Unicorn

Unicorn Evolution Series Phase 2 Purist (Phil Taylor)
Hello fellow nutz. 

Super obsessive nerdy guy here. Hope you will find this review entertaining Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A while ago, I decided to start a collection of steel tip darts. The first thing that came to mind was world championship winning darts. In particular, the Unicorn Purist (aka: Phil Taylor) Phase 2. A friend of mine had these in the soft tip version in gold and I always thought they looked beautiful witha nice grip. Adding to its allure is its historical significance... being the barrel that won the most world championships. As soon as I heard that it was being discontinued, I scrambled all over the internet in search for a set.

Specs of my set
Length: 53.60mm
Width: 6.65mm
Weight: 24.34g, 24.35g, 24.30g
Point Length: 28.50mm
Drilled out: 8.70mm 
Balance: slightly front of center

Here're the barrels fresh out of the box:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thoughts: 
The gold titanium coating looks a shade darker in real life compare to pictures online. The machining on the tapering part near the stems could have been better. It was immediately noticeable that it wasn't symmetrical all round. Aside from this, the barrel itself is very beautiful with subtle details that makes it look distinctive. 

Different from official info on Unicorn's website are the specs. Generally speaking, every measurement is bigger in real life. The length doesn't bother me as much as the width, which was off by 0.1mm. Fingers being the hyper sensitive part of the body, 0.1mm in width is quite a noticeable difference for myself.

A thing worth noting is that 24g actually means 24.3g ish. Had the same discrepancy with my Anderson Phase 3s. Not sure why they do this, but it will surely drive a person with OCD into unrecoverable madness. Thanks Unicorn Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The purist grip was fantastic. I would say it's a 4/5 in terms of grippiness. I have extremely dry hands that don't sweat 99% of the time and I find this particular grip works very well. There's a slight difference compared to the Anderson Phase 3 grip. These Purist Phase 2s have thinner and deeper rings, which makes it feels a bit more aggressive in the hand. The Andersons feels like a tone down version of this same grip imo. Overall, it feels very easy to modulate the release with the Phase 2s, very easy to feel where I made the mistake. 

The balance of the dart is slightly off to the front of center. I suspect it is mostly due to the rather large nose cone section. I enjoy the feeling I get when pushing the dart forward. It's got a very solid feel to it, self-directing without much uncertainty almost. 

Seriously, these feel so good that I couldn't stop to remove the extra pigeon rings on my stems...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here're some picture of the barrels after 1 week of moderate amount of use:
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As expected, the coating begins to chip away gradually. It's certainly not as bad as anticipated. The lip on the nose cone took most the impact, hence it's looking quite beat up there. Some chips on the grip itself, but it doesn't cut the skin or feel uncomfortable. Imho, once this grip has been wore down a fair bit, the grip level should still be very much usable. As previously mentioned, the cuts are quite deep, so it should last a decent amount of time. The only complaint I have was the silver points were super slippery. Not a problem after roughing up the sides with a grinding stone. 

Final thoughts: 10/10 recommended! Aside from the measurements being off, not too many complaints otherwise. The barrel itself has been fantastic to throw with. Excellent grip, very easy to control and to feel whats happening. To top it off, it's quite a beautiful classic looking dart. It's also nice to know that since Phil Taylor won so many WCs with them, there's no possible excuse you can make to blame these darts...lol. If you can still find them somewhere, do grab a set and try it for yourself.
Hello Metro, welcome aboard the Nutz forum. :hithere:

Nicely done on the review and a fine intro/first post. :thumbup:

I used these for years and went through a fair number of sets.  I as well went on a frenzy buying up Taylor 2's before they changed the branding on them when he made the switch to Target.

Have a good number of them and before anyone sends me a PM, they're not for trade/sale. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Welcome to Nutz

Great first post

Cheers
Tez
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
Welcome and great review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.. Have a couple of sets of these myself. Classics!

Will there be reviews of the rest of your collection coming?
Excellent review and excellent choice of darts.
The gold looks fantastic. Just a question out of curiosity: do you grip the barrel near the front or in the back?
MVG Collection: 21g Masterdarts MVG Silver/Black Ring/Gold/Black & 23g Masterdarts MVG Black
Darts Collection: Click to view my darts gallery

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Okay, I may have missed the train because I'm lost.  Are these things actually discontinued?  On the Unicorn website it says "New" by the posting.  Odd selling point if you're not making something anymore.  Now, I know they aren't new but were they rebranded without Taylor's name or image?  I just bought the Phase 3s a couple weeks ago.  The packaging tells all about Taylor using them and so on but they aren't advertised as a "Phil Taylor" model, so to speak.  Same with the Phase 1s and 2s.  There was another thread about this very thing but it's quite old now and they are still available, it seems.  What gives?

Here's the old thread: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=12970

Below is a screenshot of the Unicorn site from just moments ago.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Welcome to the forum .
Great first post .
Iconic dart the Taylor Phase 2.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]®[/font]

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Oh, my apologies! I didn't realize this was your first post, Metro! Welcome aboard! Enjoy the forum! Tons of great info and friendly people here!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Great intro ,,, Welcome ,,, Enjoy,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice review and intro :Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Welcome and enjoy!
Big Grin 
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Can't exactly call myself new... I've been lurking on this forum for years... haha

I will for sure do reviews as I collect more. These are for your amusement as much as mine. Though I must say, there are far too many crazy collections on this forum (some of you guys have serious hoarding issues Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ).

I grip all the way to the rear of the barrel. Seems to help the darts land tail up, the way I prefer it.

As I was told by a rep from Dartscorner, these are being discontinued. My search seemed to confirm this also, as many shops had the remaining Unicorn Evolution Purist models on sale or are simply out of stock indefinitely.
Very nice review of one of the most iconic darts there is Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. a beautiful looking set of darts too
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

"Super obsessive nerdy guy here. Hope you will find this review entertaining Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images."

Found it very entertaining and you're gonna fit in well here. +1
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

Hello i am looking to buy these. Plecase anyone tell me a price?
Thanks
P,. S
I can pick up from or around Blackpool area.
(08-31-2019, 03:08 PM)Sebastian Pal Wrote: Hello i am looking to buy these. Plecase anyone tell me a price?
Thanks
P,. S
I can pick up from or around Blackpool area.

Trading activity is restricted to our BSS section, and requires a minimum of 50 posts to access.  Members can suggest where you can purchase from a shop, but not make offers here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn James Wade Phase 2 Noirs 20g Ivefoundgod 10 661 09-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Tormentor
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson World Champion Phase 5 Darts Review Getagrip 15 371 08-02-2021, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson Phase 5 Noir Darts Review Getagrip 13 279 07-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Simoski
  Bulls Phantom Grip 24g review, Barneveld Unicorn Phase 1 jordanhopper180 13 1,841 03-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: dexterwolf
  Target Phil Taylor Power 9Five Generation 7 Darts Review Getagrip 9 928 10-31-2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,967 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Target Swiss Point Review (Includes SP01 & Phil Taylor Gen 6) vanJupp 20 5,175 09-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: nrb1
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,539 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 991 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops
  Target Phil Taylor Power 9 Five Gen 6 22g Darts Review Getagrip 11 1,413 03-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982