Harrows Darts.

Copper tungsten questions
So...starting to go nutz again, and thinking "hey, I have neither custom darts, nor any copper tungstens...".

How much copper do you need to get that grippy feel that I've read about? Would you still get it with a 95% tungsten alloy or would 80% be better for a smooth dart?
And how grippy is it really? Is a smooth, straight dart a good idea? Or would it be better with something more like Hankeys?
Copper tungsten is 80, 90 % ,smooth straight is great idea ,but I like Hankey better .Hankey nose in copper darts looks like this
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Really nice darts troll.

From my small experience from copper tungsten darts. I think you have to go with a straight without coating and without other grip barrel.
I recently bought a set from Dc with a black coating . You loose all the copper feeling

In the other hand i bought these datadart cts about a year ago.
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=21613

The feel is perfect and the darts fly perfect too.
I think Rodney could give you an opinion too.
copper and tungsten don't strictly mix together: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%E2%80%93tungsten
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I find mine to be the 2nd grippiest darts I have after the Harrows Atomics, but only if my fingers are moist. Mine aren't totally smooth, but they're smooth enough to do the trick.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's pretty cool being a composite rather than an alloy.

I'm thinking about copying a set of 95% darts, but without the grooves and perhaps 85-90% tungsten...24g would be good I think...
Not sure you're going to find a custom maker who can get copper tungsten billets any denser than 80%. I have a couple of old sets that are definitely denser, but they're probably one-offs. And I have a set of old Trulon bombs that have to be at least 85%. all of these, btw, have a few rings but there's still plenty of smooth surface to give you the feel.

McCoy CPU's are supposedly 90% (not sure I believe it). They're no longer made, but Big River still has a few in stock. You might be able to buy a set of ringed 26g and have them modded, but I'm not sure how much dart you'd have left.

https://www.edarts.net/st_darts/barrels_steel.shtml. (scroll all the way down).
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Well I got a lead on some 95% copper tungsten...or so I thought. It turns out that it is actually W 95%, Ni 3% & Cu 2%.
So with that low copper content I suspect that it may turn out just as normal 95% WNi, or what do you guys think?
I don't reckon it'd feel very copper-y.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

For me, it is not about the grip of the copper tungsten material, it is about the warm feeling when holding them.  Here in Korea, there are a lot of very cold venues in winter and it sucks picking up your darts and they feel ice cold.  I just cannot throw them well.  When I pick up my copper tungsten darts, as the material has high thermal conductivity, they warm up quickly and really feel good in my hand. Even in warm weather, they just feel really good. For some reason, there are not a lot of copper tungsten choices out there, so I bought a set of the 26g smooth data dart CT and shipped them off for some grip customization. Can't wait to get them back and try them out.
One thought just occurred... 100% tungsten would be too brittle, which is why you use an alloy of tungsten and nickel. Copper and tungsten don't mix...so if the dart is made of tungsten and copper only then you would get the same brittleness? So copper tungsten dart is actually composite of a tungsten-nickel alloy and copper? That could explain why copper tungsten darts are mostly 80% ? If you up the tungsten content it would probably have to be at the expense of copper if you need about 5% nickel to make a viable alloy with the tungsten. Another seller has 90%W , 7%Ni & 3%Cu...
(02-24-2017, 03:28 AM)ROKGoose Wrote: For me, it is not about the grip of the copper tungsten material, it is about the warm feeling when holding them.  Here in Korea, there are a lot of very cold venues in winter and it sucks picking up your darts and they feel ice cold.  I just cannot throw them well.  When I pick up my copper tungsten darts, as the material has high thermal conductivity, they warm up quickly and really feel good in my hand. Even in warm weather, they just feel really good. For some reason, there are not a lot of copper tungsten choices out there, so I bought a set of the 26g smooth data dart CT and shipped them off for some grip customization. Can't wait to get them back and try them out.

just get a small pouch and a hand warmer gel packet, jsut before you leave for darts click the handwarmer and they will be nice and toasty by the time it comes to play
Just got two sets of coppers today, can't wait to give them a go Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smooth copper tungsten barrel theblindPew 12 1,827 01-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Last Post: theblindPew