Darts Buddy

Flight Protectors
Are they really necessary? Jacked up one of my new flights trying to get one of them little bastards on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Not necessary. If you like them you can use them, if not than don't.

I never tried them and never will.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Don't like them. The metal ones slightly alter the balance and they don't really do much anyway.
I found them more of a pain to get on than anything... Didn't know if there was any actual benefit to them or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I had considered getting one but they look a bit awkward to me.

Personally I don't really see the practicality of them. Flights are cheap and depending on your point of view they can potentially last a very long time.
I love 'em. Last ages (the conical metal ones). Fit well on the flights I like (75-100mm), but don't suit all flights (thick flights, reseal flights, or ones with a layered surface are easily damaged when trying to install. My main reason for using them is they keep the center of the flight from getting beat up. If I don't use them, sooner or later I'll robinhood right into that flight.
I use them, oddly enough, because they help keep my flights at a 90 degree angle to each other. They do add some protection but that is not the main reason I use them. Probably just a hang up on my part.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I've never used them, so I honestly don't know how much they add to the life of a flight.  That said, in my humble opinion and considering how cheap flights are, I just don't see the point.  To me, chewed up flights must surely be a sign of consistency and if that's the cost of being accurate, I'll gladly pay.
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Tried them, didn't like 'em, chucked 'em.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

(01-23-2017, 02:14 AM)ranger86 Wrote: I use them, oddly enough,  because they help keep my flights at a 90 degree angle to each other. They do add some protection but that is not the main reason I use them.  Probably just a hang up on my part.

I used to use them and that was the main benefit.  Keeping the flight 'square'.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

I recently bought some and have been using since thursday with new darts, what have i noticed?

Compared to the 5 days i was using my mvg demolishers, these flights are not battered in the centre like the mvg ones where, so do they work? well for me yes, and i notice no balance issues

I also fitted trident nose cones to my new darts and these are working brilliantly, after 4/5 tight groupings on my mvg flights the edges were getting cut/bent, with the nose cones on my new flights are chipping paint from the design but the edges of the flight themselves are still fine, and im scoring heavier/tighter with the new darts

so together the flight proectors/nose cones are working wonders for the life of my flights
I don't use them anymore, but I used to like the Unicorn two-pronged snap off protectors that came with some of their darts. For me they kept the flight squarer than any other protector, were quick to put on and weighed next to nothing.
I try to use darts that don't have a bull nose. Storm points also help a lot. I haven't destroyed flights in months. I usually replace flights because I get bored of them, LOL
Darts: Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 LP 25g
Experiments: Lots
Results: I hit the board most of the time  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i put them in the back of the barrel if one of them is about 0.10g lighter than the other barrels and i use them some times just to bling up the set up eg pimp my dart  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
rod dog Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I used to use them many years ago. I stopped when I lost a match because of them. Well, I might have lost that match even if I hadn't lost one protector but hey, the constant scanning of the floor wouldn't help anyone who should better focus on his game.

Pros:
+ they may affect the balance of your darts the way you like
+ someone may like how it looks. A sort of gimmick though..
+ help keep your flights in a proper shape

Cons:
- they may affect the balance of your darts the way you don't like
- purely a gimmick
- not convenient if you dismantle your darts to put them into the case
- bad if you lose one...