Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

How do you know when a flight is best putting to sleep?
Hi
OK so I have flights coming out of my ears due to trying out different dart shapes in different colours(it's best value for money to buy the 3x or 5x multipacks, so I always choose ones with multiple mixed colours), as well as retailers giving away unwanted flights with every darts purchase in addition to "goody bags" of flights.

Shafts have a high turnover with me, but I have all these flights but no idea when I'm supposed to throw them out. I've search through the forum and looked online and nobody seems to address this.

Here is a pic of one of my sets of flights - is this, for example, due for throwing? It flies ok and no different to when I first put them on AFAIK.

What are the signs that a flight is due for the bin?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Whenever you want to change it
Thanks Crusher. So flights have a very low turnover rate then.
(01-18-2017, 07:55 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Whenever you want to change it

Best answer to your question by Crusher you'll get IMO.

Personally the ones you have pictured would of been binned awhile ago, just me however. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I wouldn't throw a ripped or frayed flight. They cheap so replace. I wouldn't throw the ones in your pic.
It's all personal choice i know people there flight gets a little nick in it they change others they are chewed all up and still use them, depends on the flight and user some people rip them apart some dont
(01-18-2017, 07:57 PM)Jefferz Wrote: Thanks Crusher. So flights have a very low turnover rate then.

Depends on how tolerant you are to chewed up flights and how good your grouping is.... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

I change mine when they're torn, which usually takes about 5-7 days depending on how often I've thrown that week.  This probably says a lot about my grouping... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I mainly use Raw 100 or RD Hardcore, they are so cheap that if they're not perfect they are in the bin.
More often than not they are binned just because I fancy a change
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I go through flights at a pace. When theres even a mark on one its gone.

I don't mind them being a bit chewed up and looking all ugly, it's when they start getting bent out of shape that I change them
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'll use them as long as the shape is good. Any tears or severe dents and I'll change them.
Currently throwing 22g Michael Smith darts at a One80 Gladiator III board
Hmmm appears to be wildly different perspectives on this. No wonder I couldn't find anything definite.

I was kinda hoping for some signs such as darts veering off course more or them popping out of the shafts more or whatever, but it's looking like it's just personal preferences as to when they're done.

For me, I don't see the point in getting rid of anything until they're no longer functional. Even with shafts, they can still be usable even when one of the 4 flight holders(not sure if there is a name for them) have snapped off - the flights pop out more frequently but that's all. When 2 of them have gone then it's time for the bin because they are no longer usable.

Those flights in the pic are the ones in worst condition that I have, but there doesn't appear to be any changes in how they fly so maybe I should keep them until something more drastic occurs.
I know its in my head but always feel happier when my darts look sharp and crisp
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I have a couple sets of Cosmo Fit Airs and they've warped quite a bit. I still use 'em. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The best answer I can give is the same as Crusher's (wha, we agree on something?!), just when you like. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Flights are so inexpensive. I usually buy a large pack of standards and replace regularly. Torn flights can really affect your throw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flight shapes and flight trajectories and land angle B2B180 6 909 01-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF