Target Darts.

Soft Tip Versus Steel Tip
Mainly a question here - other than the obvious differences with the soft tip, automated boards, are there any challenges switching back and forth from steel tip to soft tip?  The reason I ask is that in my area almost all the venues, except for a few have gone to the electronic soft tip boards.  I still focus on going to the places with the steel tip boards, but have invested in some soft tip darts figuring if I can't beat-em, join'em.  I also don't want to ruin my steel tip game if that's possible.

Also - what's with the '01 soft tip strategy of focusing on bulls versus treble 20's?

Thanks

jd
Favorite Darts (For Now):  Target Precision Ariane - 20g
Other Darts Owned:
- Accudart - (Don't Recall Model - Purchased in Late 80's) - 17g
- US Darts Fuzion Ringed Grip - 19g
- Unicorn World Champion van Barneveld, Silver Natural Phase 1 - 21g
- Unknown Brand Purchased a Few Years Ago - 22g
- Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 2, Natural - 24g
(02-02-2017, 07:11 PM)JDinMD Wrote: Mainly a question here - other than the obvious differences with the soft tip, automated boards, are there any challenges switching back and forth from steel tip to soft tip?  The reason I ask is that in my area almost all the venues, except for a few have gone to the electronic soft tip boards.  I still focus on going to the places with the steel tip boards, but have invested in some soft tip darts figuring if I can't beat-em, join'em.  I also don't want to ruin my steel tip game if that's possible.

Also - what's with the '01 soft tip strategy of focusing on bulls versus treble 20's?

Thanks

jd
Could be wrong here but I believe with soft tip the whole 25 and the bull is 50 points. So thats why people focus on it in soft tip.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
(02-02-2017, 07:15 PM)Alex Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 07:11 PM)JDinMD Wrote: Mainly a question here - other than the obvious differences with the soft tip, automated boards, are there any challenges switching back and forth from steel tip to soft tip?  The reason I ask is that in my area almost all the venues, except for a few have gone to the electronic soft tip boards.  I still focus on going to the places with the steel tip boards, but have invested in some soft tip darts figuring if I can't beat-em, join'em.  I also don't want to ruin my steel tip game if that's possible.

Thanks

jd
Could be wrong here but I believe with soft tip the whole 25 and the bull is 50 points. So thats why people focus on it in soft tip.

From what I have read elsewhere there are semi bull and full bull tournaments. I mean, I have heard that it could be chosen what version would be played. Of course, it is up to organisers of leagues and events and it seems like the full bull is the most often chosen version.

I play both soft tips and steel tips. I'd say that the ratio in czech rep is about 100:5 for soft tips. Probably even worse for steel tips. On the other hand, the players who really like the game often play the steel tips as well. And those who are the TOP in one, are the TOP also in the other one.

BTW, you can't find the bull shooter dartboards here in czech rep. We play soft tips on dartboards of the classic size (the sisal dartboard dimensions). We played a series of events on the bullshooters back in the 2000 and we considered bullshooters to be a sort of toy machines as it was much easier to hit trebles etc.

Anyway, once you want to play with others competitively, you usually have to play what is played the most in your area...

EDIT: There's only 25/50 version on our dartboards here. That's why I mentioned the comparison of our dartboards to the bullshooters (DARTSLIVE etc.).
Wouldn't the weight limit of soft tip darts add to the difficulty of playing both? I shoot about as well as I can with 19g Peter Manley unicorn darts but think I prefer throwing 24/25g darts. 15g barrels on a steel board would be tough.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The biggest concern for most players is switching darts between soft tip and steel tip.  Some darts only come in steel tip and some come only in soft tip.  There are now a lot more that are available in both; however, there is usually a big weight disparity between the two.  For example, a steel tip version of a dart may be 23g while the soft tip version is 18g. A lot of people I know, including myself, have just gone to a heavier weighted soft tip dart that we like, and then using steel conversion points when playing steel tip.  That way, the weight differential is minimal.  There is also the option of adding tungsten weight in the hollow portion of the soft tip darts to get the added weight.
I for 1 came up the ranks throwing soft tip first and now I am throwing more steel tip than ever ,,,,,Back in 1994 I was throwing soft tips that weighed just 13+ grams all up including stems and flights,,,, We play mostly Cricket here with a split bull 25/50,,,, the 01 games we play the bull is 50 for the single and double bull,,,Most of the soft tip players I know all play steel tip and would much rather practice on a steel tip board,,, I recently found a set of 17.5 gram soft tip barrels that when all up are 19 grams complete with tip/shaft/flight,,, when I switch the plastic tip out for a Target Titanium conversion tip ,, the tip the scales at barely 20 grams ,,,, they 1 of the vary few sets of darts that throw just as well with either tip which is hard to find,,, They are Unicorn Mantis Soft tip,,

