Darts Buddy

Lighting Issues
So ive buggered up my throwing area Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  My board is in my utility tucked behing the door so its out of sight and she who must be obeyed does not complain, there were two ceiling lights, the inset kind of rotatable globe things with massive bulbs in, the one by the board worked but didnt swivel towards the board so i pulled it out of its seating and turned the whole unit at the board and gently pushed it part way back into the ceiling, the unit at the other end of the utility where i throw from has been broken since we moved it, some sort of connection issues in the unit

well the misses has been complaining about the lack of light in there and hating the fittings yada yada yada so i bought some downlight spot converters, they have a plate that covers the massive hole created by the previous fitting, and a bulb holder in the middle that fits a standard gu10 spot light

wiring took a while but they went in fine, fitment isnt great but i didnt expect alot for the price i paid

but the issue now is the light that shines straight down from the unit near the board whilst it illuminates the board okay ish, is bloody blinding me from the oche!!!  

Not to sure what I can do to sort it now :S
Could you make some sort of small shield / barrier or something? I'm just thinking back to when playing at one of my mate's. He just had a bulb hanging from the roof of the garage so i took some tin foil and taped and shaped it so that it stopped the light shining towards the thrower but allowed it to light the board. By no means ideal, but a quick fix that worked well
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-31-2017, 11:22 AM)hamo Wrote: Could you make some sort of small shield / barrier or something? I'm just thinking back to when playing at one of my mate's. He just had a bulb hanging from the roof of the garage so i took some tin foil and taped and shaped it so that it stopped the light shining towards the thrower but allowed it to light the board. By no means ideal, but a quick fix that worked well

im thinking along those lines but she has to agree it also so its "inkeeping with the decor" i have no idea what this "decor" is she speaks of though
Maybe an all black small mudguard of some sort? Attach with some zip ties and it should look decent enough. Something like this: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
thats a good shout, will have to look it over tonight and see how attachble stuff is to it :S
You should think about upgrading to one that is not as annoying, doesn't dominate the room and make its presence so intense. Oh wait, you were meaning you want to do something about the light.

Why not put up a small track light bar and wire it to the where the original fixture is located and use 2 spotlight canisters in it that are directed toward the board. I have a long track light bar secured to my ceiling in the man cave with canisters with 3 LED bulbs facing each of the 2 boards I have mounted on the wall. This gives me very good lighting and no glare coming back to me at the oche.
(01-31-2017, 11:53 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: You should think about upgrading to one that is not as annoying, doesn't dominate the room and make its presence so intense. Oh wait, you were meaning you want to do something about the light.

Why not put up a small track light bar and wire it to the where the original fixture is located and use 2 spotlight canisters in it that are directed toward the board. I have a long track light bar secured to my ceiling in the man cave with canisters with 3 LED bulbs facing each of the 2 boards I have mounted on the wall. This gives me very good lighting and no glare coming back to me at the oche.

haha braver man than I!

I thought of that but its an old cottage and the ceiling's are not high enough to allow anything hanging down, else it would of the easiest solution, light the washing machine for her and the dartboard for me
(01-31-2017, 12:01 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 11:53 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: You should think about upgrading to one that is not as annoying, doesn't dominate the room and make its presence so intense.    Oh wait, you were meaning you want to do something about the light.

Why not put up a small track light bar and wire it to the where the original fixture is located and use 2 spotlight canisters in it that are directed toward the board.    I have a long track light bar secured to my ceiling in the man cave with canisters with 3 LED bulbs facing each of the 2 boards I have mounted on the wall.   This gives me very good lighting and no glare coming back to me at the oche.

haha braver man than I!

I thought of that but its an old cottage and the ceiling's are not high enough to allow anything hanging down, else it would of the easiest solution, light the washing machine for her and the dartboard for me

The ceilings in my man cave are only 7 ft. 3 in. off the floor and it works out fine for me.   I even have a friend that came by to toss darts that is 6 ft. 4 in tall and he has no clearance issues-----------------once he takes off his hats, or they will hit the light housing.

