Harrows Darts.

Short vs Long Points
I have been struggling with my darts recently. Nothing feels right and I've tried all sorts of combinations to just get everything comfortable from grip to the release.

I think my main problem is going to be balance/point length.... I hold the dart right at the front of the nose. I've noticed that when I pick up a pen like my dart, I hold it right at the front and the balance feels great! I'm starting to think I will need standard to short points despite liking the extra room long points can provide.... I mean what's the point (no pun intended) of having the extra space if you can't hit the target anyways lol

Any other front grippers notice this with themselves? Maybe I just need slightly front weight darts too... Maybe I just like beating myself up lol
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
I'd keep the longer points, they would move the balance further forward than a short point.. albeit only a very very slight amount.

I grip at the front too and have found that 50mm darts do not work for me any where near as good as darts under 44mm long.  The shorter dart flies much straighter and I seem to be able to follow through better with them too.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hmm, interesting. I have noticed that with full length darts. I tend to prefer around 48mm.
From Ontario, Canada
(01-25-2017, 06:40 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: Hmm, interesting. I have noticed that with full length darts. I tend to prefer around 48mm.

If I may ask, what you throwing atm?
I am not a front gripper, but for me, very long points really make the dart wobble a lot. So I stay clear of anything beyond 30-32 mm.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Mark McGeeney darts, though I'm open to changes lol
From Ontario, Canada
(01-25-2017, 06:51 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: Mark McGeeney darts, though I'm open to changes lol

Could try a Barney Phase 5 type barrel.  Could be your release, most likely is.  Regardless we should always try and find a dart for our grip/release rather than change it.
I have a prototype with that shape, 25g. I'll give em a go tonight for just a bit.
From Ontario, Canada
(01-25-2017, 07:00 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: I have a prototype with that shape, 25g. I'll give em a go tonight for just a bit.

Keep us posted with how they go. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Buy a few sets of 66mm and experiment. If you fancy cutting them down it mustn't be too difficult, except ensuring they're even lol.

I thought I loved long points, but I've ended up going full circle and the length of voks tornado point being perfect really.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
I have a couple sets of those 66mm ones and a couple sets of snakebites 50mm ones coming too. I'll try and keep the progress posted though
From Ontario, Canada
As a front gripper I like longer points. Unicorn standard points (35mm I think) are fine and I like 38mm points too. I find the standard target ones too short.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

I'm a front gripper who throws 50+mm, straight barrel, even weighted barrels.

I've noticed that I'm sensitive to point length, and have actually tried a whole whack of points in my Carrera C13s to figure out what is going on. Generally speaking, a "long" point (e.g. 41mm, giving me 32mm out the barrel) always makes me feel like there is too much "at the front end" of the barrel and my accuracy suffers.

On the other hand, a "standard" point (e.g. 32mm, giving me ~26mm sticking out the barrel) makes the dart fly a hair fast for my liking and also tends to have a steeper arc to the board, meaning that I have to throw slightly harder than I would like to get enough "float" to the board (I even tried switching to a hair bigger flight to give me more lift but it doesn't quite feel right either).

As a result, I've found I like any point that gives me 28-30mm sticking out the barrel. Generally a 35-36mm point does this, although sometimes I can get a 38mm point to seat really deep and get 30mm. Interestingly enough, when I line up all the darts I've ever used in a match, independently set up, they all have ~28-30mm of point out the barrel. This includes bullets, long torpedoes and straight barrels.
Tend to front grip myself, but do love long points, now using 41 mm points and ordered some snakebites to try. 66 mm points look crazy long for me, but who knows.
(01-25-2017, 06:15 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: I have been struggling with my darts recently. Nothing feels right and I've tried all sorts of combinations to just get everything comfortable from grip to the release.

I think my main problem is going to be balance/point length.... I hold the dart right at the front of the nose. I've noticed that when I pick up a pen like my dart, I hold it right at the front and the balance feels great! I'm starting to think I will need standard to short points despite liking the extra room long points can provide.... I mean what's the point (no pun intended) of having the extra space if you can't hit the target anyways lol

Any other front grippers notice this with themselves? Maybe I just need slightly front weight darts too... Maybe I just like beating myself up lol

I just fit 35mm in my Kelletts and they hang a bit more tail down now
(35mm which protrude 29.70mm), not a fan of points who protrude more than 30mm
may all the doubles be with you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long points Mackemchris 8 427 02-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Phil D
  Long points darts clearance Ed180 10 1,669 12-14-2017, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Tgstan