Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

To spin or not to spin.
Hey,

Just wondering how important spinning or flicking a dart is. I always used to try and spin on my throw when I played before, but when I bought my darts, for some reason it felt better to not spin and throw it... Normally? Straight? True? I dunno how you'd say.

A player I play with who's made a lot of improvement recently said flicking his dart (as he describes it) has changed his game.

Just wondering if some spin is essential? I hear lot about follow through but couldn't find much about spin.

Ta
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 
I think depending on your throw, spin will either happen or not. Personally there's naturally a bit of spin in my throw, but I don't try and force it.

The more natural a throw is, there's less to go wrong. I wouldn't try and force anything.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
(01-21-2017, 12:09 PM)Alex Wrote: I think depending on your throw, spin will either happen or not. Personally there's naturally a bit of spin in my throw, but I don't try and force it.

The more natural a throw is, there's less to go wrong. I wouldn't try and force anything.
MvG's throw is very still, there's no spin on a lot of his darts. I don't know if spin helps or not but if you think like a gun has rifling in the barrel which causes spin, but then the best player in the world doesn't have spin...
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
I agree with Alex on this. In my opinion, it is best to keep things as simple as possible in the throwing motion. There's less that can go wrong when not adding elements to the throw. I know my darts stay relatively stable with very little, to no spin once they leave my hand on the way to the board.
I am a very natural spinner, if I let it happen it happens a lot but I don't like to spin as I just think it slows my darts too much and creates drag, I know others will say it should be like a bullet and rifle through the air but that's not what I perceive when it happens, it still happens to some degree but I try deliberately to not let it happen.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-21-2017, 01:58 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I am a very natural spinner, if I let it happen it happens a lot but I don't like to spin as I just think it slows my darts too much and creates drag, I know others will say it should be like a bullet and rifle through the air but that's not what I perceive when it happens, it still happens to some degree but I try deliberately to not let it happen.

I can't buy the Bullet/rifle analogy.    Let's face it, rifle barrels have lans and grooves in them to stabilize a round of ammo in the air and allow it to be accurate at distance-----usually great distance.    We are only talking about us being 7ft. 9 1/4 inches from the board, then factor into that equation we are probably releasing the dart in the 6+ ft. distance from the face of the board once we go through our throwing motion, so why would it be important to purposely try to put spin on a dart.

I know some folks, due to their style of throw and release will naturally spin the dart a bit, but to try to manipulate your fingers in such a way during the throw to attempt to put more spin is, in my opinion, ludicrous.
(01-21-2017, 02:09 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(01-21-2017, 01:58 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I am a very natural spinner, if I let it happen it happens a lot but I don't like to spin as I just think it slows my darts too much and creates drag, I know others will say it should be like a bullet and rifle through the air but that's not what I perceive when it happens, it still happens to some degree but I try deliberately to not let it happen.

I can't buy the Bullet/rifle analogy.    Let's face it, rifle barrels have lans and grooves in them to stabilize a round of ammo in the air and allow it to be accurate at distance-----usually great distance.    We are only talking about us being 7ft. 9 1/4 inches from the board, then factor into that equation we are probably releasing the dart in the 6+ ft. distance from the face of the board once we go through our throwing motion, so why would it be important to purposely try to put spin on a dart.

I know some folks, due to their style of throw and release will naturally spin the dart a bit, but to try to manipulate your fingers in such a way during the throw to attempt to put more spin is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

Yep that's my point, I see some people and I think even some manufacturers say the dart is more accurate because of the spin or it travels faster etc but I spin it naturally and never notice it have that effect, usually the more it spins for me the more it dips or even looks like its swerving to the right, could just be my dodgy eyes making it look like that though lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I spin my darts a ton when I throw, but it's natural for my grip. If it happens natural let them spin, if not don't force it too
Matchdarts- 23.3g Ks99dime Madhouse Falcon Customs, 41mm diamond points, tweenie supergrip stems, Harrows Velos flights.
Backups- 23g Shot! Birds of Prey Falcon
25g Harrows Aura a3
24g Target Power 8Zero
23g Ks99dime Madhouse Customs
23g Adrian Lewis Pixel Grip
23g Target Daytona Fire 02
23g Dennis Priestley's
22g Cuesoul Black Scorpions
22g winmau snipers
21g Ks99dime Custom
21g Harrows Wolframs
21g Harrows Atomics
20g Monster Hades 2

I'll get a spin with some darts but others just don't spin much. For me it depends on the cut of the dart. I know my C3's don't have much spin but the Talisman's do. I'm also more accurate with the Talisman 90's
The perfect throw/push will have little or no spin, eg MvG's or Taylor's throw. I would think Gary Andersons throw would generate a lot of spin due to his style of grip.
The Bullet vs Dart example isn't quite right as for thing bullets don't have flights. So lots of spin with a big flight will create lots of drag and slow the dart down, little or
no spin and a small flight eg 'Pears' will create less drag and the dart will slow down less. So spin or no spin it's all down to your throw and grip, just work with what 
you have and if you aren't happy then change something.

Chris..
To me watching Anderson there's a real evident amount of spin while he's drawing the dart back. But yeah, MVG and Taylor seem to have minimal spin going on. Good! One less thing to worry about.
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 
(01-22-2017, 12:30 AM)Blurds Wrote: To me watching Anderson there's a real evident amount of spin while he's drawing the dart back. But yeah, MVG and Taylor seem to have minimal spin going on. Good! One less thing to worry about.

Taylor's darts have massive spin:

https://youtu.be/gUGKOZHYKjc

His gen 3's even "helicopter" like crazy.
(01-21-2017, 01:56 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I agree with Alex on this.   In my opinion, it is best to keep things as simple as possible in the throwing motion.    There's less that can go wrong when not adding elements to the throw.     I know my darts stay relatively stable with very little, to no spin once they leave my hand on the way to the board.

Earl you so right my friend- look if natural throw is a spin so be it , dont complicate things like gumbo says
In my mind ,,,the pure physical mechanics of throwing a dart that generally weighs 1 ounce or less with your fingers that naturally will roll off you fingertips would be impossible to throw perfect with no spin every time,,,,I have trouble gripping and throwing 3 daarts in a turn with the same velocity and stroke ,,, I don't even think about the spin ,, if it happens it happens ,, ,,,

Adrian Lewis,,, does he twist the dart on his take back and spin the dart on the release .. if he does it works for him,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-22-2017, 01:11 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: In my mind ,,,the pure physical mechanics of throwing a dart that generally weighs 1 ounce or less with your fingers that naturally will roll off you fingertips would be impossible to throw perfect with no spin every time,,,,I have trouble gripping and throwing 3 daarts in a turn with the same velocity and stroke ,,, I don't even think about the spin ,, if it happens it happens ,, ,,,

Adrian Lewis,,, does he twist the dart on his take back and spin the dart on the release .. if he does it works for him,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Lol ya right- for me I just interesting in the dart hitting somewhere near my target Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.