https://www.unicorn-darts.com/range/dart...black.aspx

I have both a commercial soft tip board and a Winmau Blade 4 ,,,and I shoot way more on my steel tip board,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks

jd
A big catalyst to having the soft tip boards here in the US is that the bar collects a percentage of the revenue off of them. That's why you see them more abundantly. I don't personally feel affected by switching back and forth, most of the people I play with don't either. Every now and then someone uses it as the excuse when their game is off in one or the other.
Here in Germany soft tip is very popular. Its hard to find a pub where you can play with steel tips. In fact, here in my state i dont know of a single one...

So, soft tips has bring me into darts and i still like to play at the automats, but i prefer steel tips. Its simply cooler. I like the tok, tok, tok, when the darts strike (compared with the tinkling-dartsGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.)

The weight diffferences dont bother me...10 minutes and you have adjusted to this. Sometimes i play with my soft tips and conversations points on a steel tip board much better, dont know why, that can be very frustrating Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I have the same problem here in Texas. 99% soft tip boards in the bars for the revenue stream but I almost exclusively play steel tip at home. I had been using soft tips with conversion points previously. The titanium points from Target do not change the weight or balance point too much, at least for me.

My currently solution is to use the same dart for steel/soft, but in different weights. I am currently using the Adrian Lewis 80% in 24 gram steel and 20 gram soft tip. At least the barrel feels the same. There is an adjustment and when I first switch to the soft tips, the dart flies differently. After a bit of time on the practice board, though, things settle down.

Fortunately, I have found a couple of bars nearby that have steel tip boards so have been working hard to convince my friends we need to go there!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

In my opinion, you don't have to worry too much about the difference. I started out in steel tip, but since there aren't that many places to place and the increase of my friends playing soft tip I was kind of forced to switch. Not to mention the large number of soft tip machines popping up left and right in my area.

In terms of weight difference, I throw 32g steels and 22g softs. It does screw around with your ability to throw for the first couple minutes. I was also one of those people that complained about how different it felt, but problem was solved after hitting the practice board for a bit longer.

In regards to the weight difference, I have actually found that it has helped my throwing awkwardly enough. This is more in the sense of practicing different sections of the board. I throw a ton more bulls in soft tip, whereas in steel tip I throw a lot more trebles and doubles. Somewhere along the line, I have started to be able to throw 25s/bulls more consistently in steel and have been getting better at cricket in soft.

*Note:language may not make sense due to my brain getting fried from work meetings.
Double 15s are my expertise... all you have to do is miss and let me throw. 

Soft-tip --> Kami Darts Series No.33 (modified to 22g)
Steel-tip --> Unicorn Phase 5 (26g) / Phase 5 replica (modified to 32g)

Ontario, Canada
Cheers~!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  soft vs steel Eso Rimmer 24 1,152 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Darts Throwing comparing - Japanese Soft style throwing vs Steel Style throwing jayouloun 41 11,792 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  How to manage weight difference between steel and soft darts? Che-Min Tsai 11 808 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: BDG
  Throwing steel and soft *Saber* 3 367 04-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Last Post: MariusOveras
  Steel ot soft tip darts...? Michael Hobson 22 925 02-24-2019, 12:12 AM
Last Post: BDG
  Soft or Steel Kmanchizh 11 615 01-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Soft tip and steel Blanton 4 565 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Blanton
  Practice both steel and soft tip EdwardO 6 794 01-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Last Post: ranger86
  Soft tip Darts or Steel tip darts - Poll kamikersie 15 4,497 07-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Brian Watts
  Online Darts, Steel or Soft? Jhat 2 636 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Jhat