Shot Darts

How do you beat MVG?
'Mighty Mike' may be the immovable object and the irresistible force, but three players think they know how to beat him...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

How on earth do you beat reigning world champion and world No 1 Michael van Gerwen?

Phil Taylor, Raymond van Barneveld and James Wade think they know the answer after beating the brilliant Dutchman in TV tournaments over the last 14 months.

The ruthless Van Gerwen showed his rivals little mercy last year, winning a sensational 25 tournaments in a remarkable season.

Those included the seven major televised titles at the Masters, UK Open, World Matchplay, World Grand Prix, World Series of Darts Finals, European Championship and the Grand Slam of Darts, while he was also crowned Premier League champion for the second time.

He's started 2017 in irresistible fashion too after claiming his second World Championship title at Alexandra Palace while last weekend he won a third successive Masters title.

Van Gerwen does suffer defeats now and again though, with Van Barneveld knocking him out of the 2015 World Championship in a last 16 thriller, 4-3.

Taylor dispatched the world No 1 twice in the space of a weekend when he recorded an 11-5 victory in the final after his 10-4 group-stage win in the inaugural Champions League of Darts.

And 'The Green Machine' suffered a surprise 7-4 defeat to Wade on the opening night of last year's Premier League.

So how did they do it? We've asked them what the secret is to upsetting the Dutchman.

Phil Taylor says...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
There's no secret. You have to outscore him and hit your doubles. There's two games where he's beaten me and I've missed finishes. It's a killer, but he always seems to hit the right shot at the right time, bless him.

He's a good player. You have to score heavy and you have to hit your finishes - that's all you can do against him. It's like playing Chelsea at the minute, you've got to go out there and perform. I can't say anything more about him, although he's still got a long way to go to beat all my records.

James Wade says...
Do what 99 per cent of them don't do, don't make it a big thing. People used to do it against Phil and now they've started to do it against Michael, and as soon as they start doing that he's beaten them before they've played him.

I don't feel that way when I play him because I know I have to play well. It's quite an enjoyable game when you do play him.

You know it's going to be a good game and you know you have got to play exceptionally well. I raise my game against the big players because you have to play well. I know how good I am and I don't achieve it most of the time, which is very, very annoying and frustrating.

Raymond van Barneveld says...
Use four or five darts, I don't know. Even when I played Michael with a 109 average, 68 per cent on the doubles, and I was only winning two sets [at the World Championship]. It's simply unreal what is happening at the moment.

It's all about preparation, but if you play him over four to seven sets then it's harder to beat him. You can have good averages and a good percentage on the doubles, but at the end of the day it's the result that counts.
I think MvG is a beast and as Barney said its more difficult to wi him in a big format. But also i agree with Wade, some times people lose from Mvg cause they are afraid to beat him
I think James is absolutly right with
Quote:Do what 99 per cent of them don't do, don't make it a big thing. People used to do it against Phil and now they've started to do it against Michael, and as soon as they start doing that he's beaten them before they've played him.
I think that is what let Chizzy always play so weak against MvG. He thinks to much. Same with Peter Wright and Finals. They start thinking about it and from that point of they lose.

It sounds pretty easy but is really hard to do. At the moment i only see Phil and Gary to do it, because they do not care, they simply play.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

chop his hands off
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

With a baseball bat.

If you don't average 167 ,you can be beat .I haven't seen MVG average that in any of his games .
180-1(33)

Hit the bloody check-outs lads, MvG will give chances away but he rarely give 'em another chance.
(02-02-2017, 03:41 PM)Troll Wrote: If you don't average 167 ,you can be beat .I haven't seen MVG average that in any of his games .

Even if you do, or even do better, you can be beaten - in a decider.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

--
In a perfect first to 2 legs the result will be 170.25 vs. 174.43. But the winner is the guy with the lower average.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

It must be confidence destroying when you see him miss 2 darts at double and then the last one goes in.

Taylor in his prime used to do this all the time and MVG appears to have a knack of doing the same.

He very rarely misses 3 at double.
The only player who can outscore MVG is Gary Anderson but right now MVG is by far the more consistent of the two.

If both players played at their very best then for me it would be Gary Anderson who would come out on top, unfortunately for everyone else MVG rarely has a bad game. The only other players who could beat MVG are Barney and possibly Taylor but they would need to play out of their skin with MVG not playing at his best.
(02-02-2017, 03:45 PM)JoelH Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 03:41 PM)Troll Wrote: If you don't average 167 ,you can be beat .I haven't seen MVG average that in any of his games .

Even if you do, or even do better, you can be beaten - in a decider.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

--
In a perfect first to 2 legs the result will be 170.25 vs. 174.43. But the winner is the guy with the lower average.
180-1(33)

(02-02-2017, 02:21 PM)Getagrip Wrote: chop his hands off

Yeh, I'm with you Darren but some would say that would be too drastic and barbaric Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. and they may well be right  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ...so instead taking a more civilised approach, I would simply poke him in each eye... (a few times). Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(02-02-2017, 03:45 PM)ReggaeDarts Wrote: Hit the bloody check-outs lads, MvG will give chances away but he rarely give 'em another chance.

This ^^^ plus what Wadey said.

Players feel they have to take every chance to beat him and this extra pressure seems to get to them.  Same as Taylor in his prime.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)