Unicorn

XQMax Andy Hamilton 23g
Hi guys,

My name is Adrian and I am from Sarawak, Malaysia. I've picked up darts 3 years ago and I'm still active though I'm still bowling for the last 13 years.

This is my first time writing my reviews here. I am writing my thoughts on XQMax Andy Hamilton. First and foremost, as I have used Unicorn version, I was kind of surprised by the output since I'm into stubby design since the original Phase 5. After Phase 5, I started to use Power 95, then Red Dragon Chiefs, later on Sigma Pro 970, then to The Hammer's Unicorn set.

When I found out last year that he signed up with XQMax, the first thing in my mind was 'I would like to see how XQMax create his sets based on his preferences'. The next thing was when I saw the design in the forums here, I was like 'Oh my! I must have this!'

At least it was worth the wait for one month from the UK to here.

Enough with the chatter at the moment.

Here is the packaging

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

After I opened up the packaging, all I got is just a tray. For something that cost £41.65 excluding VAT, I was expecting for something at least either a leather darts wallet or a simple casing like what Unicorn, Winmau and Harrows do. I don't see either of them. Just a tray.

The sets up close. The grip wise is really aggressive, more than the maestro set.

Comparison between the 23g Unicorn version and XQMax version with Unicorn version on top. Originally it was gold coated but I didn't think it could wear out this fast after using it for at least 6 months plus and I normally practice at home every day. Also, I didn't think that XQMax version tip is much longer than the Unicorn version. Maybe Andy decides to use longer tip which is somewhere 38mm instead of commonly used 35mm? Just wondering

I am a rear gripper when I play darts. This is how my darts land using the default sets.

This is how my darts land using my usual Cosmo set up (The stem is no. 5).

I didn't think I can pick up with this set fast. Overall I find it good for me as I've been used to stubby design. For those who are into stubby set or torpedo set, I highly recommend this set.

As this is my first review, I hope the information is enough for you guys.

Earlier on, I had a thought of writing my thoughts on Pyro Gen 3 along with Pyro 80 Gen 3 but unfortunately, I have used them and they have some scratches after dropping on the rough floor while playing some games on soft tips.

Adrian
Hello Adrian, welcome to the Nutz forum. :hithere:

Well done on the intro and review, plus one. :thumbup:
Welcome to Nutz

Cheers
Tez

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
Welcome ,, great intro,,, Enjoy,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Good review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Current Setup: 18g James Wades
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 10 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10
Hi Adrian and welcome to the forum and great to see a review as your first post, so have a +1

Nice to see the comparison pic and good to get a perspective from a user of the old Unicorn ones Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Hi there and welcome to the group. Nice way to start the ball rolling with a good review
Thanks for the review and welcome Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..
I cannot see the pics somehow. Am I the only one? I am highly curious to see them!
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the review. +1 for that. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Hello and Welcome to the forum, nice review and some nice looking darts. One of my first sets were Hamiltons and I really liked them for a while, maybe worth getting a set of the new ones to try +1 for the review and pics

Member previously known as Daveheald

I can see pics on the forum website, not on tapatalk app. Weird.

+1 from me as well. Glad to read the grip is so high. I may want to try them now. All I miss is the balance with and without shaft.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Not keen on the darts but like the flights lol - nice review though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for this review, I have recently pulled my old Unicorn natural Hamilton's out of the drawer and find they are suiting a grip change I've made. Nice to see these side by side. I wonder how they would do with storm points, they look to have the same rather broad front profile as the Unicorns.
Welcome to the forum. Niced review. Personally I'm not keen on the darts, but that doesn't take away from the good job you did with the review, cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XQMax MVG Original Style 18G, 90% Tungsten Soft Tip Review Ehudakineyah 27 4,357 01-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: John Weita
  XQMax Michael van Gerwen Mighty Generation 2 23g darts review Getagrip 20 10,931 04-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Short Review: XQmax Yordi Meeuwisse 23g vanJupp 11 3,694 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: LPPK
  XQMax reviewed darts index mc1958 2 2,097 08-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  XQMax Green Demolisher 70% 25gr copigme 25 9,463 07-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: copigme
  REVIEW: Unicorn Andy Hamilton Maestro Premier Golden, 25g – an unexpected discovery WhiskyPops 29 6,269 10-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Michael Van Gerwen XQMax 23g darts review Getagrip 42 33,750 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Andy Hamilton 25g Maestro Golden 97% Tungsten Darts Review Getagrip 33 26,746 07-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Last Post: redhedkev