Shot Darts

Keith Deller "white powder" darts?
I was watching some 2001 World Darts highlights earlier, Deller vs Priestly and it looked like Deller had dipped his darts in powder or something, it was going all over the place!

Judging by his performance it worked of course but the barrels were white and if it were me playing him I would have been annoyed he was shedding powder everywhere.  I should imagine it's something he concocted for grip but what's the story, is that outlawed now or did it just not prove popular enough?

Darts:
   Bunting Gen 2 - 23g.
Stems:  Pro-Grip Short.
Flights:  Standard, variable designs.
The white powder was chalk - he used it to get better grip on his darts. Loads of players years ago used to chalk their darts, but Deller went overboard with it.
I still see some of the older generation leaving white marks all over the board (insert obvious Burnett joke here)

can be off putting but seems it was the norm back then...not for me
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It's similar to the Darter Rosin and Darter Chalk that players use nowadays, only now the stuff goes on your hands whereas back then we used to put the chalk directly on the barrels - chalk was in abundent supply back then given there were no electronic scorers so that's what we used when doing the scoring.
Back in the day a guy in the team I played for at that time used to acquire sticks of the marking chalk ( usually at away games ) He had a small cloth bag with a drawstring top broke the chalk & then crushed it with his heel he then used to take out the stem/flights & dunk the barrels in the bag  not recommended to stand near him throwing for the first couple of throws after he did that another team member a school teacher used to scrape up the chalk dust from the bottom run of the sliding blackboards frame.
Geez that's crazy! I know Deller used chalk but not that some other people did that too lol
I was never allowed to go watch my dad play as a kid because I have asthma and the smoking would demolish me in minutes, but chalk dust like that would have been just as bad...
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
I see him every summer in Blackpool and there is usually a chalk hand print on his pint glass Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Very interesting, thanks guys! I sort of knew it would be chalk but when I saw the whiteness of his barrels it brought to mind an anecdote from here (I think, though can't be sure) where someone used to know a guy who painted the roads and let him dip his barrels in the white paint for extra grip.

Right, am off to get some sticks of chalk and some sandpaper.

Darts:
   Bunting Gen 2 - 23g.
Stems:  Pro-Grip Short.
Flights:  Standard, variable designs.
Hi amigo

I asked the same thing a few years ago:

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...&pid=75114

Check it out bud
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keith deller questions JHawkins98 4 241 10-08-2020, 06:43 AM
Last Post: pkittle
  Interview with Keith Deller! Dartsweb 7 638 08-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Dartsweb
  Using Wax or Rosin Powder To Improve Grip.. Dan180 45 3,410 01-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
Star Rob Cross vs Keith Deller - Which was the bigger shock? Ryk 12 752 11-19-2018, 01:57 AM
Last Post: carlmuscleman67
  anyone with keith deller darts? Lutersek 11 1,640 01-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Last Post: OAKZER
  Keith Deller: underated??? NiteEyez 3 658 01-28-2017, 02:31 AM
Last Post: carlmuscleman67
  Ian White - Throw, Stance, Grip Gada 17 6,690 12-31-2016, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Nathan Mansfield