its about a straight dart so doubles ,trebles and singles all count. The app has a routine called 100 darts triple I use to count but I just hit the single button whether I hit a triple or single.
  The advice  above about relaxing is golden.

Thanks Tom in this video I stood slightly to the right but it was a couple of months ago and I have since moved to the centre. I have recently tried to be a lot more relaxed while throwing and it does make quite a difference. I will definitely try the app you mentioned. Thanks for your advice.
21g Harrows Fire

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulling/snatching the dart tropicalpalmtree 15 579 03-01-2021, 10:43 PM
Last Post: tropicalpalmtree
  Beginner Help - Pulling my darts right. Rokabera 14 3,075 12-30-2016, 04:45 PM
Last Post: kungfuron