Unicorn

Holding dart
Hi, ive been playing about 3 years now , constantly ave around 75 not quite good enough for Q-School but top end of pub league, my problem is since the day I picked my dart up iv always held it the same way, my ring finger touches the end of the point , I aim like that and hold it till the end, I think this is the reason I cant excel and may hold me back as if im nervous or cold it creates a problem nervous I put too much pressure on the tip and cold I cant feel the tip, should i try change my throw or do you think a different dart would help, currently use rosso 5s

your grip is your grip, changing dart wont help, you have i see 2 options

1) - change your grip, but your averaging 75 so i wouldnt personally bother

2) start analysing your game beyond just your average, so think along the lines of your most common misses when going T20, do you miss alot when switching, are you poor on doubles? etc etc

its what i do when i play golf, im a 12 handicapper which is relatively decent, but to improve there is no point going through equipment or completely re-hualing my swing, my swing is my swing and my clubs unless they are knackered are simply the tools, I only get better when i analyse my misses, then work to reduce them
A 75 average after 3 years?

Don't even consider changing anything.

Jugger Wrote:A 75 average after 3 years?  

good point, ive been playing since i was a kid and only average 55 with tons of practice, can get 70 average at home but league is never the same
(01-24-2017, 05:02 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote:
Jugger Wrote:A 75 average after 3 years?  

good point, ive been playing since i was a kid and only average 55 with tons of practice, can get 70 average at home but league is never the same

I'm coming up on 3 years here in May... I had a stretch where I was averaging just over 60, but now down around 55 as well.
I wish I didn't need to count missed doubles... my average would be over 80!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I don't pay much attention to averages though to be honest... As long as I'm winning.
If I start losing I just try to get better at what made me lose.

Right now I'm trying to get better at knowing my outs.

Hi

It is a really great avg.

But if I may share my opinion, by the picture you attached to you msg, it seems you are holding the darts too tightly. I believe no matter your grip you should always hold the darts gently. It helps you open all the fingers at the same time and producing a smooth release.

I also agree there's no such thing as a wrong grip and you shouldn't change it, altought I also believe touching the tip could spoil your aim.

Good luck
S

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

My lightsaber: [font=Trebuchet MS]Bull's Mamba 97 24g[/font]
My blaster: DPC Golden Guns 23 g
My astrodroid (helps me when I need it): Bull's Pegasus 24g
My ship: Short
My wings: Standard / Harrows Click / Condor

My dart collection: https://flic.kr/s/aHskHdPmnt

Changing your grip is going to hurt at first but very doable. It might be easier to work on the nerves or the cold hands. I can't recommend any but maybe a sports psychology book and a cup of tea instead of a pint.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
Hey there ... new to this darts game !

I don't understand what you mean when you say you average 75 or 55, would someone care to explain ?
Bulls 22g Blackpool B's, medium spinner stems with raw75 flights
2017: Ton80's .. .. .. 1
2017: 3 bulls .. .. .. 1

(04-07-2017, 08:47 AM)Karldawg Wrote: Hey there ... new to this darts game !

I don't understand what you mean when you say you average 75 or 55, would someone care to explain ?

3 dart average most likely. Divide by 3 and you have PPD. (Only applies to 01 games)
(01-24-2017, 04:36 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: your grip is your grip, changing dart wont help, you have i see 2 options

2) start analysing your game beyond just your average, so think along the lines of your most common misses when going T20, do you miss alot when switching, are you poor on doubles? etc etc

This right here.  It's some additional brainpower you need, not changing grip.  Then once you identify your weaknesses, it's up to you to do something about then.
(04-07-2017, 05:33 PM)wongerchi Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 04:36 PM)Jamesr4300 Wrote: your grip is your grip, changing dart wont help, you have i see 2 options

This right here.  It's some additional brainpower you need, not changing grip.  Then once you identify your weaknesses, it's up to you to do something about then.

tbf though its lots easier said than done, i still find myself doing it haha
Seriously is what should you do if you can hold the dart from the front and throw ok and also hold the dart at the back and throw ok?
There must be a better way and why?
Actually, I won't say anything about whether to change grip or not, because i think you already know the answer by what you asked.

Let's Side-Track a bit: The top Chinese Olympic Pistol Shooters (Precision) have been known to calculatedly smash the bones in their shooting hand deliberately, and have it re-set to a more optimum shooting angle. Winning Gold in the Olympics brings great glory, and rewards, something that is unthinkable for most commoners.

The difference between Gold and Silver in Precision Shooting is 0.1 points, so you can imagine that Elite Athletes do everything they can to gain whatever advantage they can, including achieving as near to perfect form as possible.

The Chinese, Russians, Italians, Germans and recently Koreans usually rank top in the world for precision shooting sports.

I guess it depends on what you want from Darts, how much you're willing to tell your mind a change is needed, if necessary, and to work for that return. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

All the best mate!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I also hold my dart like a pen and spin them before follow through. The problem I have is I can't find barrels long enough and in 18g they need to be at least 54mm long. Any ideas will be appreciated

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holding darts like a Pen KDV180 3 504 02-18-2020, 04:53 PM
Last Post: jt4527