Shot Darts

What are you looking at?
Okay,  so here's what I've been thinking about lately.  When you watch the big boys....Taylor, Wade, Barney or whoever, they all throw different.  Different style, different pace, different rhythm. That's obvious.  Some of them seem to take aim,  like Taylor or Anderson.  Others look like they're just flipping their darts at the board.  Either way, they are all looking at something.......but what?   

That's the point of this thread.........what are you looking at when you throw?

When I step to the oche, I fix my eyes on the intended target and raise the dart into my line of sight.  Now, without taking my eyes off the target and never actually focusing on the dart, I align the two images, take a short back draw and extend my arm fully with a little forward flip of my wrist at the end.  All the while keeping my eyes where I want the dart to go.  This all happens in about a 3 count.....3 being the release point.  It seems to be working fairly well, so far but I would like to know what works for you.  Where do you focus?  Do you focus or is it instinct?  Maybe we can all glean a little something from this, who knows?  Fire away, guys!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Focus and instinct. The Focus comes first, on the section of the Board you want your Dart to land... then through practice and refinement, depending on how much you practice, instinct builds up to a critical mass of where one is throwing the Dart and it doesn't even feel like you've thrown any thing....

Always, with out fail..... keep looking at the section of board where you want the Dart to end up. This part is surely a non-discussion.
As Bobby George used to say "throw where you're looking and look where you're throwing"
I look at the target i want to hit, raise the dart parallel to the board until I can just seem my target over the top of the dart, then just throw,...thats about it if i dont get the dart lined up right i'll miss and if my release is not dead straight ill miss either side but thats about it
I look at the target and pay almost no attention to the dart in hand, though I can't say that is working for me lol
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
(02-03-2017, 07:35 AM)mc1958 Wrote: As Bobby George used to say "throw where you're looking and look where you're throwing"

Spot on here. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-03-2017, 07:35 AM)mc1958 Wrote: As Bobby George used to say "throw where you're looking and look where you're throwing"

I must be cross-eyed then  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm cross-dominant -- right- handed and left-eyed -- so if I look at my dart at all, I'm screwed.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

For me, it's pretty much what Reggae said. Even if I get a bounceout, I don't take my eyes off the target to follow the dart. That has only failed me once in untold numbers of them I've had over the years. I was playing in sandals and one of my darts flew back toward me and stuck in the top of my foot. After that, no more sandals when playing, but I still don't follow the dart.
I often wrestle with this, I can never make up my mind what is best for me, aiming the dart and looking at some point on the dart or my grip and lining it up with the target or just looking at the target and going by instinct.

I think I probably do better with just the instinct but as I have tried to improve I figured aiming something at the target was the best way to go to be able to repeat the same action over and over, so I think I kind of do a bit of both, I line the dart up first and then look at the target and not the dart or anything else and throw.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I should also add that my eyes are a nuisance as they can switch from looking with my left which is my good eye to looking with my right and I don't always realise it happening. I think its why just looking at the intended target may be best for me.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm very much an aim, line up, focus on the target, steady drawback and follow the arm right through to full extension kinda thrower. It all has to be measured, but relaxed at the same time for it to work. I never got the whole instinct or speeding up thing mastered, so I do what works for me. I try not to look at the dart, but focus entirely on the bit of the board I want the point to enter
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I'm looking at the exact spot where I want to hit. Even if I'm playing a modified version of Flight School's A1 where I aim at the small sector rather than the larger one, I still focus on an a specific point within that area. It seems to work in concentrating the focus.
Then I line the dart up to that point and throw