My house is an older home with low ceiling height on the ground floor, but my upstairs living area has 10.5 ft. ceilings.   I wish they would have split it a bit more evenly, but I do love my high ceilings in my living area upstairs.
7ft 3"? your in heaven there, my ceilings in the utility are 6ft 5" the house was last rebuilt in 1780 or something obsurd, when people were shorter apparently
(01-31-2017, 02:36 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: 7ft 3"? your in heaven there, my ceilings in the utility are 6ft 5" the house was last rebuilt in 1780 or something obsurd, when people were shorter apparently

WOW, that's really low, so now I can appreciate your dilemma.     You must feel like Shrek living in that place.    And I though my first house was old when I was able to buy my first one.   It was an old shotgun style house built in the mid 1800's but did have 12 ft. ceilings and the material used was old barge boards from barges disassembled when they got to the port of New Orleans after traveling downriver with cargo and sold to people since it would cost too much to send the barges back upriver against the current.

They were called "Shotguns" because it was claimed you could open the front and back doors and fire a shotgun through them without hitting walls.   They were constructed like a typical house trailer is now with all the rooms in a row with a footprint being about 15 ft. wide by 50-75 ft. or so long, depending on the number of rooms.   Most contained between 4-6 rooms each.

Man, if your house could talk, think of all the stories it could tell.
I love the story about old barges and stuff really interesting!

Not quite as interesting but mine has stood on these foundations since 1500 being the first mention of it being the village carpenters house and of the doomsday book apparently, although I havent looked that hard into it just yet

im only 5ft 8" so dont quite feel like shrek but my hair grazes a few door frames, and you certainly cant jump anywhere in this house, i learnt that out the hard/painfull way
(01-31-2017, 03:48 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: I love the story about old barges and stuff really interesting!

Not quite as interesting but mine has stood on these foundations since 1500 being the first mention of it being the village carpenters house and of the doomsday book apparently, although I havent looked that hard into it just yet

im only 5ft 8" so dont quite feel like shrek but my hair grazes a few door frames, and you certainly cant jump anywhere in this house, i learnt that out the hard/painfull way

Wow, your house was built approximately 200 years before my city was even founded.   New Orleans was founded in 1718 and by then, your house was very old.   This is what I love about countries on the other side of the big pond with history going back thousands of years.
never even thought about it like that haha, i only bought it because my other half liked it, i mean i do like it but it makes life so hard, no wall is straight, low ceilings, weird wiring routing etc, simplest of DIY becomes a major project,

but still, anything for a "quiet" life
This is a bit old school, but do you folks have the simple old fashioned ceramic single bulb socket fixtures? And can that (plus possibly simple round of painted wood or metal (functioning as those decorative medallions do) that would cover the mechanics work? Get a piece of flexible bender board or wiggle board, glue it to the medallion or use L-brackets small to fasten it and paint or stain it). Bend it in a half circle with the curved circle open to the board. Insert an led light in whatever wattage your lamp fixture will handle.

Don't mind me, I've already taken apart 3 old style 80s lamp fixtures and made 4 more contemporary lights with the parts. Friends are forever scratching their heads at some of my antics.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Love the history on your home - it lends character and depth.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with Dartscorner? Teufel 53 2,483 06-15-2021, 08:55 PM
Last Post: imposs1916
  How can I read old DDN issues? TheCrane180 2 157 04-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: TheCrane180
  Lighting Chads2478 2 269 11-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Last Post: justin-tutboard
  LED Light Surround Vision Issues pugtato 8 410 10-20-2020, 09:10 PM
Last Post: BullShot
  unicorn solar flare lighting squerly 3 278 07-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Scolia - scoring, lighting and analytics system mc1958 59 7,861 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Last Post: codo180
  Winmau Blade 5 Issues dave115 4 571 09-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Solar flare lighting Chris Smith 3 393 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  Grip issues tonywalsh00 10 738 03-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Dan180
  Webcam Issues for WDA Mighty apu 10 952 01-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Mighty apu