Shot Darts

A couple of easy DIY tips.
A couple of tips that may be of interest.

1) After buying 2 different oche measuring tapes both of which were off, by 1/2" in one case and 3/4" in the other case I decided to make my own.  I used a non stretch cord like spectra or spider line fishing line..it is important the the cord or line be very low stretch

Tie a non slip loop in one end put the loop over a nail in the floor or long work bench and lay a tape measure along side--with that done simply pull the line taunt and tie an overhand knot at each of the 3 distances ie 5'8" for height, 7' 9 1/4" for horizontal and 9' 7 3/8" for the slant.  Make sure that the tape measure end is even w/ the end of the loop on the nail and make sure that 
 when the knots are tightened up they are spot on as far as the correct distance is concerned.  After tying the knots you could color them with a sharpie or something but it is not necessary as you can easily feel and see them.

Now you have a oche checking device that is cheap, accurate and can be rolled up very small and carried in your darts wallet.  With this you will always be able to check the set-up of any board you play on.  To check the slant distance put a dart in the loop and stick it in the center of the bull at a very steep angle and it will not move. To check the height do the same, to check the horizontal you may need another person to hold the loop in the correct position.

2)  I have dropped a couple of the cheap darts sharpeners( the bare carborundum ones ) and had them either break or chip.  What I did that helps prevent this is to take a strip of duct or gorilla tape at the proper width and just wrap the outside of the sharpener with it.  If you take your time you can make it look neat and very nice.

Hope this is of interest to someone.
Nice tips Joe!

+1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I will move this to the help and guides section as it may got lost in general chat.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
OK, thanks and thanks for the +1!
Thanks for the tip.. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Handy tips, thank you for sharing
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
good one Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the tip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Good idea
Again with the hidden gems
These tips are getting old but first time that I looked at them. Great tips just the same.
Great idea, I'm gonna try it. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Michael van Gerwen XQ Max 23g / Gary Anderson Phase 3 23g
180s: 2017: 15 - HF: 109 - 180s: 2018: 46 - HF: 130
180s: 2019: 1 - HF: 139
Thanks for the tip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Good tips
Great post

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts Stand. Easy & Cheap Pac 12 2,391 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Rottweiler180