Harrows Darts.

Critique my throw
Afternoon all,

I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm doing wrong, or at least I think I do.  I think my stroke is too wristy and I don't follow through enough.

What I'm looking for is confirmation of what I'm thinking (or tell me I'm wrong), and then suggestions of how to do it better.

Throw vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkWVVzn9w0

Dart flight vid:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVUe5nF-V34 

Thanks, and don't hold back!
Unicorn Barney Phase 1 23g darts
Harrows Gripper tweenie shafts
Newcastle United standard flights (HTL!)
Hi Freedom,

Thanks for the video and especially in 'slo-mo,' upon reviewing your throwing style and action I would like to see you bring your forearm up to 90 deg before your pause to aim and throw have a look at Phil Taylor's action side-on to get where I'm coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuWcZNXdHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DfsIjpxpc

If it feels comfortable give it a fair go to see if you get more consistency. Accuracy is the product of extensive practice and fundamentally good eye-hand coordination. Whereas consistency is being able to repeat that accuracy regularly and good grouping is the resultant.  

As an exercise (when your technique and *form is good)... Why not spend time say aiming at the Bull area maybe set yourself a challenge to try to and get 10 consecutive points i.e hit say a 25 or bulls eye in a series of throws award yourself 1pt for a 25 and 2 pts for a bulls eye.

John Lowe wrote that he did nothing else for 6 months but throw at the bull a bit extreme Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but as we know he became an extremely good player.

*This refers to your physical approach, i.e stance, grip and target focus and smoothness of throwing action feels correct. The term 'form' I'm referring too in dart throwing preparation maybe compared to say a golfer who ensures his feet, shoulders, head position, club grip, swing and follow through is good and he gets the sense of correctness in his stroke by hitting the ball straight, etc. In my case I know pretty much as soon as  the dart has left my hand whether its on target or not I get a sense of sort of a 'sweet spot' which results in a good flight in the air.

I have to also say that apart from that observation your stance and rigidity, plus follow through looks very good indeed but as I say to all you need to be as relaxed as possible to obtain a smooth action.

Best regards,

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Very nicely explained Dorian, great insights!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-30-2017, 12:10 AM)Dorian Wrote: Hi Freedom,

Thanks for the video and especially in 'slo-mo,' upon reviewing your throwing style and action I would like to see you bring your forearm up to 90 deg before your pause to aim and throw have a look at Phil Taylor's action side-on to get where I'm coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuWcZNXdHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DfsIjpxpc

If it feels comfortable give it a fair go to see if you get more consistency. Accuracy is the product of extensive practice and fundamentally good eye-hand coordination. Whereas consistency is being able to repeat that accuracy regularly and good grouping is the resultant.  

As an exercise (when your technique and *form is good)... Why not spend time say aiming at the Bull area maybe set yourself a challenge to try to and get 10 consecutive points i.e hit say a 25 or bulls eye in a series of throws award yourself 1pt for a 25 and 2 pts for a bulls eye.

John Lowe wrote that he did nothing else for 6 months but throw at the bull a bit extreme Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but as we know he became an extremely good player.

*This refers to your physical approach, i.e stance, grip and target focus and smoothness of throwing action feels correct. The term 'form' I'm referring too in dart throwing preparation maybe compared to say a golfer who ensures his feet, shoulders, head position, club grip, swing and follow through is good and he gets the sense of correctness in his stroke by hitting the ball straight, etc. In my case I know pretty much as soon as  the dart has left my hand whether its on target or not I get a sense of sort of a 'sweet spot' which results in a good flight in the air.

I have to also say that apart from that observation your stance and rigidity, plus follow through looks very good indeed but as I say to all you need to be as relaxed as possible to obtain a smooth action.

Best regards,

Dorian

Thanks for the help!  I've tried to utilize it the past few days and as you can imagine, it's quite uncomfortable.  I feel crowded and like there's no backswing, but when I throw it well, it really goes well - almost like it takes no effort.  I also paid more attention to the pros when watching them and noticed that the vast majority of them do as you suggested above.

I'll keep at it and in time, I'm sure it will become more natural.

Thanks again.
Unicorn Barney Phase 1 23g darts
Harrows Gripper tweenie shafts
Newcastle United standard flights (HTL!)
That video of Taylor schooling the young lad is pretty cool and I think it's always good to hear it from a pro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner here, please critique my throw Phopkins1988 9 684 11-15-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: KLFToronto
  Critique on my throw? james_fenton 7 440 12-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Last Post: james_fenton
  Critique my throw Xkyle813x 4 747 07-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Critique My Throw pugtato 5 858 03-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Humdinger
  Critique my throw Cobalt765 14 1,997 02-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Tom12481
Smile Critique my throw liam_winnard 13 1,438 01-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: liam_winnard
  critique my slow motion dart shot..... kenstogie 2 557 01-03-2017, 12:18 AM