Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Heat shrink tube for additional grip (thinkering again...)
Hello fellow nuts,

I like the shape and balance of these darts very much but missed a tiny bit of additional grip.
They need a bit too long to warm up to become as grippy as I like.
I considered customization but didn’t want to spend money for it and the area towards the thread is already at the thinner end for me, getting them even thinner was not a real option too.

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/attachment.php?aid=6805

Yesterday afternoon I was asked to visit the DIY store to buy some electrical accessories and while searching for the actual stuff I had on my list (I assume you guys know how difficult it is to spot what you are actually looking for Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) my eyes stopped at heat shrink tubes of different diameter and one meter length.

I used to work with this material decades ago but all of a sudden I had an idea Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.:  This material has a rubber-like surface, is easy to process and cheap as chips Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..  

Eventually they ended up in my shopping basket together with the other stuff I had on my list.

At home I cutted three stripes of equal length (12 mm) with household scissors and shrinked them carefully (a few seconds) with a standard pocket lighter. Done…

The cost for one meter is less than 2 Euro and leaves me approx 80 pieces as spares. I don’t know how long they last but they are easily mounted and 80 pieces is quite a lot. Very satisfied so far Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..

Only question (not that it matters to me but out of curiosity Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ): Is this kind of "special coating" allowed or is it against the rules?

Cheers...
This is an awesome DIY idea! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Have a +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Pretty cool idea! Good thinking!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Really nice idea +1
I don't know if its allowed but i cannot find a reason that its not
That is really thinking outside the box !, +1 for innovation
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I have a nickel allergy. To avoid touching the bare metal of my darts, heat shrink is one thing I tried. Another was Plasti-Dip. In both cases, tight groupings eventually ripped up the coating. But if you don't mind re-doing, it'll work.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Thanks all for your comments :-)

Brenthahn, this is a valid point. It won't work for all kind of barrel shapes the same way. I assume straight barrels will clash more often but for this particular shape it shouldn't be the case as the area where the tube sits is rather short and if one dart hits another than typically at the front or at at the widest part.

Greetings to all :-)
Great idea, +1 for that!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album