Harrows Darts.

Follow through
Hi

I'm currently doing flight school a1 and a2 but I'm struggling to 'feel the stroke'. 

Having read so much about the importance of the follow through I'm trying to work on developing it more. My more natural throw sometimes feels a bit snatchy. However when I try to follow through completely including my wrist I find it really harms my accuracy.

My question is, if a continue to try to develop the follow through with poor accuracy will the accuracy improve as the stroke becomes more natural?

Also has anyone got any tips for developing a good follow through other than flight school.

Thanks

Tom
Don't worry about your accuracy too much yet.
As I'm a beginner, this stage I've only recently passed through so it's still fresh in my mind. I would say that you should keep doing the follow through as to make it automatic. When you've built up the muscle memory with your follow through (you won't even think about it, it will just happen) your accuracy will improve gradually because you will be devoting more of your focus to your accuracy rather than thinking about your follow through or your stance.
Stance and follow through etc are like low level behaviours which are important enough that they need to be automatic and instinctive.

In the beginning I just used to throw at the direction of the board while looking at my arm to see my movement. Other times I used to get a family member to video me from the side in slow motion so that I could analyse my throw.

Maybe someone has a different perspective.
it may not be down to your follow through thats causing the snatching ive personally had this and would say try speeding your drawback up as a slower drawback and fast follow through can cause it i believe its the same with chizzy when he draws back to slow his snatch is worse its much better at his natural place and guessing from your post your relatively new to the game you may not have found your rhythm try different speeds and see whats comfortable and works and yes keep working on the follow through good luck to you
These Nutz know whereof they speak-and welcome to the forum!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I changed my throw to have a full follow through and it has been great for me. Really improved my consistency and accuracy. Because this change was a conscious one it means I have a throw I can make myself do. By that I mean, if it's not coming "naturally" I can I know what I have to do to get it working again.

Be prepared though....it took months of practicing 5 days a week for this throw to replace my original one in muscle memory. It was worth the investment in time for me as I am a far better player now than I was before. (You could argue that I would have been just as good had I practiced my original throw the same amount but I don't believe that is true.)

During the time I was consciously forcing myself to follow through only the first few days or week saw me actually get less accurate. After that it was just a case of making sure I didn't revert to my old throw, especially under pressure. This is where A1 and A2 came in. I spent those drills ensuring my throw was technically what I was trying for with accuracy being a secondary consideration.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Usually, newer players release their darts at more inconsistent times, such as too early or too late during the movement.
If you don't have a lot of elbow movement in your throw, this release time inconsistency lead to greater height inaccuracies.

A quick fix to that is to raise your elbow more. Here's a picture explaining this idea.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you can see, by raising the elbow, the hand's path is much more parallel to the dart's path, leading to a much wider window to release the dart and maintain accuracy.

The path that the hand follows is much shorter, which might make you believe that there isn't as much follow through. In reality, the arm's position at the end of the movement with the elbow raise is just as extended as in the movement without the elbow raise.

Many of the pros don't have much elbow raise, and it works for them because they have mastered the timing of the release of their dart. In the case of a new player that hasn't mastered this skill, an elbow raise in much more accurate.
Thanks for all the responses. Some great advice. I'm going to try to forget accuracy for a while and really nail this follow through. I'll be getting that elbow up aswell as that makes real sense now I've seen the diagram

Thanks
Tom
(01-19-2017, 07:45 AM)Roberts7286 Wrote: Thanks for all the responses. Some great advice. I'm going to try to forget accuracy for  a while and really nail this follow through. I'll be getting that elbow up aswell as that makes real sense now I've seen the diagram

Thanks
Tom

In any 'shooting' sport, 'shooting' being used loosely, the Form has to be established first, and solidified before one can expect better results, which is why those interested in higher performance, or the pros whose livelihoods depends on winning, spend a great deal of time working on their form, and continue to refine it all through out. Practising, and focusing on other aspects of the sport comes later.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

If you take say Precision Pistol or Rifle Shooting, or Target Archery for example, you won't believe the amount of time spent just on training the form, and refining triggerwork/release/blank baeling. I won't bore you with details unless you ask. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

All the best me8!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think also while your getting a feel for the follow through you will obviously be thinking about it and may be forcing it to some extent but ultimately the follow through should happen as the after affect or continuation of your throw after release so it should become something that happens naturally, if its too forced then its likely your arm is not moving fluidly through the stroke, I think if you watch the slow mo of Phil Taylors throw he does exactly as Microtom describes in that sketch and I think MVG is the same too, MVG's follow through almost looks like his hand is going to come off lol!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(01-19-2017, 09:43 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I think also while your getting a feel for the follow through you will obviously be thinking about it and may be forcing it to some extent but ultimately the follow through should happen as the after affect or continuation of your throw after release so it should become something that happens naturally, if its too forced then its likely your arm is not moving fluidly through the stroke, I think if you watch the slow mo of Phil Taylors throw he does exactly as Microtom describes in that sketch and I think MVG is the same too, MVG's follow through almost looks like his hand is going to come off lol!

I think some people are waiting for that to happen!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-19-2017, 01:20 AM)Microtom Wrote: Usually, newer players release their darts at more inconsistent times, such as too early or too late during the movement.
If you don't have a lot of elbow movement in your throw, this release time inconsistency lead to greater height inaccuracies.

A quick fix to that is to raise your elbow more. Here's a picture explaining this idea.

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/Zq1coZG.jpg]

As you can see, by raising the elbow, the hand's path is much more parallel to the dart's path, leading to a much wider window to release the dart and maintain accuracy.

The path that the hand follows is much shorter, which might make you believe that there isn't as much follow through. In reality, the arm's position at the end of the movement with the elbow raise is just as extended as in the movement without the elbow raise.

Many of the pros don't have much elbow raise, and it works for them because they have mastered the timing of the release of their dart. In the case of a new player that hasn't mastered this skill, an elbow raise in much more accurate.
How important is it to have a high level elbow?
Sometimes i got many low darts.. I tried to hold my elbow up but it doens't feel right.

Can u watch my throw and tell me what u think abt it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSklBd9g...e=youtu.be
Your throw is not too bad, you could just be releasing the dart too late if they are dropping low, also your setup may need tweeking, what weight darts, length stems and flights are you using?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(01-19-2017, 03:32 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Your throw is not too bad, you could just be releasing the dart too late if they are dropping low, also your setup may need tweeking, what weight darts, length stems and flights are you using?

Thanks a lot for your reaction. =)
Normal flights, in between stems and 25 grams darts (Raymond van Barneveld Phase 3)
have you got other setups you can try to see if it helps?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I found myself getting a little confused with the whole 'elbow up' thing. I thought it meant to start with a high elbow, but I'm actual fact it's to get the elbow up mid throw.... Right? Results seem to be better that way anyway...
I used to play darts with my Gran, and now I'm here. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  training darts for follow through Eso Rimmer 8 456 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Eso Rimmer
  Best way to ensure full follow thru Eddie_Arrow 9 826 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Corrosion
  working on follow through akprice 2 362 01-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: akprice
  Follow Through Xkyle813x 6 755 07-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Follow through help and tips GutshotGrant 6 782 03-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Last Post: GutshotGrant
  Follow Through (1 million dollar question) Aaron Chan 13 4,260 02-25-2016, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Aaron Chan
  Increasing my follow through Banz 25 3,810 11-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Last Post: nivla
  Hands after release and follow through(NOW with pictures) Grey Owl 9 3,539 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: BigE
  I have follow through but ALWAYS end up pointing towards left of D11 Regulatori 12 2,801 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Last Post: brenthahn