Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Made Monster Anastasia darts 3g heavier with tungsten putty and tungsten inserts

So I finally tried the tungsten putty on the Monster Anastasia darts.

I bought two version of the putty as you can see in the video, the cheap version that I mention before and thought it was too sticky to put in the barrels. So I was a bit worried about using that but I got some of the same stuff Worldwide was using or at least I thought it was the same stuff and decided to compare them both.

As suspected the cheap putty was very sticky I even put it in the fridge like Mike suggested but it was still very sticky and made a mess of my fingers as you can see in the vid.

It only added another gram or so and its total weight out the pack was only around 15g so it was obviously a low tungsten content.

That cost me £3.99 from ebay but the more expensive one cost £9.07 from a U.S. ebay seller which included postage.

The Pine Car derby putty looked smaller than what I have seen others have but it was much denser and weighed 28g.

So I tried them both and the cheap one was very difficult to get out the barrel and the more expensive one I think may be had too much tungsten in as it was quite crumbly, not sure if that was normal?

But the best method by far was to mix the Unicorn Ultra Core inserts with the putty and use that.

You can buy 6 inserts for £3.49 and the are 97% tungsten and weigh 2g.

The Anastasia barrels are drilled out about 25mm but I could only fit 1 insert in and was not going to try and cut them in half like Kevin Deckers did, but adding the putty worked well and it was easier I think.

So I was not too precise with measuring the putty out I was a bit gung ho in stuffing it in as I just wanted to test it and if I wanted to get it exact I would spend more time to do that, but I think one barrel must have been drilled out a little more as it weighed a fair bit more than the other two.

This is the barrel before:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

and this was after with the putty and the insert:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So quite a big difference.

This is the balance before and after:

So balance was affected a little but not as much as I thought it may have been.

But when I threw the darts I could instantly feel that the heavier weight felt better for me although I did not see any real noticeable quirks or happenings in the way they flew through the air although I think they were landing a little flatter in the board.

But I think I have been hitting more T20's with them since I did it and very pleased with the results, I like the darts even more now Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But I think its a little bit of an expensive experiment to do if its only for one set of darts, thankfully I have a few soft tip barrels I may try it on.

The good thing is you have some options if you see barrels that you like but they are too light, the only problem is its dependent on how deeply they are drilled out if at all.

I would hazard a guess and say barrels around 50mm and over 6mm and 20g or less have a good chance of having some depth but it will depend on the shape too, I think you may have more chance with barrels that are straight or almost a straight style say a slight taper, but ultimately you wont know until you have them. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice analysis barren. Can you tell me the exact dimensions of the tungsten inserts ?
Thanks! They are 10.1mm long and 3.9mm thick Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Top class informative review +1
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

(01-22-2017, 10:35 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Thanks! They are 10.1mm long and 3.9mm thick Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thank you very much darren
Great review Darren +1.
Thanks guys! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I may get a few more Monster darts now Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thank you very much for mentioning my name in your video Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Very good video and comparison. Well done. I see you get along very good with the Anastasia darts. 

I think my putty (Korda Dark Matter) is somewhere between the 2 different kinds of putty you used. Mine is a little sticky but not crumbly at all. Also very interesting that the tungsten % of the putty differs a lot. Obviously the inserts are the best method to increase the weight.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I provide you with darts related stuff
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Scores, Fixtures, Charts & Statistics
Great thread, was looking at doing this to my hankeys after i saw WWD's vidoe.
(01-23-2017, 06:14 PM)TheRedBit Wrote: Thank you very much for mentioning my name in your video Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Very good video and comparison. Well done. I see you get along very good with the Anastasia darts. 

I think my putty (Korda Dark Matter) is somewhere between the 2 different kinds of putty you used. Mine is a little sticky but not crumbly at all. Also very interesting that the tungsten % of the putty differs a lot. Obviously the inserts are the best method to increase the weight.

No worries on the mention Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I don't know what its done to the Annas but I was throwing them for about 15 mins this afternoon before I was going to collect Misty from the vets and hit lots of T20's with them, only issue for me is I wish the ring grip was a little closer to the nose as sometimes they slip a little.

Yeah I think the putty I got must have a high tungsten content so not as pliable, and the cheapo one was terrible, too sticky!

(01-23-2017, 06:39 PM)Higgz1985 Wrote: Great thread, was looking at doing this to my hankeys after i saw WWD's vidoe.

Cheers!

And that reminds me I was going to order a set, so will do that now if I can still find any Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great work there.
I got my putty by Pinewood Pro a year ago and it really wasn't messy nor crumbling like that. Never had that mess on my fingers.

Regarding the ultracore spares. Could you give the length of one of those pls. Planning to try the combination like you did. Gonna put it in my 18g Lloyd.
Great work there. 
I got my putty by Pinewood Pro a year ago and it really wasn't messy nor crumbling like that. Never had that mess on my fingers. 

Regarding the ultracore spares. Could you give the length of one of those pls. Planning to try the combination like you did. Gonna put it in my 18g Lloyd.
Great work there.
Regarding the ultracore spares. Could you give the lenght of one insert?
Not sure if it will fit the Target 18g Lloyd.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tungsten Putty tutorial for adding weight to soft/steel tip darts Regulatori 74 36,038 04-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Thewho
  How to remove tungsten putty m1ghty 1 1,827 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Regulatori
  Home Made Darts Stand by Pirke Getagrip 5 4,439 07-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Last Post: vested1
  Tips from the Pro's - Anastasia Dobromyslova Getagrip 1 922 03-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Does anyone know how to chemically etch tungsten? Ni518079 5 5,934 06-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Milkysunshine