Target Darts.

Has it been 5 years already?
Around 5 years ago, we lost two of the best characters in darts, John Thomas 'Jocky' Wilson & Sid Waddell. How time has flew since both men sadly passed away and while the game has grown, not having either Jocky or Sid anymore still feels kind of weird.

How much did both of these legends inspire your interest in darts? 
And how should the PDC pay tribute, if they do, to Jocky Wilson & Sid Waddell?

Sid Waddell tribute from Kendo Fernandes's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1mOV2w1Ja4

Kirkcaldy Man from Worldwide's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3T0OEQP2Q

To me, Jocky was someone who had his demons, but he became one of the game's most important characters in the history of sport, never mind darts. When you read, listen or watch stories about him, you can't help but feel a warmth for Jocky. 1995, the last year we ever saw him, it's a shame as he had a few tricks left. If only we had seen the man one more time.

Sid, well, he had his haters, but he had a lot of fans despite a good few not understanding what he said. A true genius of the game, despite not picking up a dart. When you look more into Sid's life, you see just how he was and that may have changed a few opinions of him. The Indoor League really showed what he was like. To darts, he's probably the most important person in the history of the game, maybe more than Croft, Bristow, Lowe, Wilson, Taylor or Hearn. Tony Green can't hold a candle to him.

Once gone, never forgotten - twice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on one more note, congratulations to Anastasia & Tony Martin on the birth of their son.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Neither inspired my interest in darts as I was already playing before Jocky became a household name. Not sure when Sid first started commentating, but I never really paid much attention to commentary back then either to be honest.

That said, both are sad losses to the game - the PDC have already honoured Sid by naming the World Championship trophy after him, but it would be nice if they named one of the trophies after Jocky as well given that he was one of the founding members of the breakaway group. The least they can do is induct him in the Hall of Fame.
(02-04-2017, 12:12 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Neither inspired my interest in darts as I was already playing before Jocky became a household name. Not sure when Sid first started commentating, but I never really paid much attention to commentary back then either to be honest.

That said, both are sad losses to the game - the PDC have already honoured Sid by naming the World Championship trophy after him, but it would be nice if they named one of the trophies after Jocky as well given that he was one of the founding members of the breakaway group. The least they can do is induct him in the Hall of Fame.

You mean ..... Jockey isn't in the Hall of fame  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I'm outraged to discover this.

Ask anyone over 30 to name 5 dart players past and present and whether they follow darts or not Jockys name will come up.

He's a true 'character' of the sport and should be honoured for his impact to the modern game.

RIP both.

Cheers 
Tez
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
No he's not - here is the current list

Eric Bristow, John Lowe, Freddie Williams, Phil Jones, John Raby, Dave Lanning, Sid Waddell, Dennis Priestley, Dick Allix, Tommy Cox, Phil Taylor, Bruce Spendley, John Gwynne and John Part,
Shameful the John Thomas isn't in the Hall of Fame. Also like Mike's idea of one of the PDC tournament trophy's having Wilson's name attached in some way.
There used to be a Jocky Wilson Cup.
You would think this year Jocky would be entered into the PDC Hall Of Fame, 35 years after his first World Championship win.
(02-04-2017, 01:12 PM)mc1958 Wrote: No he's not - here is the current list

Eric Bristow, John Lowe, Freddie Williams, Phil Jones, John Raby, Dave Lanning, Sid Waddell, Dennis Priestley, joker Allix, Tommy Cox, Phil Taylor, Bruce Spendley, John Gwynne and John Part,

I have to admit I haven't heard of a few of those names, how/when are people inducted?

Cheers 
Tez

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
(02-04-2017, 02:46 PM)Tez Tickle Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 01:12 PM)mc1958 Wrote: No he's not - here is the current list

Eric Bristow, John Lowe, Freddie Williams, Phil Jones, John Raby, Dave Lanning, Sid Waddell, Dennis Priestley, joker Allix, Tommy Cox, Phil Taylor, Bruce Spendley, John Gwynne and John Part,

I have to admit I haven't heard of a few of those names, how/when are people inducted?

Cheers 
Tez

Inductee goes in at the PDC Awards night week after the Worlds.  Part was this years inductee.
Time certainly flies!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(02-04-2017, 02:04 PM)elevendarter Wrote: There used to be a Jocky Wilson Cup.

Wasn't that just a one off pairs game between England and Scotland with England winning in a whitewash?
(02-04-2017, 05:23 PM)mc1958 Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 02:04 PM)elevendarter Wrote: There used to be a Jocky Wilson Cup.

Wasn't that just a one off pairs game between England and Scotland with England winning in a whitewash?

Taylor/Wade v Anderson/Thornton one off yes.
Thought it was - they really should name one of the trophies after Jocky. You can near enough guarantee that when Taylor retires he will have one of the trophies named after him.
(02-04-2017, 05:38 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Thought it was - they really should name one of the trophies after Jocky.  You can near enough guarantee that when Taylor retires he will have one of the trophies named after him.

The Matchplay one :-)
(02-04-2017, 05:38 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Thought it was - they really should name one of the trophies after Jocky. You can near enough guarantee that when Taylor retires he will have one of the trophies named after him.

Just a trophy? Taylor deserves the Worlds to be named after him. "The William Hill Phil Taylor World Championship" would sound very good. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  it's a first in over 40 years. *Saber* 12 470 09-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  5 years!!! Yuillsy 16 1,071 02-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Mike HermThe