Darts Buddy

Question about Custom Made Darts
Okay, what's cooking fellas?  At risk of sounding daft, I am going to pose a question.  I am interested in having a custom set of darts made but I don't really know how to go about it.  I have an idea in mind and from what I've read about their capabilities and looking at the many examples pictured on the site, I think it could be easily realized.  Thing is, I don't have access to any sort of drafting software nor would I know how to use it, if I did.  I also can't draw very well, so there's that.  I can see the image in my head as clear as day but how do I convey that to the guys at Custom Made Darts without sounding like a complete tool?  I surely can't be the first to encounter such a quandary..........am I?  Any advice is welcome!  Thanks!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Try describing it in words/measurements to us? If you can do that, it may be all you need to tell the guy you want to make them. All I did was tell edddie (elven darts) the type of grip, the length, the width and the nose of the barrel. But my design was very simple compared to some others

If yours is complicated, you may be able to work with somebody who does have access to the software to sketch it up.
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
Although I've never gone with a set myself, pretty sure I've seen Madhouse post on this very topic and paper and pencil were recommended. A machinist doesn't need art, just a clear description of the piece and dimensions clearly called out (as John_B mentioned). Maybe just take a stab at one or two rudimentary drawings together with a description and send it to Tony. I imagine if anything is unclear he will inquire before taking any action, and may even offer some tips or ideas for a final design based on your less-than-amazing (or better-than-you-think) drawings.
Don't know if it's any use to you but this is what I sent for mine.. nothing fancy just a word doc with some cut pictures on it.. it's at least a good starting point for a conversation..

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images." border="0" alt="resim" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this);" />

Hope it helps anyway!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
What I'm thinking about is a 24g(+/-0.5), 54-55mm X 7mm, straight barrel with a combination of Eric Bristow, RD Javelin and Unicorn Purist style rings. It'll probably need to be 80% tungsten to get the diameter right.  From the rear, I was thinking about a scalloped section like the Phase 3 or smooth section like the Phase 1/Javelin but just a touch longer...maybe 2mm.  From there toward a Purist Phase 3 nose and book-ended by Purist style rings, would be a section of the wide Javelin and narrow Bristow style rings in a 1 wide/3 narrow/1 wide pattern.  Seems simple enough, right?  But then again I'm not the one whittling the thing out of metal either!  That leads me to another question.  Custom Made or Elven?  Hmmm?
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Okay, I've been looking online and everything that I can find on Elven darts is either a dead-end or just leads me back here.  Are Elven and Custom Made(the site listed at the bottom of this page) one and the same?  If not, is one better than the other: work, price or shipping/transactions?  Thanks!
- Red

Current Favorite:

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Custom made is aka Mad House Darts (Tony) and Elven is Eddie so different people Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Target Carrera C10 - 24g
Dartboard: One80 Gladiator II
Lighting: Target Vision 360
Surround: Winmau Orange
(02-06-2017, 01:26 AM)Danger Mouse Wrote: Custom made is aka Mad House Darts (Tony) and Elven is Eddie so different people Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Okay, cool!  Thank you!  How do I contact Elven?
- Red

Current Favorite:

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Pm sent for elven darts info
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
(02-06-2017, 01:26 AM)Danger Mouse Wrote: Custom made is aka Mad House Darts (Tony) and Elven is Eddie so different people Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(02-06-2017, 04:53 AM)John_B Wrote: Pm sent for elven darts info

Sweet!  Thanks!
- Red

Current Favorite:

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Like you I had a vague idea and I'm not the greatest artist....however a quick drawing with a couple of measurements on and bang Madhouse made them....very easy even for an idiot like me. From what I've seen/experienced you can't go wrong with either maker that has been recommended (however madhouse is a forum sponsor). Good Luck mate I hope you get what your looking for Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
[center]Darts : Red Dragon Polaris  (22g ), Medium Nylon stems , Amazon Pear Flights.[/center]
Soft Tip: 18g Unicorn Barrels,Medium Nylon Stems,Standard Flights,Target Pixel Tips.

Steel Board: unicorn Eclipse Pro 
Soft Tip Board: Granboard Dash 

GranID: GazzaB82 
              (The Biscuit) 
www.custommadedarts.com  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

This is all I sent Eddie, went perfectly despite my crappy drawing.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
Unfortunately, I received a disappointing email from Eddie at Elven Darts this morning.  I sent him my idea mentioned earlier in this thread and his reply was that he is nearing retirement and would not be able to make them.  He said that he was only making the odd simple set for local customers at this point.  I guess I will have to explore other avenues.
- Red

Current Favorite:

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Sad news indeed, I'm sure a lot of users on here alone will miss his work? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Target Carrera C10 - 24g
Dartboard: One80 Gladiator II
Lighting: Target Vision 360
Surround: Winmau Orange
(02-15-2017, 05:20 PM)Red Wrote: Unfortunately, I received a disappointing email from Eddie at Elven Darts this morning.  I sent him my idea mentioned earlier in this thread and his reply was that he is nearing retirement and would not be able to make them.  He said that he was only making the odd simple set for local customers at this point.  I guess I will have to explore other avenues.

It was awhiles back when he told me that he would stop accepting overseas jobs, but never explained why.

Some members in or around Europe (and some in the US?) still had theirs, so I guess it was 'further' away that was meant by 'overseas'.

It's difficult if one is of age, to fully concentrate and cut manually. I know how dangerous it can be with lapses in concentration, and fatigue, and I hope Eddie gets to take it easy now.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dragon PRO CUSTOM FIT DARTS - EXPERIENCE Gooddark 2 431 03-28-2020, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Gooddark
  are these dorwin darts or home made notjimpike 1 332 01-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Custom Darts Blanton 13 897 01-02-2020, 05:37 AM
Last Post: puddin
Music My custom Darts Idea DAVEISTHENAME 15 720 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Last Post: The Jester
Video Just a quick video chat about how the new Harrows Dave Chisnall darts were made Getagrip 9 1,194 10-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Can the greatest darts player of all time step away from the game that made him? Getagrip 22 6,875 04-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: BigCountry22
  Win a Set of Your Own Designed Custom Made Darts Custom Made Darts 26 1,660 01-17-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Chappers
  New Custom Made Darts Website Custom Made Darts 9 1,631 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Last Post: REBEL
  Custom Darts Bulk order Jonny180NZ 8 792 09-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: neil_kman
  Ted Hankey darts no longer made? Alex 23 5,065 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Last Post: NiteEyez