Harrows Darts.

Board Suggestions.
Hi all,

I am in need of some advice.

I'm getting back into playing after many many years off. I already have a nice Arachnid Soft tip board that I own but I prefer steel tip and want to get another bristle steel tip board....

So I went to the ol' interwebs and researched boards to death. Now I am at a point of need vs features. I am guessing it will see light to moderate use. I will probably throw on it daily and have the guys over weekly or biweekly for a game night.

I was leaning to a blade 4 dual core because of the slick rotalock mounting system but I keep asking myself do I *NEED* that much board.The blade 5's come with the rotalock too. That blade 5 dual core am am guessing will be expensive when it gets to the states. 

I am sure I want a staple-less spider. I guess thats my need. Is there any advantage that I am going to see buying a more expensive board like the dual core, or would I be happy with just any staple-less. I don't have a favorite brand. I throw with a set of 30 year old 90/10 Raven steel tip darts that are 23g's if that makes any difference. I can get a Blade 4 dual core for $84USD from Amazon, and thats what I was thinking of going with. What do you guys think? What would you do?

Thanks,
Jeff
I think your best option is to go with a Blade. I don't think a DC is needed to be honest. The regular Blade 5 is a great board.

I used a regular Blade 4 for over a year, 2-3 hours use a day and is still in great condition. With care and turning the board every 2-3 weeks will get the board healthy for long time.
Blade 5 from A-Z Darts - cheaper than Amazon & you can get a discount for being a DartsNutz member.  

I got one one from A-Z a couple weeks ago, & am loving it.

Regards
BT
Winmau Blade boards are very tough last a lot longer than unicorn boards , standard core is perfect or if your planning on long hours of practise then dual core , blade 4 will be cheaper now seen as the new blade 5 is out , i have the unicorn eclipse hd2 and the blade 5 standard and the unicorn just seems to show more wear faster , winmau blade mate you cant go wrong

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
Wow those were some quick responses. Thanks!. I was leaning towards a Winmau board from all the good reviews they seem to get. Where do I get that discount code for a-z? Seems like that would be a no brainer to get then... Blade 5 and be done with it.
With five posts, you will get access to the discount section of the forum where you can get the code. I just ordered a blade 5 from A to Z myself.
Oh awesome.. Thanks for the info... I don't think it will take me too long to get that.. I am excited to be playing again... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Instead of taking up more post space and its along the same vein as the board.. Backboard surrounds... How good are the 4 piece ones vs say the winmau 1 piece one? That winmau backboard surround is almost twice the price as the other foam ones. Anyone have a preference?
IMO the only problem with the Blade series of boards is that they are pretty soft, which I personally don't like. This may be a good thing for you, however if you want a hard board then look no further than the Shot! Bandit board (as of today the Shot! Bandit Plus is $67.60 on Amazon.com).

I bought my Shot! Bandit (not the plus) last year and have just gone past the 50 week mark (rotated once a week). I love it, and it's still going strong and wearing well. I play ~6-7 hrs a week on average and use finger grip points.
Another vote for the Blade 4 DC. I'm in Canada and local dart shops carried them. I'm on my second 4DC and obviously buying the second one like them a lot, 5 wasn't available or even announced. It is superior to the Unicorn boards I play on league nights, but not by much. The league also has some Bandit boards and I almost bought one of those instead of the second 4DC just to try it out. I might still on my next board. I got better than a year out of my first 4DC playing on it daily and rotating weekly as well. Never had experience with the Target boards. Best of luck and welcome to the forum tooGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

I would recommend the ONE80 Gladiator board in the states as it is a great firm and bright board and in the UK they are available at a good price, I prefer a firm board and they wear and last very well
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Is there an advantage or disadvantage to playing a soft feeling board or a firm and bright board? ... or is it just a preference? I am guessing your darts will stick in just fine but maybe if you throw hard the firm board will hold better and prevent a bounce out?
No problems at all with the Blade 5 I have been trying recently, almost no bounce outs, bright and clear colours and lovely thin wires.
I just prefer a board where my darts do not go in almost to the barrel. Dual Core boards are far to soft for me.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(01-24-2017, 06:50 PM)Big Jeff Wrote: Instead of taking up more post space and its along the same vein as the board.. Backboard surrounds... How good are the 4 piece ones vs say the winmau 1 piece one? That winmau backboard surround is almost twice the price as the other foam ones. Anyone have a preference?
I have the 4 piece and it works perfect!  Completely surrounds the board with no gaps
(01-24-2017, 10:22 PM)Big Jeff Wrote: Is there an advantage or disadvantage to playing a soft feeling board or a firm and bright board? ... or is it just a preference? I am guessing your darts will stick in just fine but maybe if you throw hard the firm board will hold better and prevent a bounce out?

Probably just preference but I prefer a softer board as the darts tend to bury a little better for me than on a firm board
(01-24-2017, 10:22 PM)Big Jeff Wrote: Is there an advantage or disadvantage to playing a soft feeling board or a firm and bright board? ... or is it just a preference? I am guessing your darts will stick in just fine but maybe if you throw hard the firm board will hold better and prevent a bounce out?

As the others have said it's personal preference. 

I've had 2 Blade 4s and my darts stick in pretty deep - I use finger grip points so I usually bury half the rings in the board.  When you remove the darts, the rings cut the sisal leading to increased wear on the board.  This doesn't happen with the harder boards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need advice-suggestions Zimchaz 3 438 02-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Zimchaz