Unicorn

Hows your Blade 5
Now that the Blade 5 has been out for a bit, and some of you picked one up, what's your overall thoughts?

Reason I ask is I'm board shopping now, looking at reviews online, and majority top pick is Blade 4 (before the 5 arrival)
and I was comparing the Blade 4 vs Unicorn HD and read mixed feedback (mostly on the unicorns) and so am leaning towards
the Blade 5 Dual Core which is available near me, where as Unicorn I would have to order online and alot more pricey (I'm in Canada)
with shipping etc. Few facebook pages I'm on also they seem to favor the Blade over Unicorn....
Most negative feedback was the Unicorn wears out alot faster, and the Blade will last longer.

How is your Blade 5 holding up? Same or better than Blade 4? Thanks in advance....
My B5DC is only used for 2 weeks now but I am very sure it will last better than my B4.
Currently using:  Unicorn Gripper 23G
Best Dart Leg 2018:  14 Darts
180s goal 2018:  41 / 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-26-2017, 07:26 PM)@raiderfan_NFL Wrote: Now that the Blade 5 has been out for a bit, and some of you picked one up, what's your overall thoughts?

Reason I ask is I'm board shopping now, looking at reviews online, and majority top pick is Blade 4 (before the 5 arrival)
and I was comparing the Blade 4 vs Unicorn HD and read mixed feedback (mostly on the unicorns) and so am leaning towards
the Blade 5 Dual Core which is available near me, where as Unicorn I would have to order online and alot more pricey (I'm in Canada)
with shipping etc. Few facebook pages I'm on also they seem to favor the Blade over Unicorn....
Most negative feedback was the Unicorn wears out alot faster, and the Blade will last longer.

How is your Blade 5 holding up? Same or better than Blade 4? Thanks in advance....

better than blade 4
rod dog Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Mine is fine, still too early to tell really. Had it a month so ive turned it twice, neither times was needed really, just trying to get the longest lifespan out if it.

Having less bounce outs. But what i will say is that this board is louder then my B4, maybe its the rota lock, maybe its abit harder, all i know is its louder.
Have to agree with JDorks, I think it's the rota lock. I used to use coasters to stabalise the board.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-26-2017, 07:52 PM)JDorks Wrote: Mine is fine, still too early to tell really. Had it a month so ive turned it twice, neither times was needed really, just trying to get the longest lifespan out if it.

Having less bounce outs. But what i will say is that this board is louder then my B4, maybe its the rota lock, maybe its abit harder, all i know is its louder.

the bulls are solid the whole spider is alot better
rod dog Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
awesome! thanks guys, will be picking up one soon!
How hard is the normal 5 compared to the dc version?

I now have a bulls adv. 3 and this I like it but want a board that is just a bit softer, but not so soft the whole dart is penetrating the board.

And How is the Sound level with the normal 5 ?
180 '14 - 21  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
180 '15 - 14 
180 '16 - 5  
180 '17 - 11
Excellent quality and almost zero bounce outs but just too soft for me so the G2 is back on the wall now.
This means I have an unopened Blade 5 and one which I have only used for about a month.
Couldnt resist at the price thought but should have just saved the money and got a G3 in the first place.
My G2 still looks almost new but the G3 is calling...................
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(01-30-2017, 10:40 AM)Chr1st2aan Wrote: How hard is the normal 5 compared to the dc version?

I now have a bulls adv. 3 and this I like it but want a board that is just a bit softer, but not so soft the whole dart is penetrating the board.

And How is the Sound level with the normal 5 ?

I can only compare my normal Blade 4 against my Blade 5DC, but the 5DC does make more sound I would say. The upper layer is quite soft where the 2nd layer is harder. My guess is that the normal Blade5 softness is just between these two.

I think its just personal preference,  I throw quite hard so my opinion is based on that really,  so I will prepare for the torrent of abuse but here goes,

1- Bulls (any model ) , worse than garbage, too hard, sounds like your throwing at a breezeblock !
2- Blade 4 or 5,  too soft for me (barrels bury right in)  and chew up way too easy with my Sons knurled / ringed points.
3- Unicorn, great all round for both of us, doesn't seem to chew easy and I don't get any bounce out ?! or buried barrels,
4- Target Pro, This lasted / worn the best for us, feel, sound and durability just about pipped the Unicorn for us but we agreed the Unicorn or the Target would be fine (for us).

Again, my opinion, but wanted to share it with the Nutz.
Match DartsUnicorn Gary Anderson Phase 4, 25g

"Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

So I received my brand new blade 5 last night, only my second board overall and my first 'proper' dartboard as its replacing what I now know to be a very cheap and nasty 'Winmau Home Dart Set' complete with cabinet etc

Here's where my 'noobiness' (if that's a word ?) with home darts set ups is about to shine.

My brain told me to 'buy new board, take old board out of cabinet, replace with new board - happy days!'

Didnt for one second occur to me the dimensions of the new board means it dosent fit into the cabinet already drilled into wall!

So now have a new board I can't play until I get a new cabinet (maybe I should be getting a surround?) and I'm gonna have to drill more holes in the wall, feel free to have a giggle at my naivety/stupidity ?
(02-28-2017, 06:03 PM)MickC82 Wrote: So I received my brand new blade 5 last night, only my second board overall and my first 'proper' dartboard as its replacing what I now know to be a very cheap and nasty 'Winmau Home Dart Set' complete with cabinet etc

Here's where my 'noobiness' (if that's a word ?) with home darts set ups is about to shine.

My brain told me to 'buy new board, take old board out of cabinet, replace with new board - happy days!'

Didnt for one second occur to me the dimensions of the new board means it dosent fit into the cabinet already drilled into wall!

So now have a new board I can't play until I get a new cabinet (maybe I should be getting a surround?) and I'm gonna have to drill more holes in the wall, feel free to have a giggle at my naivety/stupidity ?

Just my opinion, but I have 1 board with a cabinet mount and 1 board on the wall with a framed carpet surround.  I prefer the open one.  No worries on damaging the wall with the carpet surround either...backed the frame on it with foam so quiet as well.  Board is mounted on surround with rotafix lock, surround is mounted on the wall with French cleats.  Very secure and stabile mounting due to French cleat system - easy to fabricate as well, and completely hidden. I use the carpet surround pretty much exclusively.
(02-28-2017, 06:18 PM)ICat Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 06:03 PM)MickC82 Wrote: So I received my brand new blade 5 last night, only my second board overall and my first 'proper' dartboard as its replacing what I now know to be a very cheap and nasty 'Winmau Home Dart Set' complete with cabinet etc

Just my opinion, but I have 1 board with a cabinet mount and 1 board on the wall with a framed carpet surround.  I prefer the open one.  No worries on damaging the wall with the carpet surround either...backed the frame on it with foam so quiet as well.  Board is mounted on surround with rotafix lock, surround is mounted on the wall with French cleats.  Very secure and stabile mounting due to French cleat system - easy to fabricate as well, and completely hidden. I use the carpet surround pretty much exclusively.

Thanks, again carpet surround wouldn't have occurred to me, there are clearly more options to look at 
than I thought, a trip to BnQ maybe be on the menu.
If you are looking for a cheap surround RD sell NPQ (near perfect quality ) surrounds for less than £20 but you cannot choose a colour
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blade 5 vs. Blade 5 dual core MrStair 18 1,074 10-29-2020, 09:41 PM
Last Post: blink180
  Gladiator 3 vs blade 5/blade 5 dc Jared Thomas Webster 19 9,084 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Chappers