Unicorn

Fixed Oche: Big help for improving?
I am about to build myself a raised oche and was thinking about how much it will help to improve my overall game.

When people have questions about their game, they often get the advise to just throw and not overthink it and just train to develop a steady throw. But I wondered if all this training would improve more by getting a raised oche.

At the moment I just have an oche strip on the floor and noticed that I often step over it without knowing. Especially when I have to move left or right. Of course it's just a few centimeters, but darts is a game of small distances. A few mm to high and your dart blocks the T20 instead of hitting it.

So with a raised oche your distance will always be the same and you should also be able to stop thinking about your stand as you don't have to look down on your feet to see if you stepped over your oche. It's just eliminating one variable of your throw.

So what's your point on this matter? Does a raised and fixed oche really help to get better or is it just a nice to have thing?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Think it will help. When you don't have to look down you can always focus on your target, this helps with maintaining concentration from my personal experience. And as you mentioned, you will throw the exact same distance every time.
(01-20-2017, 10:11 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Think it will help. When you don't have to look down you can always focus on your target, this helps with maintaining concentration from my personal experience. And as you mentioned, you will throw the exact same distance every time.

I agree. Build myself a oche today. First throws felt a bit weird as I am not used to a raised oche. But not caring about the distance and not looking down just feels good and I am sure it will help my game in the next time.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
A raised oche has had a negative effect with me my board is hung in the kitchen as it measures 24ft x 17ft I had enough room for the correct throwing distance but I couldn't have a raised toe line as the Mrs & kids would be forever tripping over it I got a oche matt anyway a few weeks ago I drilled two holes in the floor so I could use a raised line and unscrew it when not throwing but the not having to look down for foot placement felt uncomfortable so I gone back to using the oche Matt again
I reckon a raised oche would be beneficial in the long run. Not having to look down for foot placement and being able to maintain focus on the board completely during your approach and setup can only be a good thing
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Yep, do it. As above.
Yeah i builded my own oche and damn do i throw a hell of a lot better now. It was wierd because when i played in a pub i would throw so much better then at home and would use like ~6 darts less. Didn't really understand it until i had it a home too and i improved so much.
I still look down when approaching the raised oche...I usually try and find a mark or point on it once i'm comfortable so that i'm throwing from the same point every throw

If I didn't look down i'd probably end up on my a$$ Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I used a raised oche for about a year and a half. I replaced it with a laser oche. Best thing I ever did. I no longer have this thing I kept tripping over or stubbing my toe on. I don't mind looking down at my toe as I prepare to throw. It is part of my routine as I like to line up with my target. Different strokes for different folks.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Definitely think it will help.  I personally always throw better when I don't have to look down and it's one less thing to worry about.  As others have said if you board isn't in a dedicated area it may create a hazard though.
I've been thinking of nailing an oche to the floor since I'm in a rental home these days and I can just nail it through the carpet and nobody will be the wiser to it. HaHa

Plus the tape doesn't stick on the carpet too good
I'm thinking of fixing a 1x1 or something similar to my oche mat. Has anyone tried this at all?
I bought an oche mat with a raised oche built in. Certainly one of my top top darting purchases. (technically my girlfriends as it was a gift).

I don't know if it's improved my game or the fact I just practice more but its certainly quicker and more convenient not having to check where I am before every throw. Plus you can easily see where you normally stand as I've worn the paint off where my foot goes up against lol.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
I just nailed a 1x1 to the floor and it works like a charm. Actually I had the line 2" too close so that was a noticeable difference for sure. I wondered why my buddy's board seemed so much further away
Well today I finished my DIY Oche. Very happy with it, already played for a few days on it, before I put on the edge protection. At first it was something new, to feel something physical with the foot when throwing, but after some hours, I don't really think about it anymore. Just feels good not to have look down before each throw.

I am sure it will improve my game.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best finish to date... feeling that I’m improving Ed180 15 724 08-23-2021, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NiteEyez
  Improving at darts and using data from My Dart Training Phil McKeown 10 1,023 10-07-2019, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  advice to improving my grip MB_AV 13 1,978 01-29-2018, 10:31 PM
Last Post: MB_AV
  Improving Blanton 8 725 12-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Blanton
  Most Problems can be fixed with *Saber* 15 1,781 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Great White North